Sequel: He was the Moon

Dance to Anything

Hey stranger, you're behind my eyelids when I'm all alone.

There is something about that boy, I thought, swinging back and forth on my perch above the dance hall, as desperate men tried to grab at my trailing skirts. I’m not sure what. But I need to know him. I will die if I don’t.

“I am sorry to say, but it is time to say … ‘good night,’” Pete told the audience, and I felt my perch slowly rising up into the rafters. “Good night and good luck.”

I rapidly climbed out of my perch and made my way through the passage back to the dressing room as Pete made his closing remarks to the crowd, bidding them all to come again soon.

“I’m surprised at you,” a soft voice said sharply and a hand grabbed my shoulder. “Breaking the rules like that. Every Dog knows better than to show affection for a customer.”

I spun around to see a slender dancer in a white dress. “It’s just a game, Will,” I said curtly. “’Sides, you’re the one who secretly as a boyfriend.”

A deep flush spreads across William’s face and he narrows his make-up darkened eyes at me. “If you tell Pete about Gabe, I swear to god I’ll make sure you’re kicked out of the company,” he hissed.

“You know neither of us would dare to anything to other, don’t you,” I said, meeting his tense gaze. “Because what is one half of the Set without her match?” I paused, then spat on the wooden rafter’s at Will’s feet. “Nothing! That’s what.”

William sighed and followed me down the dressing rooms. “I’m surprise that no one’s realized how many of us are actually boys,” he muttered under his breath.

“I’m thankful more than anything,” I muttered back. “Since we’d be out of a job and home if they did.”

“Well done, my beautiful Dogs,” Pete exclaimed, coming up behind William and I and putting an arm around each of us. “Another flawless performance.”

William shot me a look, clearly saying, Not so flawless that I didn’t see you kissing that boy, which I ignore.

“Petey,” I said, turning to him and running my hands down his chest. “Can we talk, sweetheart?” He nodded and I added, “In private.”

He gave me a surprised look. “What do you have to say that you can’t say in front of Crystalline?”

That really rubbed Will the wrong way. “Don’t call me that!” he spat. “My name is William.”

“Excuse me, Mister Beckett,” Pete drawled, his mocking use of the word “mister” hitting home exactly as he intended it to. “Come, Opus.” With an extravagant sweep of his arm, he beckoned me into his private office. “What it is?”

“Don’t call me ‘Opus’ when I’m not on stage,” I said, feeling every bit as injured as William. “That’s not my name.”

Over dramatic as always, Pete heaved a sigh and gestured me to sit down on the dumpy divan in the corner of the room. “Fine, Ryan. What do you want?”

I remained standing and watched him watch me with appraising eyes. “I want to be sold out tonight,” I said bluntly.

“What?” He gaped at me in shock.

“I want to be sold out tonight,” I repeated. “The gentleman I danced with has asked for my time.”

Pete shook his head. “Impossible!” he snapped. “You [i[know that. Boys like you and Crysti don’t get sold out.”

“I am going to be sold out tonight,” I told him firmly.

“Oh and I suppose you’re going to make sure he’s so drunk that he won’t notice that you have a fucking penis!” Pete shot back.

I bristled; the image of that boy—my boy—intoxicated infuriated me. “No,” I growled. “But I am sure he will not tell.”

Quick as a flash, Pete was standing behind me with his hands tight on my shoulders and his lips against my ear. “Don’t get attached, Opus,” he hissed. “It will kill you.”

“I’m not attached,” I said coolly and brushed him off me. “I simply want a thrill for the night. ‘Sides, once I’ve got this vierge hooked on me, I’m sure he’ll become one of our best patrons.”

Pete still seems unconvinced. “I’ll let you sell yourself out tonight,” he said, then hit me across the face, hard enough to sting but not to bruise. “But if this falls down on your head, don’t expect any sympathy from me!”

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” I muttered back and slipped from the room, tripping on my high heels as I ran for the dressing room I shared with William.

“What was that about?” Will asked as I closed the door behind me. He was already changed out of his costume and was in the process of washing the make-up from his face with a rag.

“I’m being sold out tonight!” I told him gleefully as I let my black dress fall from my body.

The rag dropped from his hand. “Congratulations,” he said coldly, watching me change with frigid eyes. “You just got promoted into whoredom.”

“Don’t be like that,” I said bitterly.

“Like what, Ryan?” he spat back. “Don’t be like what? You want to be a fucking whore? Being a drag queen like this is bad enough! What the hell is wrong with you?!”

Overwhelmed by his rage, I sat down on our queen-sized bed, feeling small and worthless and dirty. “It’s the nice boy I danced with,” I said in a sad whisper. “I thought … I just thought he could be my saving grace.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, so basically this is super Moulin Rouge-themed.