Flightless Bird

Chapter Two

The phoenixes had returned once again with news of the Telmarines being only minutes away. Immediately the camp had burst into action as men and women alike gathered weapons and put on armour. Trufflehunter quickly hurried the four Pevensies further into the woods where they would camp with others whilst the small battle went on.

No fire had been built that night for those that weren’t fighting as it would’ve brought unwanted attention from the Telmarines. Susan and Peter sat with their arms around Lucy and Edmund as they tried to comfort them. The noise of the fighting was still strong in the air as they tried to lull the tearful younger ones to sleep.

Their camp hadn’t had to face the Telmarines in such a long time so that night even Edmund with his short brown almost black hair was worrying about how the fighting would turn out and if it’d end in their favour.

*

The night soon wore on and the noises of battle had died down. Susan Pevensie had awoken suddenly and looked around with dazed eyes through the darkness. She needed to know how the battle had gone.

Untangling herself from her siblings and Trufflehunter, Susan rose to her feet and dusted down her simple long white night dress. She quickly shook off her green cape of any mud and then hurriedly attached it around her to protect her from the cold. The cape was heavy and of a thick material as she walked back towards the camp, not once casting a second glance back at the others that she was walking from.

Her long brown hair was still in the two messy plaits from when Lucy had tied them before they’d slept and the loose hair blew behind her along with her cape. She squinted to see past the darkness as she got to the edge of her old camp and gasped in horror at what she saw.

There before her were several slain Narnians, lying in their own blood were arrows adorning their bodies and swords wounds in their flesh. Tears rushed to her crystal blue eyes and she bit her plump bottom lip as she resisted the urge to scream out in the pain of grief. Susan lurched forward and went straight to a minotaur that she had once known and would always care greatly for.

She knelt by his side and touched his fur covered arms with such a tenderness before placing a soft kiss to his fur. Uneasily she stood and shook slightly as she backed away from the bloodshed; she knew she had to get back to the makeshift camp and alert the others.