‹ Prequel: Timing Is Everything
Sequel: Country Strong
Status: Like it? Let me know! : )

Give Into Me

I'm Gonna Get To You, You're Gonna Give Into Me

Matt, with Johnny at his side, stepped into the House of Blues venue that was set to be the first leg on Caroline and Riley's North American tour. The lights were slightly dimmed, red and blue lights shined on the stage, illuminating the spots that both would would take once the show began.

“Why did we even come in the front? Shouldn't we wish Care good luck?” Johnny asked, pointing his thumb towards the various roadies and employees of the venue walking back and forth between the front of the house to the back of the house.

Mat chuckled lightly recalling his and Caroline's talk earlier in the day. “Caroline has her traditions now, she's insisting on keeping with them which means no pre-show interruptions.” He mumbled, somewhat annoyed. He knew Caroline had her traditions and didn't want to change them in fear of having an off night but he would have liked to see her before everyone who attended got the chance to.

“Plus her and Riley have to go over the new song they're singing tonight.” Matt resisted the urge to let his temper get the best of him. The thought of Caroline singing the song they wrote together with another man made him uncomfortable, especially since her partner held some feelings for his girlfriend.

“You okay man?” Johnny asked as he noticed Matt's fist tightly clenched together. Matt released his fist and gently nodded his head, letting the thoughts of Caroline and Riley leave his mind momentarily.

“Are Zacky and Gates here already?” Matt asked not spotting any of his friends faces amongst the several employees and roadies scurrying about.

“Nah, not yet. They're stuck in traffic, the baby was crying so Zack and Lisa had to calm her down.” Johnny said as his fingers moved from letter to letter along the keyboard of his cellphone. A startling alarm clock sounding ring tone went off before Johnny looked up and opened his mouth to speak. “Lacey's here already though, she's with Danielle.”

Matt's eyebrows raised slightly at the news, not so much in surprise since he knew Danielle would be attending, but more so in how convenient the situation was. He had planned to talk to Danielle since everything came out but figured he'd let Caroline and Danielle work out their issues before he stepped into the situation. Now that everything between the sisters was fine, he was determined to get his one on one time with the blonde.

“Where are they? Did she say?”

Johnny was silent for a moment, Matt figured that the bass player was text messaging his girlfriend and asking her of their whereabouts. As he waited for his friends answer, Matt buried his left hand into his jacket pocket and felt the cold sensation of metal against his fingertips. It wasn't until another loud beep sounded from his mobile device did Johnny reply.

“Left side stage.” He muttered before glancing down at the bright light beaming from the small electronic device.

Matt turned his head and strained his neck to search across the venue, within a few seconds he caught sight of the all too familiar blonde curls glistening underneath the harsh lights of the stage, next to her stood Lacey's small frame and matching cropped black hair. Without a word to Johnny, Matt descended across the venue, weaving through the bustling crew to the two short women chatting idly in the corner.

Lacey spotted him first, she subtly nodded her head towards him causing the blonde who had her back to him to turn her head. Once he caught her glance, Matt tightened his hand around the small object in his pocket. He shifted his eyes briefly to the ground before peeking back up and meeting Lacey's brown eyes with a solemn look on his face.

“I'll give you two you a minute.” Lacey smiled sweetly before laying a gentle hand on Matt's forearm as she passed him. The lead singer felt a lump begin to form in his throat. He had been mentally preparing himself all morning for what he was about to do but being in front of Danielle with her curious blue eyes studying him so intently, made him unsure if he should actually go through with it.

“Matt?” Danielle called to him, dragging him out of this second guessing thoughts. Her neatly shaped brows raised at his odd behavior. The two still weren't friends and thanks to Caroline, Matt was aware of Danielle's belief that he disliked her.

“I – uh...I just wanted to talk to you, get some things off my chest since we'll be around each other again.” Matt shifted on his feet, as he palmed the silver band. He took his hand out of his pocket but kept his fist closed until he had the chance to get his story out. “I know we're not really friends and you can go back to hating me after this but...”

“I don't hate you, Matt.” She breathed calmly but Matt could tell despite her strong front, that she held an air of nervousness. She had the same petrified yet analytical stare as her sister and he couldn't believe it had taken him that long to realize it. “I always thought you were the one who hated me.”

A small chuckle escaped Matt's lips. “I don't hate you either. Caroline said that you were worried about me hating you but I don't.” He explained softly, letting his tone become softer as he continued. He tried to ignore the strangers surrounding them and walking passed them every ten seconds.

