‹ Prequel: Timing Is Everything
Sequel: Country Strong
Status: Like it? Let me know! : )

Give Into Me

Closer To Heaven And Closer To You

“I'm gonna burn for you, you're gonna melt for me.” Riley hummed softly, his fingers brushing gently along the smooth strings of his guitar. Perched in a chair across from him, was Caroline, looking lost in her continuously busy thoughts.

His lips curved into an amused smirk as he watched the longing look in the young woman's eyes only deepen as he continued to sing the new song she had completed. He had been in the process of getting his belongings together, since in less than thirty-six hours they'd be on the road touring, when Caroline urgently asked him over to share her new lyrics.

She hadn't taken the time to explain to him how she came about the lyrics scribbled neatly onto the page. However, by the two names signed at the bottom of the page, he was under the assumption it had something to do with all too familiar name of Matt Sanders.

“Come on, come on. Tell me what's wrong.” Riley urged all the while singing along to the melody of his duet partners new song. His changing of the lyrics caused Caroline's intense trance to suddenly break. Her brown eyes tore themselves away from the large window looking out onto the city of angels only to rest upon him, slyly smiling at her.

Riley let his fingers leave the wooden instrument so that he was able to really focus on the woman's issue. “Tell me everything.”

Caroline's lips tugged into a small half smile before she downcast her eyes to the ground. “That's sweet Riley.” She mumbled softly before looking back up at him with with soft brown eyes. Her fingers swept the fallen pieces of hair further to the side until they were tucked safely behind her ear. “I don't think you'd want to help me with this problem. Let's just focus on the song.” Caroline motioned to the lyrics that Riley had been reading from.

“Well even if you won't talk about whatever is bothering you, I don't think I can sing that song with you. It's way too personal, it wouldn't feel right.” Riley released an exaggerated sigh before placing the wooden instrument gently onto the bare coffee table. Once his hands were free, he reached out one hand and rubbed one of her arms kindly. “Why do you think you can't talk to me about it?”

Caroline peered at him sadly, her eyes telling him that her problems were not the kind to simply disappear with time, she needed to talk. Her slender shoulders lightly shrugged as her bottom lip sat slightly pouted.

Riley flashed her a weary look before speaking. “Is it because it's about Matt?” He asked and felt her body tense under his touch the moment he had brought up the lead singer. If the name scribbled on the piece of paper hadn't been an indication, her reaction certainly would've given it away. “I don't know why you think you can't talk to me about him. We're friends, Care.” Riley lightly squeezed her arm before pulling as he read the uncomfortable expression gracing her face.

“We are friends, I just don't want you to have to listen to this.” Caroline explained softly. “Especially knowing how you feel.” She mumbled almost inaudibly.

Riley's ears perked up at her last mumbled sentence. “And how do I feel?”

Caroline released a heavy sigh before throwing her hands up in the air in defeat. “Travis told me how you feel about me.” Her brown eyes locked with his as a stark silence fell over the room. Riley's mouth hung slightly parted before he released a small chuckle.

“Travis told you how I feel about you huh?” Caroline frowned at Riley's amused demeanor, unsure if he was simply laughing because he was fighting off his anger or if he truly found the situation chuckle worthy. “What exactly did he tell you?”

“Everything, that you've had feelings for me for months and it came out about a month or two ago one night when it was the two of you drinking.” She stopped when she caught Riley's hands cover his face and a small sigh came from his throat. “What's wrong?”

“Care, I didn't tell Travis I liked you. We were drinking that night but I was trying to tell Travis that I had feelings for him, not you.” Riley's voice told her in a serious tone before his hand came up to rest on the back of his neck. He let his calloused hand massage away all of the tension now building up in his body. “I'm gay, Care.” He explained softly, his eyes darting to the floor as the explanation left his lips.

Caroline's back straightened and her brown eyes widened. She could feel her mouth slowly drop lower as each silent second passed the singing pair by. “I had no idea. Now I feel dumb.” She admitted as her cheeks began feeling the familiar sensation of blush creep into place.

