‹ Prequel: Timing Is Everything
Sequel: Country Strong
Status: Like it? Let me know! : )

Give Into Me

A Young Girl's Dream No Longer Hollow

“Matt, did you send Brian home?” Caroline called from the kitchen as she heard the front door open. There was no answer but with her radio in the background she had assumed that Matt had simply not heard her over the powerful voice of Carrie Underwood.

What Caroline didn't hear was the three sets of shuffling feet making their way down the hallway towards the room she occupied. Meanwhile, Caroline plated the rest of the breakfast she had been preparing and set two full plates on the neatly set kitchen table. She straightened out the cutlery and set down some napkins on the table before she heard someone join her in the kitchen. Caroline reached out to turn down the volume of the radio before speaking.

“How does it look?” She asked excitedly, eager to impress Matt with her greatly improved cooking ability. Living with Travis, who hadn't set foot near a stove, for three years had driven her to be courageous and venture into the kitchen more than she usually did. Before living in Nashville, the most complicated thing she could make was a simple spaghetti dish.

“Really good.” She heard a deep voice compliment her, however it didn't belong to the man who had spent the night in her bed. Caroline glanced over her shoulder to find Brian standing in the kitchen with his hands buried deep in his jean pockets.

“What are you--” Caroline started but stopped once Matt appeared behind Brian. She opened her mouth again but promptly shut it when she caught sight of the familiar head of blonde curls stepping around Matt's large frame.

Caroline furrowed her brows as she studied both Brian's and Matt's faces, neither one of them giving her an inkling of emotion. “What's going on?” She asked aloud, not directed to anyone in particular, but merely to anyone who was willing to answer.

However, both men remained silent as Danielle now pushed her way past Brian and stopped a few feet from her younger sibling. Danielle stood there silent for moment but spoke once Brian nudged her lightly.

Danielle looked over her shoulder to catch the firm look Brian was sending her way. She cleared her throat and turned back to her sister. “We need to talk, Caroline.”

Caroline tilted her head to the side, utterly confused as to why Brian, Matt and Danielle were all suddenly together. The first question that came to mind was how Matt and Danielle were being civil with one another and somehow weren't making snide comments at one another. The second question that arose was why Danielle was the only one speaking out of the trio.

“About what?” Caroline asked with a puzzled, innocent look in her eye.

“It's something I should have told you a long time ago.” Danielle answered meekly before looking back over her shoulder to the men standing silently behind her. “Do you guys mind?”

Both men shook their heads, Brian turned on his heels but Matt took three long strides towards Caroline. Once he was close enough, one of his hands found its way to the small of her back as his lips pressed a gentle kiss on Caroline's temple. Caroline remained thoroughly confused as she watched Brian disappear down the hall and Matt attempt to make a quick exit.

Caroline's brows furrowed as she grabbed a hold of Matt's hand that was about to leave her side, both Danielle and Matt looked at her, startled. “No, whatever you have to say can be said in front of Matt.”

Matt squeezed her hand at the comment causing Caroline to glance up at the small proud smile on his lips. “As much as I love that you're standing up for me...” Matt's smile slowly began to fade. “I think it's best if I give you two some time to talk, you may not want to see me when everything's said and done.” Matt muttered ominously which caught Caroline off guard.

He slowly unlinked his hand with hers before following Brian out of the apartment. It wasn't until Caroline heard the click of the door close that Danielle began speaking once again.

“Do you want to sit down?” Danielle motioned towards the living room but Caroline silently shook her head no. Danielle sighed heavily and proceeded to pace back and forth. “Okay.”

Caroline crossed her arms over her chest as she prepared herself for whatever had to say to her. She was preparing herself for another strict lecture on not letting Matt get back into her good graces. Caroline was also prepared to tell Danielle that it was too late, he already had and she didn't regret it in the least.

“Remember back when that record producer in Nashville first sent you that letter with the plane ticket?” Danielle began shakily as she ran a unsteady hand through her long blonde hair.

Caroline narrowed her eyes but nodded. “Yes.”

“Remember how you didn't want to go?” Danielle inhaled a large breath as Caroline silently nodded yes to the older woman's question. “I—god this is a lot harder than I expected.” Danielle closed her eyes briefly before opening them once again to see her sisters curious eyes stare back at her. The guilt of her actions making her feel sick to her stomach.

