‹ Prequel: Timing Is Everything
Sequel: Country Strong
Status: Like it? Let me know! : )

Give Into Me

This Is Real, This Is Your Life In A Song

“So you want to run through Me and Tennessee quickly? Or maybe try out When The Stars Go Blue, we haven't done that in a while.” Riley asked the thoughtful looking Caroline sitting across from him.

Her head was turned to her right side, and her gaze was set on the darkened stage far off in the distance. An amused smirked broke out across his lips as he watched her.

Riley and Caroline had planned to go over some of the songs they would be singing along the tour, it was currently only eighteen days away and the pressure to get a finalized set list was high. They had agreed to meet up at a small, empty country bar in Long Beach. She had talked to the owner of the place and he happily let them both relax and go through their lists of possible songs. Caroline told him it had been the location of her first performance, so it was a special place filled with fond memories for her.

However, since he had arrived at the designated meeting spot, Caroline had been drifting in and out of her own world for the past hour and a half. Given Caroline's inability to break from her stupor, he had taken it upon himself to begin jotting down ideas for the set. He had made his own set list before but he would've liked to get some opinions from the brunette close by.

“Caroline.” He called a little louder than he had only a few moments ago. He cleared his slightly irritated throat, waiting on his duet partners reply.

When he got nothing in return, Riley got to his feet and slowly made his way over the guitar that leaned up against one of the many chairs scattered through out the bar. He slid the strap over his head, when the guitar was securely in place he got his fingers in starting position and strummed the instrument softly.

What was that about the ballroom dancing class I asked about. It's all I've thought about cause you were saying...” He sung softly, his voice echoing through out the empty building.

Caroline's gaze snapped over to him as soon as he began singing. He inwardly smiled at the surprised look in her eyes. Her lips slowly curved into a subtle smile as she tapped her foot along with the familiar notes being emitted from the guitar.

We might get a chance to talk and talk might lead to dance and maybe dance might lead to dates and dates to aging.” Riley smirked slyly, sending Caroline a playfully wink. Caroline responded by rolling her eyes but continued listening. “Hope you let your intuition precede my reputation cause I have one.

Oh, I am what you see. I am not what they say, but if I turned out to be could you love me anyway?” Riley casually walked over to Caroline, circling around her as he played. She tried to fight her lips from spreading into a wider smile, not wanting to encourage him further.

Caroline had known Riley harbored feelings for her since Travis let it spill two months ago after he had far too much Jack Daniel's in his system. His mouth always became a dangerous orifice when intoxicated. Caroline sighed, she knew the song wasn't about her, Riley had written and recorded it before the two of them had ever met. But being aware how he felt about her, she couldn't help but feel a little guilty hearing the honest words being sung aloud.

Standing anonymous, hoping your heart will just wake up and ask for me by name.

The twinge of guilt only increased tenfold as her thoughts hadn't been on her charming duet partner, but on another man. A man that up until recently hadn't deserved to even be thought of in the way Caroline had been thinking of him. Caroline's brows furrowed as her mind tried to push away the thoughts of her old friend and ex-boyfriend with the mesmerizing hazel eyes.

As if noticing her apprehensive nature, Riley gently nudged her shoulder with his elbow as he moved in front of her, a content smile on his face.

Maybe someday you'll ask for me by name, just not today.” He finished with a smirk. Caroline put on a small, yet genuine smile on as she clapped quietly.

"Now that I have your attention..." He trailed off with a chuckle and slipped the over used leather strap off before placing the guitar down. He took the seat across from her, sitting on it backwards so that his chest was pressed flush against the back of the leather backing of the chair.

“Sorry, I just have a lot on my mind right now.” Caroline waved it off casually, hoping that Riley would let her thoughts go unspoken.

Riley quirked an eyebrow at her as he shrugged. “Do you want to talk about it? I think it's bothering you more than you'll admit.” He stated, taking in her slightly worried expression.

She tore her eyes away from Riley as she swallowed the lump forming in her throat. “I don't know if you'd want to hear it.” Caroline brought her gaze back up to meet his. “It's about a guy.” She breathed softly, watching Riley's features soften upon hearing her admission.

Unfortunately for her, she managed to catch the quick flash of hurt shoot through his eyes. He blinked several times as he recovered quickly, masking his real emotions with those of curiosity.