“I'm glad that's settled.” Danielle interrupted, her eyes were soft and thankful, something he had never really seen from her before. “She told me you were the one who knew where to find me,” Danielle flashed a faint smile as her blue eyes became glassy. “with Jimmy.” She finished in a shaky voice.

“Funny you mention him.” Matt extended his enclosed fist and slowly unclenched it to reveal a small silver band that held a decently sized diamond. Matt watched Danielle's eyes widen at the sight, her brows furrowed as she took a closer look at the ring.

“What...?” Danielle sputtered, words momentarily leaving her.

“It's an engagement ring." He informed the speechless woman in front of him.

"Why would Jimmy have an engagement ring?” She bitterly laughed but let a few tears slip down down her cheeks before roughly wiping them away.

“Because he bought it for you.” Matt began as he watched the various expressions crossing Danielle's face, confusion seemed to be the most common. “I hadn't really thought about it until recently, Mrs. Sullivan wasn't sure who it belonged to. She thought it might have been Leana's at first.”

Danielle's eyes darkened at the mention of Jimmy's last significant other. “How do you know it's not? I heard they got married before he died.” She spoke in a tone he knew all too well, it was one that she most commonly used when arguing with him years ago.

“Just so you know that was a rumor.” Matt made it a point to look Danielle directly in the eyes so she knew that he was being serious. “And I know this was meant for you because I was with him when he bought it five years ago.” The lead singer revealed with a small smile gracing his lips as he remembered that day as if it were only yesterday.

Danielle's bottom lip trembled as she tried to hold back the tears threatening to fall once again. Matt extended his hand further, prompting her to take the ring from his hand but she simply looked too frightened take it herself. With his free hand, Matt grabbed Danielle's left hand which had been in the process of wiping underneath her eyes before slipping the piece of jewelry easily onto her ring finger.

“I figured you should know just how much he loved you. The guy didn't even believe in marriage but he cared about you enough to want to give it a try.” He released Danielle's tense hand from his grasp. Her extended arm was stuck straight in front of her as she looked at the ring nestled safely where it should have been put several years ago. “The whole time we were in the jewelry store he had that dopey grin of his where he looked like he was in this whole other world.”

Danielle let a soft giggle escape her lips before letting out a small cry of pain knowing that she'd never see that grin of his. “I know that smile.” She nodded her head gently as warm tears crept out of the corners of her eyes and she softly bit her bottom lip. “I wish I could have seen it one last time.”

“He thought about you a lot, you know.” He revealed gently. His mind drifting back to the day Jimmy had cornered Matt in the garage with the ring deep inside his pocket and Danielle very much on his mind. Jimmy wasn't one to keep things to himself, Matt had been fully aware that Jimmy had been seriously second guessing his separation from Danielle during those final days. “He'd want you to have that. I'm just sorry I had to be the one to give it to you.”

Danielle peered up at him with a meek smile before averting her eyes back down to the sparkling diamond. Matt let his lips tug upwards into a half smile before he felt a heavy hand clap onto his broad shoulder.

“The show's gonna be starting in a few minutes.” Brian informed them both, Danielle's head shot up at the sound of his voice. Matt glanced over his shoulder to acknowledge his friend. He immediately noticed how full the venue had become in the time that himself and Danielle had been huddled in the corner talking. “We saved you guys a spot.” Brian nodded towards the familiar group of their friends.

Matt watched Brian cross over the floor and stop front and center, his heavily tattooed arms immediately wrapping themselves around his blonde girlfriend. Matt held out his arm and motioned for Danielle to go first. With a meek nod, Danielle started towards Brian and the rest of the guys with Matt close on her heels.

Matt noticed Danielle instantly dart for her parents who had situated themselves on the far side of their little group, and began showing her mother the silver band adorning her finger. Despite the tears in her eyes, he could tell that Danielle was happy to have received the token of Jimmy's affection, however late it might have been.

Without warning, the lights began to dim until only the spotlights illuminating the stage were left. The crowd went crazy, Matt's ears were filled with wild howls and cheers as Caroline's band began to file on stage. Once they were in their positions, the clicking of heels against the stage could be heard. The bright spotlight moved towards the left side of the stage where Caroline's small body stepped into the blue light.

He could have sworn he heard Brian yell something about her looking sexy but chose to ignore it and confront the guitarist later as Matt too was thinking the same thing. His hazel eyes were locked on her wavy tousled brown and blonde hair, one side was pulled back by a light pink rose hair clip which matched her strapless floral dress. Her stark black acoustic guitar that was strapped across her torso, stood out against the light colors of her outfit and skin tone.

She stopped once she found herself in front of the microphone and offered the crowd a sweet smile. Her eyes scanned the room before glancing down at her loud group of supporters, Johnny and Lacey were going particularly ballistic. Matt tried to hide the proud grin creeping onto his lips but failed when their eyes locked just before her fingers began making music on her guitar.