“When Matt broke up with you...it wasn't his idea. It was mine.”

Under any other circumstances, Caroline's mouth would typically drop open in shock of the news she was being told. However, in this case, her jaw clenched tightly and her large innocent eyes narrowed into an emotion not typically associated with the tiny brunette, anger.

“I'm so sorry, Caroline. I couldn't let you pass up the chance to be everything you've dreamed of since you were little.” Danielle's voice softened as she took a step closer, resting a light hand on Caroline's arm. “I didn't get to live my dream but I wanted you to have that chance.”

Caroline's felt her temperature begin to raise with each passing word her sister spoke. She roughly pulled away from Danielle so that they were no longer making physical contact of any kind. She felt tears prick at her eyes as memories of the pain the heartbreak had caused came rushing back. She was close to forgiving Matt for his mistakes but now to find out that a large part of that pain had been directly caused by someone she deemed her best friend hurt more than anything Matt could have done or said all those years ago.

“Get out.” Caroline spat harshly, taking several steps back, putting more distance between the two blood relatives. “I don't want to see you right now.”

“Care--”

“I should have known you had something to do with it. I mean, you were never happy that I was with Matt, especially after you and Jimmy broke up. It's like you were jealous of me or something.” Caroline sneered but Danielle shook her head, denying the authenticity of the statement.

“I wasn't jealous of you and Matt. Leave Jimmy out of this, he has nothing to do with this conversation.” The pain in Danielle's eyes at the mention of her late boyfriend didn't go unnoticed by Caroline. However, Caroline couldn't deny the fact that seeing Danielle hurt by something she said made her feel a little satisfaction.

“Did you lie to him too? Is that why you two broke up?” Caroline let her words fly freely, not taking time to think of the pain they were sure to cause her older sister. A bitter chuckle escaped Caroline's lips. “I bet you only wanted me to go so I would make it big and you could just fucking live off of me.”

Danielle's mouth promptly dropped open at the low comments Caroline was making.

“How long have you been without a job now? Two months? I bet you're not even fucking looking, you're just enjoying living off your famous sister.” Caroline removed the two plates of food from the table and dropped them harshly into the sink, causing a loud clatter to fill the kitchen. “That stops right here, I want you out. Now.” Caroline stared firmly at Danielle who looked like a kicked and wounded puppy.

A feeling of guilt began to swell in the pit of Caroline's stomach but ignored it as she was done being walked all over. It was time that she stood up for herself and not let those who claimed to love her most, use her the way they had been for far too long.

Tears fell down Danielle's pale cheeks as she silently nodded her head, accepting her fate. “I'll go stay at moms and dads.” Danielle disappeared into her room, only to emerge twenty minutes later with a duffel bag in hand and silently made her way out the door.

Caroline made her way into the living room as her breathing accelerated due to the alarming news she had just received. She felt like she was on the verge of hyperventilating by the time she sat herself on the couch. She curled herself up on the plush piece of furniture as she recalled the last time she had been this upset was three years prior, after Matt abruptly broke up with her.

She squeezed her eyes shut as she became aware that the only person who had made her feel somewhat better during the mess of it all was no longer able to do so. She opened her eyes slowly and they immediately set upon the framed picture placed on the table at the end of the couch. The picture was taken about a month before she left for Nashville, she was smiling happily as Jimmy stealthily worked his way into the shot and kissed her cheek lovingly.

A sad smile crept onto her lips as she remembered all too well the last time Jimmy would work his magic and make her feel a little bit better about her on going problems.

“Who doesn't know what I'm talking about? Who's never left home, who's never struck out to find a dream and a life of their own.”

Natalie Maine's voice sung softly over the radio as Caroline removed various items of clothing from her drawers. With several t-shirts in hand, she placed them neatly into one of the two large suitcases laying open on her bedspread. Once they were safely inside the luggage, she ran a hand across each cheek. A mannerism which had become far too familiar to her since Matt had broken her heart and left her sobbing in the middle of her apartment.

Just before the song hit the chorus, Caroline heard a faint knock come from her closed bedroom door. She sighed heavily ready to tell Danielle she wasn't up to talking and that she was perfectly fine with packing on her own. Danielle had been at her side ever since coming home to find Caroline slumped in her room with puffy red eyes and a damaged heart.