“Don't be. It's not something I openly go around saying.” Riley leaned back further in his chair looking as if a fifty pound weight had been lifted off his shoulders. “Being in country music it makes you feel like you have to live up to a certain standard, I love the music but I hate the flack that comes along with being different so I keep it to myself.”

“Riley, I feel like such an idiot.” Caroline placed a hand on her chest as she scolded herself for not being able to catch the signs on her own. Her features softened as a thought dawned on her. “So why did Travis tell me you liked me?”

“Who knows, the guy was further gone than I was. I'm surprised he even remembers anything to be honest.” Riley shrugged as if brushing his moment of honesty aside but Caroline caught the pained look in his eyes.

“Oh, you still like him.” Caroline mumbled without thinking, she snapped her mouth shut once she realized what had come out. Riley's downcast head slowly rose so that his longing eyes met hers. “I'm sorry. It just kinda came out.” She mustered a soft smile as he forged a weak one in return.

“I'm alright. Travis is straight, he won't ever feel that way about me. I've accepted that.” He kept his voice strong and tone adamant. “But you,” Riley started and pointed a calloused finger in her direction. “you have the chance to be with the guy you've been in love with since you were seventeen. Not all of us get that chance, why let a simple wrong decision get in the way of that?”

Caroline's brows furrowed as Riley's insightful words sunk in, she hadn't told him what had transpired between her and Matt but his words told her otherwise. She tilted her brunette head to the side as she studied his soft facial features.

“Travis told me what went down.” Riley uttered as if reading her puzzled mind. She released faint scoff before she shook her head. She should have known once she let Travis in on the truth of her and Matt's past that he would surely let Riley and the rest of their crew know. After all, they did consider themselves a family. "We all want the best for you, Care."

"I know." Caroline slowly nodded her head as a meek smile inched its way across her lips. The brunette tore her eyes away from Riley and glanced over to the guitar resting on the coffee table. “You want to continue now?”

“I'll take a rain check, I think you have more important matters to deal with.” Riley jutted his chin to something behind her. Without giving it a second thought, Caroline whipped her head around to catch sight of Matt's tall frame standing meekly in the doorway. His large fingers fumbled with the silver car keys to his fully restored pick-up as Caroline's eyes lingered on him.

Before Caroline had the opportunity to protest, Riley was up on his feet. He placed a gentle kiss on her cheek before making his way over to Matt. Once within an arms length distance, Caroline's duet partner clapped a hand on Matt's shoulder before speaking.

“If you let that girl go for a second time, then you really don't deserve her.”

In all of Caroline's years of knowing Matt, he had never been one to show signs of fear or be intimidated by anyone. However, as he digested Riley's comment about not deserving her, she saw the clear apprehension forming in his eyes and the meek stance his large frame took. Matt didn't reply to the country singers comment, he merely nodded his head before Riley made his exit.

“So...” Matt started as the clicking of the front door signaled that they were now alone. He lightly tossed his keys from hand to hand, in an attempt to conjure up the right words to rectify the situation. “Are you willing to talk?”

Caroline swallowed the lump forming in her throat before crossing her arms firmly across her chest. “I said everything I needed to say, Matt. I don't need to repeat myself.” She answered with a tiny shrug of her shoulders.

“Then listen to me?” His voice came out soft and barely audible if they weren't standing in such a small space.

Caroline wordlessly nodded her head before Matt took several long strides forward. She knew that Riley had a fair point when he told her that a wrong decision on Matt's part didn't have to end their relationship completely. She was willing to hear him out before deciding once and for all what the future held for the two of them.

“I wanted to talk to you about Danielle, not me.” He revealed slowly, as he shifted on his heels. “I just... Please don't be so hard on her, she's your best friend.” Caroline was slightly taken back at his words.

For all she knew, Danielle and Matt had always been on opposing ends and constantly had to one up each other. As far back as she could remember, it was never a proper 'family' outing unless Danielle and Matt had come to blows over something. Usually by the end of the day it was settled, but they still never considered themselves friends. At best they were acquaintances who simply were only in each others lives because of their respective relationships with herself and Jimmy.

