Flightless Bird

Chapter One

The night was cool as a slight breeze swept through the small gathering within the Narnian forest. There were dwarves, centaurs, minotaurs, fauns and other creatures that lived amongst the few sons of Adam and daughters of Eve in peace and harmony yet secrecy also. Sure the Telmarines knew that a few of the Narnians were still living deep in the forests however they’d underestimated their numbers greatly.

Susan, a daughter of Eve stood in the centre of the Narnians’ make shift hideout along with her elder brother Peter, younger brother Edmund and younger sister Lucy. Gathered also were the other fifty-or-so creatures that also lived amongst the trees in permanent terror of being found out by the Telmarines. Susan held her arm around her younger sister of twelve and listened intently as a centaur, Glenstorm, addressed the group.

“The phoenixes have returned with grave news; the Telmarines are travelling through the woods towards our camp. If they do not change direction then we are in trouble.” A few yells of concern and terror suddenly erupted until Glenstorm raised her arms for silence.

“When will they get here?” Trufflehunter - a badger who was the guardian of the four sibling after their parents had been kill by Telmarine soldiers years previously - had questioned.

“If they do not rest then daybreak is likely to be when they hit us.”

“What is our plan of action?” Questioned a faun that wore a red scarf around his neck

“We can stay and fight the soldiers or we can move on and find a new camp until they discover us again.”

“Our numbers are too small for us to fight them,” Nikabrik called out causing others around him to agree.

“But we have strength, agility and the element of surprise on our side,” another challenged.

“We do not know for definite is they actually know that we reside here or if it is just by coincidence that they are to pass here.”

“Either way they won’t expect us to fight back. We need to protect our young otherwise there will be no future for Narnians. I say we fight!” Yells of agreement filled the once silent night and Glenstorm took those that were to fight off to speak to about strategies.

The Pevensie children and Trufflehunter returned to their part of camp and all sat around their small fire.

“We should be fighting. We’re no use hiding away,” Peter complained and picked at the hem of his tunic.

“You’re no use dead,” Trufflehunter corrected with a sigh as he started to prepare the families’ evening meal.

“But I’m seventeen! When am I going to be allowed to join the Narnian Resistance, Trufflehunter?”

“When Glenstorm thinks you’re ready.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a brief introduction really to see if anyone is interested in reading this :)