“I can pack on my own, Danielle. Thanks though.” Caroline insisted, her annoyance with her older sibling being hidden by the sickly sweet tone in her voice.

“Good thing I wasn't planning on helping.” Jimmy quipped as he stepped into the room. He flashed Caroline an innocent smile as she turned her head to look at him, his blue eyes shining brightly. Caroline managed a weak smile in response, not having enough energy to even fully commit to the gesture before continuing her packing.

As she removed some jeans from her bottom drawer, Jimmy took a moment to take in her disheveled appearance. It was very unlike the Caroline he had come to know. Typically she always looked presentable with the happy brown eyes and the ever present smile on her face that shone brightly. Her smile was the trait he had noticed right off the bat when he had met her for the first time several years ago. However, the girl in front of him now, adorned red rimmed eyes and nose to match as well as the saddest and most pitiful smile he had ever seen. Her brown eyes seemed dull and lifeless compared to their previous lively nature.

Jimmy silently moved further into the room and watched her move back and forth from her drawers to the suitcases on her bed. He wasn't sure what to say, he knew that she was only this way because of his friends decision to end their otherwise blossoming relationship. Jimmy's silence didn't go unnoticed by Caroline.

“You don't have to check up on me, Jimmy.” Caroline muttered almost bitterly which Jimmy caught the moment she began speaking. He sighed heavily as he took several long strides towards her with his tattooed arms outstretched.

Caroline spotted him out of the corner of her eye but tried to pretend that she was strong enough and didn't need his comforting embrace. Jimmy continued to stand before her, arms open wide as she neatly folded yet another piece of her clothing.

“Get your cute butt over here before I have to come over there and do it myself.” Jimmy warned firmly but flashed a charming smile. Caroline immediately dropped the sweater in her hands to run over to him. Her small arms encircled his waist and she buried her face in his chest as his large hands rubbed her back soothingly.

“Why did he do this?” Caroline muttered into his shirt as tears once again escaped her innocent brown eyes. Jimmy felt the wrecking of her body against his, he pulled her tighter as they more and more violent.

“It'll be okay, Care bear. I promise. Remember what I said to you back when I realized you liked him?” He said softly as brought one hand up and began playing with her hair. Her grip on his waist only tightened as he did so.

“Timing is everything.” Caroline mumbled into his shirt, to which Jimmy chuckled lightly. She felt the vibration of his chuckle on her cheek as it was pressed against his chest.

“That's right and I still believe that.” He confirmed but she remained silent, not in the state of mind to consider this moment being a stepping stone for the future. “You really should have just gone for Brian though. At least he's upfront about being an asshole.” Jimmy attempted to joke, she released a tiny laugh but it was suffocated by her over powering sobs instead.

When her sobs calmed and she was only left sniffling, Jimmy released her from his embrace. He pulled away slightly and wiped the remaining tears on her cheeks away with the pad of his thumb.

“You're too cute to cry, so don't waste it on that jackass.” Jimmy placed hands on either side of her face before bending down to place a gentle kiss on her forehead. “Plus if Danielle sees you crying she'll blame me for it. She already warned me when she let me in and I don't feel like getting yelled at right now.”

Caroline mustered a small laugh at his comment which in turn made him smile. “At least you two are talking, it's a start.” She answered with a light shrug of her shoulders.

Jimmy nodded his head towards the two open suitcases as they both made their way over to the bed to continue packing. Caroline stopped at her vanity before opening the next drawer to look at her drab and puffy appearance. She frowned at her reflection but saw Jimmy staring into the mirror at her, shaking his head.

“I can't believe you're leaving.” Jimmy muttered wistfully, a forlorn and faraway look in his blue eyes. He looked away just as Caroline caught it and continued placing clothes in the suitcases. “Are you scared?”

Caroline turned herself around so that her lower back pressed against the vanity, and held her arms securely around herself. “Yeah, kind of.” She nodded softly as she peered up at Jimmy. “But it'll be good to get away and meet some new people who are willing to help me with my music.”

Jimmy half smiled and took a few steps towards her. “If anyone deserves it, it's you.” Jimmy engulfed her in another warm hug before letting her get back to her packing. He offered to help with the remainder of her closet but she insisted she'd rather be alone.