“We're not friends, we never have been but even I know that she needs you.” Matt locked his eyes with hers. It was as if he knew exactly what she was thinking. “We both thought what we were doing was the best thing for you. I'm not going to lie and say I regret listening to her. I'm glad I listened because look at you.” He motioned to the spacious two bedroom apartment nestled in the heart of Los Angeles but she knew that he meant in the grand scheme of things, primarily her boisterous singing career.

She knew had she not of gone to Nashville to fulfill her dream, her whole lifestyle of touring and recording would never have become a reality. “It still hurts to know that she played me for a fool like that and made me believe you were the fucking devil, Matt.”

“Yeah, she didn't go about it the right way, I agree...” He trailed off as his lips tugged upwards slightly, noticing that Caroline was slowly coming around. “but I think you need to talk to her. You two need each other.”

Caroline released a light sigh before nodding her head. Some of her golden brown hair fell out of her messy bun and instinctively Matt's fingers brushed it delicately behind her ear. “And what about us?” Caroline almost whispered as his touch sent a faint shiver down her spine.

“I'm right here,” He smiled as he watched Caroline's eyes flutter shut under his touch. He pulled back slightly, wanting for her brown eyes to meet his. When they fluttered open again, he slipped a finger under her chin so that the eye contact would be hard to break. “if you'll still have me.” He flashed her a sweet dimpled smile, immediately releasing a rush of butterflies to course through her midsection.

A light feminine laugh escaped Caroline's lips before she regained her straight faced composure. “What is it about you that makes me give in so easily?” She wondered aloud, not expecting an answer.

The sweet smile was then replaced with a devilish smirk. “My irresistible good looks?” He quipped with a deep chuckle as Caroline rolled her eyes. She attempted to walk away but Matt caught her by the waist and pulled her body flush against his. Her hands found themselves pressed up against his broad chest as his mouth came to rest just below her ear, planting a soft kiss in the sensitive area.

“It's because I don't want anyone else but you.” Matt whispered against her goose bump ridden skin, causing a satisfied smile to inch across her lips. “Regardless of what happens, I'll still be there front row center tomorrow to see you perform.” She pulled back slightly to look at him.

“That must be it.” She smiled before pressing her lips softly against his. Matt's gripped tightened around her waist before they broke apart. “I guess I should go find Danielle. I don't even know where to look.”

Matt kissed her lightly on the lips before taking her small hand in his much larger one. “I have an idea.”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“Matt?” Caroline mumbled softly as the fully restored pick-up truck came to a slow halt. After leaving her apartment in the heart of Los Angeles, Matt had offered to drive her down to her childhood home where she assumed Danielle would be staying. However, during his entry into the beach town they grew up in, Matt had ventured off to a part of Huntington she hadn't set foot near in almost a year.

“What are we doing here?” Caroline furrowed her brows as Matt's hands tightly gripped the steering wheel, causing his knuckles to turn white. He clenched his jaw as he swallowed the dry lump forming in his throat. An occurrence that seemed to happen whenever he was within a block of the large stretch of land.

“You wanted to find Dani, right?” His voice came out hoarse, the pain overwhelming him was obvious by his somber tone. Matt shut the rumbling engine of the truck off, leaving the two of them in a silent staring contest. “She's probably here.” He said, motioning towards the cemetery.

“What makes you think that?” Caroline questioned curiously, as her eyes set on the cemetery that held her late friend and her sisters ex-boyfriend. Even though she knew this was where Jimmy had been laid to rest, she wasn't quite sure why Matt assumed that she would find Danielle at that particular place. Danielle had barely been able to attend the funeral, Caroline had to practically force her out the door.

“Just trust me.” Matt answered solemnly, mustering the best smile he could. Caroline nodded her head before reaching for the handle on the door. She hoped out of the vehicle when she heard Matt open his door as well. She let her feet hit the cement walkway that led through the cemetery, she took a several steps before she noticed that Matt wasn't following her.