“Is it that Matt guy?” Riley tried his best to mask the annoyed tone threatening to come through, he wasn't about to upset Caroline more than she already was.

He hadn't been told much about Matt, he only knew the story of how they got together. Caroline liked to keep to herself when it came to him and that in itself told him that Matt had done something to hurt Caroline in the past. She was typically an open person, never afraid to speak her mind or be honest with him when she thought a lyric didn't flow well with the rest of the song he was writing. If Matt was capable of making such a vivacious and outspoken person turn into the unfamiliar introspective mess before him, Riley had a big problem with that.

Caroline bashfully hung her head in shame, nodding tepidly. Riley exhaled a large breath and casually ran a hand through his messy hair. He kindly reached out to rub the clearly distressed girl's arm, hoping to alleviate some of the worry by her vocalizing it.

“You can tell me what happened, Caroline. No judgement.” He offered as he watched Caroline ponder the proposition.

What Riley didn't know was that Caroline wasn't contemplating whether or not she wanted to tell him what was on her mind. Instead her mind replayed the kiss her and Matt shared on the beach twenty four hours ago.

She could still smell the salt from the ocean mixing with the alluring aroma of his musky cologne as his hands slid slowly down her body. She felt her knees weaken at the mere thought of it. Caroline's lips were soon engulfed by a tingling sensation at the recollection of his lips moving fluently with hers. As if on reflex she brought her finger tips up to her mouth and rested them there until the sensation dissipated.

She had been wrapped up in his arms for no longer than a few minutes before Caroline had realized what she had been doing and with who. Upon realizing the situation she was in, she remembered planting both of her hands on his broad chest and used all the strength she could muster at the time to push him away. She wasn't going to let him back in that easily. She had spent three years attempting to get over him and he had spent a majority of that time engaged to another woman.

The puzzled and hurt expression on his face was still clear in her mind. She hadn't known what to say so Caroline merely collected her shoes and made her way back inside the house leaving Matt standing alone behind her. She begged Travis to take her home, he didn't hesitate for a second as he pulled out his keys and walked with her out the front door.

“Well?” Riley spoke softly, breaking her out of her daze for the second time that day. “What do you say?”

Slightly flustered, Caroline blinked several times before she casually licked her lips. “Um, it's okay. I'd rather get back to what we were supposed to be doing.” She assured with a smile as her left hand came up to move her bangs out of her eyes.

Riley nodded, then reached for the list he had put together for himself on a table nearby. “So are you thinkin' about breaking out any new songs for the tour?” He asked as he slipped the paper onto the table between them. “Fans love that stuff.”

Caroline's teeth gently nibbled on her bottom lip. “I don't know.” She let out a large breath before she flicked open her song book, quickly flipping through the pages filled with her loopy writing. “I don't have a lot of new songs to sing.”

“I heard you're going back to the studio after the tour.” Caroline peeked up at him just as Riley raised his eyebrows at her expectantly

She sighed heavily, bringing her elbows onto the table and supporting her head with her hands. “I was supposed to but I guess I won't be if there's nothing to record.”

Riley chuckled lightly. “I'm sure you have some, you're constantly writing in that thing.”

“Yeah but it doesn't mean everything is good enough.” Caroline defended, knowing full well that sometimes she'd have to write duds in order to write the higher quality songs she had in the past. However, as of late she hadn't had much to inspire her and all she had written were duds, minus a select few.

“Let me be the judge of that.” Riley said, reaching out to take the notebook from her.

If it had been any one else in his position, Caroline wouldn't have let them flip through her songs but Caroline knew that Riley was the best person to look over her material. He was her partner after all and he had more experience than she did.

Caroline sat nervously in her chair as his fingers turned the pages, occasionally reading over her girly scribble. She hated sitting across from him as he read. Her mind instantly began racing, wondering what each facial expression he made meant.

She watched his eyebrows raise slightly and his lips curve into a soft smile. His eyes looked up at her before he placed the book back onto the table.

“Play it for me?” He inquired as he slowly slid the notebook back towards her. Caroline's hands brought the book closer so she could read which song he wanted to hear.

Caroline felt her stomach drop at his choice. He had chosen the song that had been inspired by Jimmy's passing. She had forgot that the song was in her book, she remembered planning to remove it after it had been completed and stow it away for personal keeping. Apparently she got busy and hadn't done that, now her musical partner was asking to hear it. Caroline inhaled an unsteady breath before she got to her feet, slowly walking over to her guitar that still rested, untouched, in it's case.

