The Only Truth

ni.

Her nails dug against the dirt as she pushed herself upwards, her curls matting against her back. She was in dire need of a shower, and she knew it. Every animal, plant, and organism knew it.

She pushed herself upwards, her head cocking to the side as she closed her eyes and listened for a nearby river. She regretted not staying where she was beforehand, remembering how nice and cool the water was against her skin.

Fuck.

She was more conscious now, more aware of her surroundings. It was as if all that salt and water that drenched her whole, had wiped away some of the sadness that had eaten her away.

She didn't feel anywhere close to renewed. No. She just felt slightly better.

And that was good enough for her.

She pulled herself up to her feet, gently leaning and arm on a large rock formation, taking a couple of steps forward, being careful not to tip over and fall onto her knees. She hadn't eaten in a couple of days now, her feet dragging her lifeless body around, not even bothering to hunt for some food.

She jumped from rock to rock, carefully stepping faster and faster, doing her best to get away from her home. It was a difficult ride when trying to escape from the Land of Lightning.

When she was younger her grandfather used to bring her not too deep into the mountains to watch him jump around from mountain to mountain, running all the way up and pirouetting backwards, falling gracefully on his toes. It would always make her smile and laugh in amazement, her fists loosening as she extended her arms for her cherished grandpa to carry her up yet again.

He loved her like no blood relation could ever affect them. He cared for her just as every family member should. Just by watching him she knew that she wanted to do just that when she grew older. When she grew more experienced. When she truly became a kunoichi.

Of course that was back then when she was four years old. A year later her dear grandfather passed away from an unknown disease, something not even the best of medical-nins could help him.

She had worked her way upwards quickly. A chuunin by seven. A jounin by thirteen. She busted her ass and she sure let people know it. It was almost no surprise when the Raikage called her into his office to let her know he wanted her to be part of his ANBU.

She was seventeen. The perfect age of maturity. And she was more than ready. The day they tattooed her right shoulder and handed her her own fox porcelain mask she was more than happy to make her grandfather proud.

Too bad the day before her first mission her parents drugged her, kidnapped her, and sold her away to the highest bidder. She didn't even get to make herself proud.

Who knew that the prodigy ANBU warrior would so easily become a missing-nin?

Not even she could see it coming.

---

She could barely catch her breath when she reached the outskirts of Shimogakure, her back sliding against the glossy side of the mountain. It smelled like rain. At least the Gods had heard her plea for a shower.

She couldn't jump anymore, her knees giving up on her two mountains ago. Instead she started to climb her limp body down the rocky sides, being careful not to slide down and smack her body against the ocean. It was better than rocks, but the idea still could not comfort her.

As soon as she saw land she realized how much she had traveled, her mouth letting out a large sigh. For now she was safe. For now. She first had to let her seep into the water, swim across to the other side, and run to a super secret hiding place. Then she would be sort of safe.

She closed her eyes, releasing her grip from the rocks, and letting her body curve back and dip into the ocean, her hands extending alongside her head. She felt the rush of the cold water slither around her arms, neck, waist, legs, and feet, as she pulled her head out, letting in a large breath of air she quickly breathed in. She started swimming as best as she could, her eyes becoming drowsy from the exhaustion. Even so her body pulled her upwards as her legs raced against the water, her arms pushing through the waves.

It was her mistake.

Maybe if she had noticed before the many cuts and scratches she had received on her legs and upper thighs she would've cleared time to cure and bandage them before she threw herself into the ocean.

As soon as she felt the sharp pain pulling down at her right leg she knew this was not good. She took a deep breath in before the thing pulled her all the way down, as she slowly turned to realize it wasn't alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
<33 comments are loved! don't worry, Kisame is on his way.