As Caroline got to work on her closet, Jimmy slowly made his way to her bedroom door. His hand rested on the door knob but before he left, he turned back to his long time friend.

“Care?” He spoke softly, watching her remove hangers from the tiny space she called a closet. “Promise me something?”

“Hmm?” She didn't bother looking over at him but he took that as his cue to continue. Jimmy cleared the large lump forming in his throat.

He hadn't expected to get so emotional about the younger woman’s departure but she had become such a prominent constant in his life that it was difficult to imagine what it would be like without her living a few blocks away. Or who he'd run to when he got inspiration for a song and he wasn't sure if it was up to par with his previous work or the sound the band was striving for. She had always been that helping hand that was there when he needed it. He wasn't quite sure what he'd do without her but he knew that this was her once in a lifetime opportunity.

“I know there are more important things but...don't forget to remember me, alright?” Jimmy breathed as Caroline's head snapped over in his direction. Her brows furrowed slightly as her brown eyes filled with a clear look of doleful heartache. For the first time in several days, it had nothing to do with Matt.

Caroline lips curved up into a small smile as she took in Jimmy's unusually insecure demeanour. “I could never, Jimmy. I promise.” She confirmed with a firm nod of her head. Jimmy smiled happily before silently exiting her bedroom for the very last time.


“Caroline?” Matt's voice bellowed through out the spacious apartment. Caroline promptly brushed the falling tears from her cheeks, she blinked several times in an attempt to stop anymore from falling.

She pushed herself up from the couch just as Matt found her, his face twisted into a worried and unsure expression. Caroline stared at him for a moment, she had so many questions for Danielle but even more for Matt, himself.

Why had he done this to her in the first place? Why hadn't he told her the truth of Danielle's involvement? Why had he led her to believe it was all because of him?

“Are you okay?” He asked, his deep gruff voice coming out shakier than she had ever heard it. It was clear that he was scared of the impact the news would cause their blossoming relationship, as was she.

“I just found out that the one person I thought would never in a million years hurt me, turn out to be the cause of the worst pain I've felt in my entire life. So yes, Matt. I'm just peachy.” Caroline stated sarcastically, throwing her hands up in the air in aggravation. Matt remained silent for a moment, letting her temper simmer slightly.

“I'm sorry, I shouldn't have listened to her.” Matt took a few steps towards her but she held out her hands, stopping him from getting too close. “You have to know that I regret it every fucking day. But I couldn't let you give up your dream. You wouldn't ask that of me, and I didn't want to be the guy who asked that of you.”

Caroline shook her head as she released a light scoff. “It wasn't up to you to decide my future, Matt. It was mine.” She informed him with a stern look in her eyes, she turned away after she was done speaking.

“And would you have gone to Nashville if we stayed together?” Matt attempted to make her look at him, but she flat out refused. “Honestly.” His voice practically begged her to look at him.

Caroline's jaw tightened and she released a heavy breath. “I'd like to be alone, Matt. Please.” She muttered, ignoring his question completely.

Matt didn't bother to fight her, he knew she was on shaky ground already and he wasn't about to push her further away by arguing. He slowly turned on his heels and began his exit, but before he left the room he had one more thing left to say.

“Just remember what Jimmy said to both of us, Care.” He breathed softly, waiting for a reaction from Caroline. Her brown eyes stared at the far corner of the living room, avoiding his longing hazel stare completely. When it was clear he wouldn't get a reaction from her, he made his exit, leaving her alone.

Timing is everything.” Caroline whispered to herself as her eyes shifted back to the picture of herself and Jimmy. Wishing above anything else that she could feel his arms wrap themselves securely around her small frame and his smooth voice assure her that everything would be okay in time.

Instead, all she was left with was a silent and suddenly cold apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo, I just wrote this basically today so I hope it's alright. It been in my head for days (weeks even) I just haven't had time to write it all down. Welcome to all my new subscribers, I gained some! That makes me happy, and thanks to all of you faithful readers and commenters. I love you all, really.

I need my everyone's help! I'm having trouble deciding on a title for the sequel, it's between Chances Are or Country Strong. So it's up to ya'll to give me feedback on which sounds better. Only three chapters of this left! Let me know what you thought, please? :)