As soon as she had the guitar in her hands the spotlight on stage turned on, illuminating the vacant leather stool in the center of it. Caroline looked over her shoulder and saw Riley across the room standing in front of the electrical control panel. Riley motioned towards the now brightly lit stage, causing Caroline to shake her head at him.

She got herself in a comfortable position on the stool, resting the guitar gently on her knee. Riley had since made his way back to the chair he had been sitting in previously but moved it so it now faced her. Caroline placed her fingers along the neck of the guitar before she slid her eyes closed, it was the only way she had been able to sing the song in the past.

If I die young, bury me in satin.” Her right hand gently strummed the chords, her voice coming out soft and melancholy. “Lay me down on a, bed of roses. Sink me in the river, at dawn. Send me away with the words of a love song. Oh, oh.

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother.

Caroline recalled the memory of a time not too long after Jimmy's funeral where she had gone to visit his parents as she had grown to know and love the couple through out the years. She was heading back to Nashville the next day and wanted to pay her respects and bid them a proper farewell. His father hadn't been home, but his mother was. Caroline remembered the sad smile on the older woman's lips and the glassy wall of tears that hadn't left her eyes since her son's passing.

She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors.

Mrs. Sullivan thanked her for coming back for the service and that it meant a lot to everyone. Caroline insisted that there was never any doubt in her mind about returning, she wanted to pay her respects and make sure her and Mr. Sullivan were alright. Caroline remembered the soft smile mixed with the somber look in Mrs. Sullivan's eyes as she told Caroline of something that occurred after the funeral.

Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no. Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby.

As she, her husband and two daughters left the cemetery, there had been a spontaneous downpour of rain, on an otherwise sunny day. As a result of the sudden falling droplets of water, a faint rainbow stretched across the usually clear blue sky. In a soft tone, Mrs. Sullivan informed Caroline that's how she and her family knew Jimmy was at peace.

The sharp knife of a short life. Well I've had, just enough time.” Caroline strummed harder as she hit the chorus, repeating the words she had sung at the beginning of the song.

Meanwhile, Riley watched in awe. She had him feeling the clear devastation she felt when she lost her late friend. She was unaware of her capability to draw in the crowd and make them feel whatever she was singing about. To him, that was a clear indication of the long and prosper career that was ahead of her.

I've never known the lovin' of a man but it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.

Those lyrics had been inspired by the years Caroline had spent watching Danielle and Jimmy together. While growing up Danielle had her share of boyfriends, some good and others not so much. She never hesitated to tell Caroline all about them, but never once had Danielle told Caroline that she had fallen in love with one. It wasn't until Jimmy stumbled, and literally he stumbled into her at Central Park, into her life that she had admitted for the first, and only time, that she was in love.

There's a boy here in town who says he'll love me forever.

They were together for years, their love of music had brought them together just as it did with herself and Matt. Danielle had been into music and dance as far back as Caroline could remember, so when Danielle found out he played drums she promptly got him to play while she practiced her routines. Jimmy happily agreed, but only if Danielle promised to wear the super short, shorts she otherwise hadn't gotten much use out of until he came along.

Who would have thought forever could be severed by the sharp knife of a short life”

During their peak, they both had bright futures ahead, Jimmy's in music and Danielle in contemporary dance. Just as the boys' second album was being released, Danielle had an audition for a large dance company that would surely get her recognized. While she did get accepted to the company, Danielle suffered a career fatal injury, soon after she received the news, which left her unable to continue her dream and have to settle with their fathers back up plan of going to college. Caroline remembered Jimmy being completely there for Danielle during everything, never once gloating about his success amongst her inability to achieve hers. Instead he took her in his arms and softly assured her that he'd love her regardless of where the crazy road of life took them.

Oh, I've had, just enough time.” Caroline felt herself smile softly. Memories of Jimmy, while they were always going to be sad, never failed to make her smile. He had that quality about him that not may others did. He had brought happiness to so many, probably more than she could even fathom.

So put on your best boys and I'll wear my pearls.” Caroline ended, trailing off and letting the chords of the guitar fade out with her voice. Her eyes fluttered open, briefly being assaulted by the harshly bright spotlight before they became accustomed to it again.

