Status: Finally finished. :)

The Nagual

Know the Laws

The layout of Norden was something from a fairy tale. Small, cozy looking homes scattered across the rolling hills that expanded into the setting sun. Trees were bearing fruit that Felia had never seen before. The grass was short and emerald green. She could still hear the jungle-like noises of monkeys and mysterious insects behind her but it was as if they had entered an entirely different realm; maybe even a different universe.

"How-"

"The earth is full of wonders, isn't it, Felia?" Fraus patted her shoulder and walked away from her down a dirt trail that curved away from her.

She felt warm but it was different from the near-unbearable humidity of the jungle behind her that seemed to become smaller and less important. It was more like the first instance of the sun beaming on your body on the first day of spring. Scents of familiar flowers like roses and hibiscus caressed her senses, drawing her deeper into his dream-like village. She started to walk down the same path of Fraus to catch up with him.

"Fraus." she called out to him. In this new place, it was as if all fear and suspicion had fallen from her mind and melted into the ground below her. "Where is the advisor?"

"She lives on the edge of Norden. I'll have a guard escort you later. But now, we're going to the feast."

"Where is that?" she asked.

"In the center of the town. I can bring you there." He extended his arm for her to take. Behind her, Felia heard extra footsteps. As she and Fraus turned around, Sohrab and Kahili came out from behind the tall grass of the jungle and walked onto the path. Felia locked eyes with Kahili for only a second before Kahili looked away. Fraus broke the silence with, "Nice of you to finally catch up," with a tiny smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

"We didn't realize the time." Kahili explained.

"Always doing the talking." Fraus said, nodding to her. He started to walk away.

Felia stood right where she was, stuck between the two opposing forces of Kahili and Fraus. She didn't trust either of them so much but lately it seemed to her that Fraus was becoming more and more trustworthy than her former companion.

"Felia." Kahili addressed her. Fraus stopped where he was. "Felia!" she said louder.

Felia only looked at Kahili up and down. She didn't say a word but she walked to Fraus and left Kahili standing next to Sohrab at the edge of the Norden line.

"You can't be serious!" she called after her. Her call, however, fell on ignorant ears as Felia and Fraus walked away from her and towards the center of town together.

-----

Where she was, Kahili could hear the beginning of a gathering as there were voices starting to sing and music starting to play. She hadn't moved since she saw Felia disappear behind a nearby hill with Fraus.

"We might as well go." Sohrab said, wanting the silence to end. "Not going wouldn't look good."

"Sohrab . . ." Kahili started, crouching down to a sitting position. "You can be so . . . dumb sometimes."

Sohrab cleared his throat. He wasn't prepared for that. "Care to elaborate?"

The red-headed girl waited for what seemed like a long time. Her voice finally cracked the quietness of the village when she spoke. "I wasn't trying to help her."

"Oh?" he questioned.

"You know the laws, Sohrab. If someone can conquer the leader by any means necessary, that person becomes the new leader." she said, tracing a pattern in the dirt below her.

"So you were just using her." he concluded.

"Nothing gets past you." she muttered. "But it seems like it was all in vain anyway." There was yet another pause before she continued. "Looks like Fraus already has her around his finger."