Status: Finally finished. :)

The Nagual

A New Life

As promised, they arrived at the coast where the car rental stood in the next hour. Kahili helped Felia out of the cabin. Noah offered to take over but Kahili ignored him. Felia was just regaining consciousness.

"Wait." Felia said. "Put me down for a minute."

Kahili walked her to the edge of the boat where Felia slowly slid down into a sitting position.

"What do you need?" Kahili asked, while Noah moved closer.

"Space." she said. Noah stopped in his tracks. "From both of you." she said quietly. Kahili got up and took about two steps back. "More." she said, her face scrunching in an unidentifiable emotion. The other two backed up about another foot. "More!" she shouted. She stood up and Noah and Kahili backed away to the other side of the boat. Felia leaned over the side she was on and became sick.

---

"This is where we leave you." Kahili said to Noah after she stepped off the boat. Noah nodded to her, lending a hand to Felia as she stepped off. "Here you are." Kahili said, fanning out one hundred dollars in cash.

"Keep it." Noah mumbled.

Kahili eyed him with a raised eyebrow but she let it pass. "Felia. Ready to go?"

She nodded and started towards her. It was only then that she had realized that she was still holding onto Noah. "S-sorry." she said quickly, letting go of him and walking to Kahili's side.

"See you in another life." Kahili said to Noah, all smiles.

He laughed a little under his breath and said, "Right back at you." He and Felia only shared a look.

Kahili turned away and started walking to the nearest Wrangler at the car rental. Felia followed her in step.

Each step that Felia took made her heart pound. She knew that this was going to be a big moment in her life. She still had the opportunity to run back to the boat, tell Noah to step on it, and forget there ever was a girl named Kahili that could turn into an owl whenever she pleased. She could go home and forget that she could turn into an animal as well. She could forget everything and live a semi-normal life.

Of course, there would be that time period when she would have to learn how to control herself. She really couldn't live a "normal" life when anything that makes her upset would make her change into a jaguar. So maybe she should continue on with Kahili. At least until she knew how to master her talent. Then, who knows. She could do anything she wanted to.

Felia watched Kahili exchange words with a rental man, knowing she would get a bargain price for just a smile in his direction. Then, she looked back at Noah who still stood where they had left him. They locked eyes and it seemed like the world stopped for just a few seconds. But the laugh that came out of Kahili brought her back to life. She looked back at the girl and made her decision. With one final look at Noah, she gave a single wave to Noah. He gave one back with a tiny smile on his lips but a very present void of one in his eyes. Felia turned her back and walked toward her new life.