‹ Prequel: Timing Is Everything
Sequel: Country Strong
Status: Like it? Let me know! : )

Give Into Me

I've Got Friends In Low Places

Matt and Caroline weren't left alone for very long as Johnny's long time girlfriend Lacey walked into the bar, her eyes immediately spotting Matt. Caroline watched the raven haired girl approach, wondering if Lacey would remember her in the slightest since it had been three years since their last conversation. Lacey placed a hand Matt's broad shoulder as she got to the table.

“So where's my drunken boyfriend?” Lacey asked, staring down at Matt but hadn't yet glanced at the girl sitting with him. Matt pointed to the back of the bar where Johnny and Travis were enjoying themselves with the jukebox and seemed to have forgotten all about their game of pool. Lacey muttered a curse as a feminine voice beside her giggled.

Lacey's eyes flickered over to Caroline, her eyes going wide immediately. Her hand left Matt's shoulder and met her other one which now rested on top of her open mouth.

“Oh my god! Caroline?!” The dark haired girl squealed which caused Caroline to nod repeatedly with a smile. Lacey rushed over to the empty chair next to Caroline and across from Matt. She reached over to grab Caroline's hand, insisting the country singer tell her everything that she had been up to since their last meeting. Forgetting for a moment, the reason she had even come to the bar in the first place.

Matt became a distant memory as Caroline proceeded to explain to Lacey about her time in Nashville. Starting with how she ran into Travis within her first forty-eight hours of arriving and how they became roommates soon after. Lacey listened intently as Caroline then explained the ups and downs she experienced while recording her album.

Johnny and Travis wandered back to the table eventually, but not before setting the jukebox to Neil Diamond's 'Sweet Caroline.' Travis serenaded her while Johnny serenaded Lacey as a few patrons began looking at their table strangely. Caroline felt her cheeks heat up but couldn't fight the awkward smile creeping onto her lips as Johnny and Travis got all too into the song.

“Hands, touching hands, reaching out, touching me, touching you.” They sang as Travis draped an arm around her shoulders and Johnny stood next to him and raised what looked to be another shot. “Oh, sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good.”

Caroline laughed and turned her head away from the very badly sung duet only to catch Matt staring intently. A slight smirk on his face and glimmer of longing in his eyes. Caroline forced herself to look away as Lacey spoke over the now dying music.

“The minute those two start singing Neil Diamond means it's time to go.” Lacey spoke with a laugh, slid her purse onto her shoulder as Caroline followed suit.

“Matt do you mind rounding up the drunks?” Lacey asked him sweetly, batting her eyelashes at him just in case he were to say no. Matt's eyes darted over to the bar where Travis and Johnny attempted get more drinks but the tall man working the counter wasn't having it.

“My pleasure.” He said but his tone gave away his sarcasm.

Once the group had successfully gotten themselves outside, Matt helped Lacey get Johnny in the passenger seat of her small silver Honda. Caroline subtly slipped Lacey her phone number and address so they could make plans to catch up when they weren't busy dealing with drunk men. Caroline walked back over to Travis who lazily leaned up against the car that was parked beside Lacey's.

Matt couldn't help but laugh, knowing that Johnny would be hungover as hell and they were due for an eight hour day in the recording studio tomorrow. He shut the passenger side door once Johnny was securely inside, he waved to Lacey as she sped off. Leaving him, Caroline and a very intoxicated Travis, who made it known that he was not happy with the lead singer, alone in the dark parking lot.

“You guys need a ride?” Matt asked, watching Caroline struggle to get Travis to move. She sighed heavily, clearly reaching her wits end with her inebriated friend.

“Please. You can drop us off at my parents place.” She spoke softly as Matt chuckled and wrapped one of Travis's arms around his neck. Matt led them silently towards his vehicle parked just down the street.

“You really did her wrong Sanders.” Travis slurred, his words would've been barely audible had Matt and Caroline not been so close to him. Caroline inhaled a shaky breath, she knew how short Matt's temper was and the thoughts of a fight breaking out weren't far fetched. Travis wouldn't be able to fight him sober, let alone the drunken mess he was currently. He didn't stand a chance.

“You don't deserve her.” Travis finished and Caroline waited for that wild temper to be unleashed. However, Matt surprised her by saying nothing. She glanced over at him, either he had a very good poker face or what Travis said hadn't bothered him like Caroline thought it would.

Caroline's eyes focused on where they were walking and suddenly she was met with an all too familiar sight. There parked on the side of the street, sat an old Ford pick up truck. It was Matt's truck. But instead of the old chipped dark blue paint that she remembered there was a fresh coat and a white stripe along the side. The once dull and tarnished metal emblems and bumper were now shiny and restored.

A faint smile spread across her lips. “You still drive this thing?” She asked in disbelief, figuring he would drive a super expensive sports car or something equally as extravagant. She heard him chuckle as they got closer.

“Of course, best vehicle I've ever owned. Had to fix her up though.” They came to a stop as they were now only a few feet away, Matt untangled Travis's limbs from around Caroline's neck. He walked with Travis towards the back of the truck before placing a half passed out, half conscious, Travis in the bed of the truck.

As she got into the passenger seat Caroline warned Matt that putting Travis back there wasn't safe. Matt insisted that he'd be fine and that he had driven with five drunks in the back before and everyone turned up alive. The drive to her parents place was silent and quick, Matt drove there with ease, feeling slightly nostalgic at the familiar home.