She glanced over her shoulder to find him leaning against the front of his truck with his muscular arms crossed over his chest. Caroline shuffled over to him, stopping once she was within an arms length of him. “Aren't you coming?”

She watched him swallow harshly before glancing down at her curious face. “This is something you should do on your own. I'll be here.” He ran a hand lightly along her arm before placing a chaste kiss on her slightly parted lips.

Caroline silently nodded her head before she turned on her heels and began walking in the direction of James Sullivan's final resting place. As she got closer, she caught sight of a small body curled up next to the tree that Caroline recalled being significant marker for his headstone. She wrapped the loose fitting sweater tighter around her body as the slightly chill October air started to blow. Familiar blonde curls began dancing in the wind, revealing that Matt was in fact correct about Danielle's whereabouts. Caroline quietly made her way towards her sister, immediately noting the sound of sniffling and the slight shaking of her body.

Caroline wasn't sure how to make herself known, Danielle's eyes were locked on the granite headstone and looked to be lost in her thoughts. However, just as she was inching closer, Caroline's foot stepped on a small branch and the sound of the snapping wood was loud enough for the huddled up blonde to tear her eyes away for a brief moment.

Caroline mustered a weak smile, before taking a few short steps closer. “Sorry to interrupt you.” She said meekly, but Danielle looked away quickly before running her fingers lightly under her red puffy eyes.

“I was just leaving.” Danielle pushed herself up from the ground before wiping away the dirt that had gotten onto her black tights. Once she was finished, Danielle stuffed her hands deep into her jacket pockets and attempted to step past Caroline.

“You don't need to leave.” Caroline held out her hands to prevent Danielle from brushing past her. The blonde stared at her younger sibling in confusion, unsure of the brunette's intentions. “I came to talk to you.” Caroline revealed as Danielle's tense body seemed to relax slightly.

Caroline motioned towards the spot Danielle had been previously sitting in and the two sisters took a seat next to one another. A few silent moments passed before Danielle chose to break the silence.

“How did you find me?” She questioned as the chill wind refused to cease even the slightest bit. Danielle's blonde spirals whipped recklessly in Caroline's direction, every so often Caroline felt the soft hair lightly dance across her cheek.

“Matt.” Caroline breathed as Danielle's eyebrows raised slightly. “I was surprised too.” Caroline chuckled softly before silence hit them once again.

“I'm not, he's seen me here a few times. I come here whenever I'm having a bad day.” Danielle spoke with a slightly robotic tone. “The past twenty four hours haven't been so great.”

Caroline stared intently down her fumbling hands. Seeing Danielle in person and just how distraught she was, sent a wave of guilt to pool in the pit of Caroline's stomach. The brunette could feel her sisters eyes on her but she wasn't sure how to start the conversation. “I'm sorry.” She decided with the easiest option and hoped it would end with her desired result.

Danielle sniffled twice before replying. “Sorry for what?”

Caroline peaked over at her older sibling, feeling guilty for the harsh words she had thrown at her twenty-four hours prior. “For what I said.” Caroline's brown eyes softened as she let the words flow from her mouth. “Everything, Dani. I was just mad and overwhelmed--”

“Stop.” Danielle said rather loudly as Caroline was slightly taken aback by her loud tone. “I'm the one that fucked up, I'm the one that shouldn't have stuck her nose into your business, so I'm sorry but just know that I did it because I wanted something better for you.” Caroline could hear the crack in her sisters voice and knew full well that, that was a sign of more tears.

“Dani...” Caroline slid her arm around Danielle's shoulders and pulled her closer.

“There's something else I should tell you.” The blonde mumbled almost incoherently but given Caroline's close proximity, the words hadn't fallen on deaf ears. Danielle promptly made note of the tensed muscles in Caroline's arm. “Don't worry, it has nothing to do with Matt. It's about me.”

Danielle pulled away from Caroline's embrace and situated herself so she could look her younger sister in the eyes. “Remember when I aced that audition to that dance company in New York but then I got hurt and I couldn't dance anymore?”