When her vision became clear again, she was surprised to see someone else standing in the room only a few feet behind her duet partner. Riley, however, was unaware of that fact and softly applauded her.

“That's definitely worthy of recording.” Riley smiled proudly.

Had Caroline not been distracted by the well built man standing behind Riley, she would've blushed and thanked him for praising one of her most prized pieces. Instead she was left staring bewildered at Matt, surprised that he appeared without any notice.

“Care?” Riley furrowed his brows at her for the third time within the hour. He turned around, curious as to what Caroline was fixated on. He was met with the familiar face that had been the topic of his and Caroline's conversation only a few minutes prior.

“I'll leave you two alone.” Riley stood up from his spot and casually made his way to the nearest exit. Looking back at the two once more before pushing the door open.

Matt stepped further into the bar, his hands firmly stuffed into his pockets as he did so. Caroline set the guitar down on the stage, before getting to her feet and walked down the small set of steps on the side of the platform. Her eyes set on him the entire time.

“How long have you been here?” Her voice carrying through out the vacant bar, curious if he had heard her song about their late friend. She cautiously walked over to him, making sure to keep herself at more than an arms length away from him

“Not long, just heard the end.” He shrugged casually. “What's it called?”

“What are you doing here?” She asked, ignoring his question and posed one of her own. It was somewhat rhetorical since Caroline had a pretty clear idea of what his answer would be. She had known Matt long enough to know that he wasn't one to let a moment, like the one they shared on the beach, go unspoken.

“Uh,” Matt removed one of his hands from his pockets to rub the back of his neck. “well you left pretty quickly the other night.” He said with a slightly bitter laugh, causing her to feel the tiniest bit of empathy for him.

Matt stood silent for a few more seconds before speaking again. “I just,” He ran a hand through his short brown hair before continuing. “I just wanted to know why you ran off.” He flashed her a sheepish look, his hazel eyes begging her for an answer.

Caroline inhaled a shaky breath. “Because you hurt me, Matt. I haven't forgot that, it was a moment of weakness.” He licked his lips as he downcast his eyes, which Caroline assumed was because of the shame he felt for his past actions.

“I thought we were getting past that.” He quickly pointed out, furrowing his brows at her.

Caroline firmly crossed her arms over her chest, which had become a common protection mechanism of hers. “It's going to take more than a moment of emotional weakness to get us back to how we used to be.” She answered softly as she watched him swallow the lump in his throat.

“That's what you call it?” The hurt in his voice didn't go unnoticed by Caroline. “Why did you kiss me back then?” He challenged, a harsher tone lacing his voice. One that she had heard before but had almost never been on the receiving end of.

She shook her head faintly. “Like I said, it was a moment of weakness. We were both upset over that video of Jimmy.” Her tone remained firm with a slight edge of vigor.

Matt's shoulders slumped, clearly feeling defeated by her feelings on their intimate moment. Caroline inwardly scolded herself as she began to feel a twinge of sympathy swell in her stomach.

“Let's just work on being friends again.” She offered as he looked up at her. “Can you do that without assaulting me with your mouth?” She joked, letting herself smile at the man in front of her.

Matt held her gaze for a moment before his lips curved upward into a faint half smile, giving her a partial view of his dimples.

“I think I can do that.” He breathed softly, nodding his head. “No guarantees though.” His tone was serious at first but then he broke into a light chuckle, his dimples on full display.

Caroline smiled back, all the while she couldn't help but wonder how long the plan of being just friends could really last.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry this took so long to get out. It's kind of a weird chapter, I know. (I also apologize for making ya'll cry last chapter! I feel bad now! I hope I didn't make anyone cry too hard with this one :/) Getting back from vacation legit sucks and ugh, work has been kicking my ass. I've also started the sequel to Just Say Yes, my Brian fic and it's called Open Your Eyes. Check it out?

The songs from this chapter are You'll Ask For Me by Tyler Hilton and If I Die Young by The Band Perry. Just curious, does anyone listen to the songs I use and post the links to? I'm not saying it to be rude and demand you do or anything, I'm honestly just curious if anyone listens to the songs used in this fic. Let me know with a lovely comment? ;) Thanks to everyone who gave me amazing comments in the previous chapter and those of you who are subscribed. Ya'll are amazing people. Truly.