“Thank you.” Caroline graciously said as they sat in her driveway, she suddenly felt eighteen again.

Matt nodded with a smile. “Anytime.” Caroline faintly smiled back and reached for the door handle but before she could his voice stopped her.

“Caroline?” At the sound of her name she turned back to look at him, he ran his tongue over his lips and rubbed the back of his neck. “We're gonna be in the studio tomorrow and I was wondering if maybe you'd want to come? Hear some of our new stuff and tell us what you think?” He shifted somewhat nervously as she simply stared. “I know Brian and Zacky would love to see you.” He urged.

“Matt...” She began but again he spoke before she could get a word in.

“Look I know you hate me and that's fine, I can live with that for now but I'm not going to stop trying Caroline. I'm just not. With that said, I think we both know that Jimmy would love for you to be there.” Words had now escaped her completely as she sat with her mouth slightly parted and a torn look in her eyes.

“I'm not trying to guilt you into coming either, it's really your choice. I just know he'd want his Care bear there.” His dimples appeared as his mouth curved upwards and she felt a part of her give into his invitation.

“Why did we stop moving?!” Travis yelled and slammed his hand loudly against the window separating the cab from the bed.

Caroline sighed getting out of Matt's truck, leaving the door open as she took Travis's hand. He, not so gracefully, attempted to get himself out of the back. He landed on the cement roughly but recovered fairly quickly, leaning into Caroline for support. Luckily for her they were the same height otherwise if she were shorter this task would be substantially harder.

“About tomorrow,” She spoke to Matt as she placed her hand on the door, ready to close it when she was finished. “I'll think about it.”

- - - - - - - - - -

“Good morning!” Caroline cheered perkily as she passed Travis stirring on the couch. He rubbed his eyes and groaned loudly at her perky nature. He blinked several times before sitting up, feeling the pounding headache already forming and he hadn't even been awake five minutes.

“I feel like shit.” He mumbled, rubbing his temples. Caroline smirked at Travis as she gathered her car keys and bag. Travis glanced over at her, she was fully dressed and ready to take on the day. His brows furrowed. “Where are you going?”

“Well I was going to drop you off at the bar so you could take your car home then I was going to stop by the recording studio and see the guys.” Caroline explained all too quickly.

“Whoa, see the guys? When did this happen?”

“Last night, Matt asked me.” She informed, avoiding his gaze.

Travis stood up quickly, ignoring the light headed feeling that instantly washed over him. “I'm coming with.”

Caroline tilted her head to the side, smiling at his eagerness to protect her. “Travis you're hungover, you really wanna listen to loud music when you can barely stand up without grabbing your head in pain?” She asked with raised eyebrows. He kept a straight face, masking the pain he was feeling.

“You go, I go.” He concluded, as he grabbed his jacket and marched out the front door. He moved so quickly he didn't let her have the opportunity to object. With a heavy sigh Caroline followed him out the door.

Fifteen minutes later the two friends found themselves outside the recording studio, Travis was about to ask her which studio the band was in when they both saw Brian standing outside smoking. Caroline hesitantly approached him, unsure of how he'd react to seeing her there.

Brian held the cigarette between his thin lips as he turned his head, seeing both her and Travis walking towards him. She saw him try to smile with the cancerous stick still held by his lips. His index and middle came up to remove it.

“Well I'll be damned.” He spoke as the smoke that he had previously inhaled into his lungs escaped from his mouth and nostrils. He flicked the cigarette to the ground as she drew nearer. “Little Ford is that you?” He spoke in a goofy voice and she rolled her eyes.

He laughed while he reached out and ruffled her hair playfully. He then pulled her into a brotherly hug, her head resting on his chest and her arms wrapped around his mid section. She pulled away slightly, smelling the stench of smoke on him.

“Shit, it's been what three years?” He raised an eyebrow at her and she nodded.

“Something like that.” She replied, smiling at him. He hadn't changed much since she had been away, at least he didn't seem like it. That was fine with her though, she loved him the way he was, even if he was little off center at times. “You remember Travis Conway, one of your roadies from back in the day?”

Brian studied the guy for a moment before nodding. “Is this a fucking reunion or some shit?” He laughed, clapping a hand onto Travis's shoulder.

“Uh, no. We came to see you guys, Matt invited her.” Travis spoke casually as Caroline stared down at the ground as she felt Brian's eyes bore into her.

“Huh.” Was all Brian said before leading the two of them to the recording studio. Brian made a mental note to have a serious discussion with Matt the first chance he got.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is mainly filler I'm aware but I needed it to set some things into motion. Please leave me some comments though? Even if you don't I love you anyway for reading this so thanks!

I'm sad some of you are hating Matt, makes me wonder if I didn't put enough emotion from him in there. I hope you guys will come to understand his side more with the next chapter since it'll be the big revelation of what really happened. I can tell you the title right now, so make of it what you will: I Ain't No Hero, But It's The Bravest Thing I've Ever Done

Vixyn Of Syn I already knew before I even wrote the first chapter that Friends In Low Places would have to make an appearance. It's like the country song of all country songs. Haha and thanks for giving Matt a chance! I'm gonna love hearing your thoughts come the next chapter. Hvipers19 omg wasn't it gorgeous? *sigh* if only we all could have something that extravagant. And I officially fell in love with Prince Harry while watching the wedding. catbat she won't forgive him easily, but she will have moments of weakness. Which is only human. Thanks to hachie and mistery gurl. :)