Status: Finally finished. :)

The Nagual

A Decision

"Where are we going?" Felia asked Kahili as they moved back in the direction of Felia's hut.

"We can't walk to the meeting. We're going to rent a car. Savvy?"

There was a brief silence before Felia broke it again. "So there will be others? Like me?"

"Like us."Kahili corrected as she pushed back the tall grass that lead to the clear route to the hut. "Yes. There will be more like us."

"Alright." Felia said, almost with relief.

"But don't think that just because you're one of us that everyone will accept you. We're just like regular humans. Only more powerful. That's the only difference." Kahili said with a slightly bitter tongue.

Felia wanted to press her, to explain more about that, but she felt it would be better if she didn't ask about that. So instead, she asked, "What is a Nagual?"

The pair of them were just outside the hut when Kahili laughed lightly. "Well, first, you're saying it wrong. It's pronounced Na-wal." She said, enunciating both syllables very carefully. "The 'g' is silent."

"Fine." Felia said. "What is it?"

Looking at her, Kahili said, "It's a person who can morph into animals."

"Simple as that?" Felia asked.

"Is anything?" Kahili said, more to herself. She continued, "You can only change into the animal that you're sort of . . . assigned to at birth. You can't choose your animal."

"Alright. Anything else?"

"Your power depends on the animal. Mine is a barn owl, as you already know. I'm not that powerful but you've noticed how I can let myself be heard or practically scare the daylights out of you because you couldn't hear me coming?" she said with a teasing smile.

"Too well." Felia said.

"Well, silence is my power. Haven't figured out what your power is, though." Kahili said, trailing off as she became lost in her thoughts. Felia moved past her and went into the hut. "What are you doing in there?" Kahili asked.

"I'm packing."

"You won't need any of that." Kahili said, making her way into the hut as well. She took the small suitcase that was already in Felia's hand and set it on the floor. "It would be rude to take anything to the meeting, in any case." Kahili moved to the lone window and whistled out for the nearest boat driver.

"Why?" Felia asked.

"You can't take any possessions into the after-life, right?"

"No, I guess-"

"Well, there you go. Your life before this is dead. You're starting over." Just then, the boatman docked his boat against the hut and came out, ready to take the two women anywhere. "Can you handle it?" Kahili asked.

Felia looked into Kahili's face for a long time. This was it. Now or never. Whatever she chose, she had to live with it. Keeping all of this in mind, she nodded her head and said, "Let's go."