The band promptly followed suit and broke out into an upbeat song with the familiar country twang Caroline typically strove for. Caroline had an uneasy look on her face but her fingers kept playing, Matt noticed her band members behind her looking at one another with confused looks on their faces. Matt began to worry that Caroline's old tendency of freezing up while on stage was coming back to haunt on her most important night of all. Her nimble fingers dropped from the instrument and clutched the microphone tightly before she began speaking.

“Hold on, hold on.” She said into the mic while glancing over her shoulder at her band, they stopped their playing at her insistence and waited for further instructions. “While I love Summer Girl and I know you all do too, I was thinking of opening the show with a new song, if y’all don't mind.” She flashed a sweet smile to the crowd.

Caroline's eyes shifted down to her friends. “It was inspired by a close friend of mine, so I hope he can hear this from wherever he is.” A sad smile crossed Caroline's lips as she began picking softly at the guitar strings.

If I die young, bury me in satin. Lay me down on a bed of roses. Sink me in the river at dawn, send me away with the words of a love song...the sharp knife of a short life...

No name was required for the inspiration of the piece. Matt and the rest of the group were perfectly aware of who the song was dedicated to, which left little to no dry eyes amongst them. Lacey gently wiped the tears from Johnny's eyes before she wiped her own while Zacky held his wife Lisa close to him while they gently swayed along to the melodic guitars and violin.

Brian rubbed soft circles on Erin's back while she softly wept for their late friend who had been to thank for their ultimate reunion after a long separation. Danielle happily watched Caroline sing, all the while toying with the new piece of jewelry on her finger. Matt tore his eyes away from Caroline just as she whispered the last line of the song. Her brown eyes were clamped shut until the last of the instruments faded out, her eyes lightly fluttered open and met his.

After the emotional dedication to Jimmy, Caroline settled for more upbeat songs that brought a happier message with the occasional piece clearly written during her heartbreak period in Tennessee. Riley had yet to make an appearance and it was nearing the end of Caroline's hour long set so Matt was expecting the country crooner to step on stage any minute.

“I have one more song left tonight.” Caroline beamed brightly as she took in the positive energy from the boisterous and lively crowd. “But my voice is getting awfully tired so I think I'll need someone to come give me a hand to sing this last one.” A soft giggled left her throat when the crowd cheered louder, expecting the arrival of Riley Tucker.

“It's a new song though so hopefully y’all like this just as much as the first one. It's called Give Into Me.” Caroline informed the bustling crowd as the lights lowered even further and only a simply blue spotlight was shone on the young country star. Matt's jaw clenched at the thought of Riley singing the intimate song that himself and Caroline wrote, but with a deep breath he attempted to let it slide off his back.

“Matthew...I'm not going to sing this song on my own.” He heard Caroline drawl lightly as she stared down at him. It was as if all sets of eyes in the venue had turned to him when a spotlight found his large frame in the front of the crowd. He glanced around him, wondering if he was simply dreaming or if this was actually happening. It wasn't until Brian slapped him on the back of the head and Caroline's feminine giggle in response to Brian's physical assault that Matt realized it was for real.

Matt quickly moved through the crowd, past the security men dressed in traditional black t-shirts and onto the stage. He offered the crowd a wave that resembled that of a salute while Caroline kindly introduced him to those in attendance who weren't aware of just who he was.

“Hello.” He mumbled gruffly into the microphone before Caroline handed off her guitar to the woman who typically played violin. Matt lightly grabbed her elbow and dipped his head close to her ear. “Are you sure about this?” He questioned.

Caroline's lips curved into a faint smile as the soft sound of the guitar filled the quiet venue. Caroline pulled Matt towards the microphone stand and softly swayed her small body with the melody of the song. Matt would've been lying if he said he wasn't nervous, the people in attendance weren’t his usual crowd and the music wasn't his typical genre.

She must have noticed because she took his unshaven chin between her thumb and pointer finger, and made it so that their eyes were locked with one another. “It's just us.” She whispered almost inaudibly before releasing his face from her light touch. She gave him a small nod towards the microphone.

Matt took his cue and brought his lips close to the voice amplifier but not before shifting his hazel eyes over to the flourishing country star. “I'm gonna wear you down, I'm gonna make you see. I'm gonna get to you, you're gonna give into me.” Caroline simply smiled as her right hand tapped along to the rhythm on her thigh.

