‹ Prequel: Bird
Sequel: Everwood Academy
Status: PLEASE DON'T BE A SILENT READER.♥

Carolina North

sanity

Carolina North drove an old, white Volkswagen beetle with brown leather interior and the tiniest trunk I had ever seen. It was already full with her own belongings: suitcases, blankets, pillows, and grocery sacks from the many highway-robbery general stores she had stopped at along her way.

I did not know where she came from, nor where she was going. I did not even know if I was the first person she had asked to join in on her journey. I was only hoping that the previous morons, blinded by her beauty, who had agreed to come along, weren't buried beneath her grocery sacks.

I questioned my sanity as I directed Carolina North to my house across town, and went inside to pack. I didn't have much, so my mother's paisley-patterned suitcase was all I needed to pack my entire life away. I found a scrap piece of paper and quickly scribbled a few words that my mother would find on the kitchen counter when she arrived home from work.

I'm finally going, it read in my chicken scratch handwriting. I forgot to mention the fact that I had absolutely no idea where I was headed, nor any more than a name on the girl I was with. I locked the front door behind me and cursed myself for being so foolish. Despite my negativity about the strange situation, I did not want to change my mind.

Carolina North was smiling when I climbed back into the front seat of her Beetle. She had taken the daisy out of her hair and placed it on the dashboard.

"What?" I asked about her smile, unable to tear my gaze away from her cerulean eyes.

She shook her golden blonde head softly, turning toward the road. She turned the key in the ignition and the engine roared to life, sending sparks and jolts and fear and anticipation through my body.

"You are crazier than I thought, Grayson Flinn."