Status: Finally finished. :)

The Nagual

The Meeting

One by one, the other animals slowly morphed into their human forms. They all seemed like regular people one would pass by on a street. Felia had wondered if she would ever glance at them twice if she passed them by on a sidewalk. Fraus had said something Felia didn't hear.

"No. Not yet." Kahili replied.

In a whisper, Felia asked Kahili, "What did he say?"

Returning her whisper, she said, "He asked if you had discovered your animal yet."

"But-"

"No, Felia. You didn't. Got it?" Kahili said with a dark undertone.

"Yes-"

"What are you two whispering about?" Fraus asked with a smile. "Oh, come now. If you actually do know what your animal is, you can tell us. Who else could you tell it to besides us, anyway? We've seen just about every animal."

"Felia, don't-"

"Why don't you let Felia speak for herself, Kahili?" Fraus asked lightly. "She's a big girl. She can handle herself without you smothering her."

"I wasn't-"

"Sure, sure. Alright, Felia. Tell us. Have you really not discovered your animal or are you simply embarrassed?"

Fraus and Felia had locked eyes but Felia looked away. She looked at all of the other Naguals in the clearing. Just about all of them were either average height or taller. Some were in their forties and others looked to be about sixteen at the oldest. They all dressed similarly in long dirty white pieces of cloth that tied around the waist making them all look like angels. It was comforting but something didn't sit right with Felia. She didn't like how heavy the air felt. She had to think of something fast.

"Actually . . ." she paused, looked quickly at Kahili, who looked like she was going to explode at this point, and then back into the eyes of Fraus. "I did discover my animal."

"Well, that's good." he said, also stealing a look at Kahili. "Do you want to share?"

"I'd rather not."

Fraus laughed and said, "If it's because you're embarrassed or something-"

"I am."

"Embarrassed?"

"Yes." Felia nodded.

"Well, like I've said before, we've seen every animal. And there really isn't anything to be ashamed of." His mouth curved but the smile was gone from his eyes. He was contemplating something in his head and Felia wished she knew what he was thinking.

Felia took a breath and said, "Does it matter if I show you?"

Everyone around her was silent. A single sound escaped Fraus Olc's lips that sounded like a laugh but the disbelief in it was very clear. "Yes." he said. "It matters. A lot, actually. You see . . ." he put a hand on her shoulder and continued as if he were speaking to a child, "I'm the leader. I suppose you already know that?" He waited until Felia nodded. "And with that title bears the responsibility of protecting my people from threats like you."

"But I'm not-"

"Oh, you can say anything in the world and I still won't believe it until I see it. I need to make sure you're not just lying to all of us. I need to make sure that I'm not putting my people at risk of being discovered by outsiders if I let you in this little . . . society. You understand, right?" He gave her shoulder a quick and tight squeeze. "Hm?"

"Yes." she said. "I understand."

"Good." he said, stepping away. "Then you shouldn't have a problem showing us your transformation." he stated.

"Fraus," Kahili stepped in, "She already transformed a little while ago. The process really takes a lot out of her-"

"Then we'll make sure she's properly taken care of, Kahili." he said, with an air of impatience. "Why don't you run off, somewhere? Go visit your friend. Sohrab, was it?"

Felia looked at Kahili. The redhead's eyes widened at first but she looked down, refusing to meet Felia's gaze.

"She didn't tell you about him?" Fraus asked Felia.

"Enough, Fraus." Kahili said, holding up a hand. "I'll go." With that, she turned and left the clearing. A sound of wings flapping once made Felia look up. When she did, she saw the familiar barn owl fly off to the right.

"Felia." Fraus said, drawing her back to earth. "We're waiting."