His lips curved into an irresistible yet still cocky dimpled smile as his voice effortlessly sung the words to the song. “I'm gonna start a fire, you're gonna feel the heat. I'm gonna burn for you, you're gonna melt for me.” His smile stretched wider across his lips as Caroline's cheeks reddened lightly at the truthfulness of the lyrics.

Caroline prevented the crowd from noticing her blushing cheeks by pretending that nothing was wrong. She brought her mouth to the other side of the microphone that her and Matt were sharing as they broke out into the chorus. “Come on, come on into my arms. Come on, come on, give into me.

Matt took a step back and it was now his turn to watch Caroline take the lead. One of her hands came up to curl around the mic being held by the stand.

You're gonna take my hand, whisper the sweetest words and if you're ever sad. I'll make you laugh, I'll chase the hurt.” She let her hand fall from the microphone but let her fingers lightly skim the thin metal of the stand. Without breaking eye contact, Matt took a step forward so that his lips was not only close to the mic but her lips as well.

My heart is set on you. I don't want no one else. And if you don't want me, I guess I'll be all by myself.” They sang fluidly, never breaking the intense gaze and seemingly forgetting about the audience of hundreds watching their every move.

Come on, come on into my arms. Come on, come on, give into me...” Their voices laced together as if they had been singing together for years. When in fact through out the duration of their friendship the number of times they had sung together had been less than a handful.

I'll use my eyes to draw you in, until I'm under your skin.” Caroline drawled with a strikingly seductive look in her usually innocent brown eyes. One manicured finger traced a spot on his exposed arms, causing a set of goosebumps to break out all along his skin. “I'll use my lips,” Caroline fought with herself to ignore Matt's tongue lightly brush his own lips while he watched her. Both of them suppressed the lustful urges that entered their minds during the duet, and attempted to hold them off until they weren't being watched by hundreds of people.

I'll use my arms. Come on, come on, come on. Give into me.” She finished with her lips turned upwards and a slight sparkle in her eyes.

Matt took the opportunity to glance out to the engrossed crowd, cellphones and lighters were being waved. He spotted Lisa and Zacky embraced and swaying gently to the music, looking lost in one another. Johnny and Lacey looked on hand in hand, both with content smiles on their faces. Brian however, had the widest, most shit eating grin on his face that Matt had ever seen.

Matt turned back to Caroline and the microphone to finish off the song. “Give into me, give into me...

Just as the music faded out, the crowd began roaring with applause and praise for Caroline's half of the show. Matt took a step back and motioned to the small country star to let her enjoy her spotlight. The crowd cheered even louder and the happy smile on her face was something that had to be seen to be believed. He had never seen her so happy before, and that to him was the most important thing of all, knowing that Caroline was happy with where she was and what she was doing.

“Thank y'all so much, up next is country sensation Riley Tucker. Goodnight!” Caroline offered her generous audience a polite bow before turning to Matt and wrapping her arms around his midsection, instantly burying her face into his chest. Without a second thought he pulled her off stage as the stage hands and roadies began putting together Riley's set.

Once he was sure they were no longer in view, Matt lifted Caroline's chin and covered her lips with his. He felt her smile faintly against his mouth, he took that as his cue to deepen the kiss. His hand slid up to the back of her head and attempted to slip his tongue past her lips but instead of reciprocating she simply broke out in a fit of giggles.

“What are you laughing about?” He asked, resting his forehead against hers, waiting for her reply.

“I can't help it I'm excited, Matt! The duet out there went well and it got me thinking...who said heavy metal and country can't mix?” Caroline toyed with the pendant hanging from his neck, which so happened to be made from Jimmy's treasured drum kit. “I mean, stranger duets have happened. Nelly and Tim McGraw, for example.”

Matt let a hoarse chuckle escape his throat before pulling Caroline closer. He rested his chin on top of her head, letting the sweet aroma of her hair fill his nostrils. He already knew his answer, he'd always say yes to her but he wasn't about to let her know that. If she was going to make him sweat about singing the song with her in the first place, he sure as hell would make her squirm about his decision about recording it for real.

Caroline pulled away from him slightly, casting her eyes up to study his features. “I'll take it into consideration.” He told her to which he was met with a simple smile and chaste kiss to the lips.

"You'll give into me, I know it." She grinned, not knowing how right she really was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Imagine Caroline and Matt having eye sex like Garrett and Leighton do here while singing this particular song. This didn't turn out exactly the way I had hoped but all that matters if you all enjoyed it. So I hope you did. Thank you everyone for the kind and amazing reviews.

So there's one chapter left! However after this, I have two other stories in the works. One is a sequel to this and it's called Country Strong and a spin off with Jimmy and Danielle called Timing Is Everything. So subscribe, yeah? :)