Caroline slowly nodded her head as she recalled Danielle receiving the phone call that had made her the happiest Caroline had ever seen her. She also recalled the utter heartbreak in her sisters voice when she broke the news of her career ending injury. As quick as her dream came true, it was suddenly and cruelly taken from her.

“I lied.” Danielle held her breath as Caroline's head snapped quickly in her direction.

“What?” Caroline was momentarily rendered speechless as she took in Danielle's defeated and meek posture. “What do you mean you lied? You never got in?”

“No, I did get in.” Danielle shook her head of messy blonde curls as her finger tips traced the letters of Jimmy's name that were carved into the stone. “I faked my injury so I wouldn't have to go.”

“Why?” Caroline's tone raised as she was alarmed by the sudden reveal. Danielle's eyes shifted to Caroline then back to the granite headstone bearing Jimmy's name. They stayed locked there for several minutes before Caroline slowly realized the cause of the lie. “To stay with Jimmy...”

Danielle slowly nodded her head before tucking some of the loose blonde locks behind her ear. “Silly huh? He was everything to me though, I was twenty years old and my boyfriend was traveling around the country and wanted me to go with him. When he found out that I got into the company and I had to go to New York, he told me that he wanted me to be happy like he was. Of course back then I was too blinded by the being in love aspect that my dream didn't really seem that important anymore.”

Caroline caught the regretful longing in Danielle's eyes and it was seeing that pain first hand that made Caroline realize her sister's reasoning behind the plan with Matt. It wasn't because of her jealousy like Caroline had accused previously, nor was it because she wanted to live through Caroline. It boiled down to being a simple case of her not wanting Caroline repeating her mistakes.

“Do you regret it?”

“I didn't at first and a part of me still doesn't because I got to spend all that time with him but yeah over the years I slowly came to realize that I threw my one chance at doing what I loved out the window because I wanted to hold onto someone. I think... I think a part of me even started to resent him for it even though he had no idea. I feel like a horrible person.” Danielle mumbled as fresh tears fell slowly down her pale cheeks. Caroline reached a hand out to brush the warm tears from the chilled skin of Danielle's face. “Instead of thinking I knew best, I should have just listened to what Jimmy always said.”

“Timing is everything?” Caroline smiled softly as Danielle glanced at her curiously. “He may have said it to me once or twice.” Danielle laughed lightly, but the laugh soon turned into a sob. Before Caroline knew it, Danielle's body was back to wrecking itself as she cried over the mistakes she had made and her heartbreak of having to sit at her former boyfriends grave who had never known the truth.

“I still love him.” Danielle gripped onto Caroline tighter and in turn, Caroline wrapped her arms securely around the sobbing blonde. “I never got to tell him, Care.”

“You just did.” Caroline whispered softly into Danielle's hair as the wind rushed wildly around them and her eyes set on the granite headstone. They sat embraced for a moment before Caroline insisted they get out of the gusty and chill cemetery. The sisters silently walked back to towards the front gate, Matt still stood in the same position that Caroline had left him in.

He slowly uncrossed his arms as the pair neared, Caroline could sense Danielle's apprehension in her tense body. Matt took three long strides before he opened the passenger door and Caroline ushered Danielle into the seat.

She shut the door and followed Matt around to the drivers side, before he had the chance to usher her inside, she placed a soft hand on his forearm and pulled him out of Danielle's sight. Matt stared down at her confused before she opened her mouth to speak.

“I love you.” Caroline said softly, uttering the three small words that Danielle had never gotten to say to Jimmy before his sudden departure. “I just wanted you to know that.” Caroline flashed a small smile as Matt's finger tips lightly skimmed the side of her face.

“I know.” He whispered back before pressing his lips softly against hers. “I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
*hides* Don't hate me. I've had school, work, a new boyfriend, family drama and yeah, you name it. I apologize for the long wait. I love all of you who are keeping up with me regardless of my unreliable updating pattern. Please keep doing so! I appreciate it.

This chapter isn't stellar but hey, I'm kinda rusty so hope you sort of like it? Only two chapters left! Eeek. I'm kind of in love with the next one, not gonna lie. This is unbeta'd too so give me a break? Haha. :/