Forever Praying

The Escape

Candide always had a special talent when it came to persuasion, and it didn’t fail her that day when she convinced the guard that she had to go get something of upmost importance in her father’s room and that nobody was allowed to see except Aaden and herself. It was a wonderful ruse. The guards let the two young woman out of the cell and accompanied them to the King’s chamber. When they got there the girls went in and Candide told the guards to post themselves at the door. Candide closed the door behind her again and looked at Aaden with a sly smirk.

“Never doubt me, Aaden. Now, let’s get out of this castle.” the young princess said to her servant with a wink as she walked to her father’s bookcase and pulled down on one of the books, revealing a secret passageway. The servant gaped for a moment but then giggled lightly.

“I will never doubt you again, Princess.” and with that Aaden followed the princess in the passageway. It was a dark tunnel made out of rock and it was out of pure luck that the two women weren’t too tall so they could walk down the tunnel without having to bend over.

“We’ll have to walk in the dark but the tunnel isn’t too long so we’ll be out in about twenty minutes. Grab my hand and put your other one on the wall so you don’t hit anything. This won’t be a pleasant walk but we have to do it. Also, you don’t need to come with me if you don’t want too. You can stay here or when we come at the end of the tunnel you can just stay there also, I will not force you.”

Aaden smiled at Candide as she took her hand. “I will not leave you. I’ll help you save Saltrick, now, let’s go.”

The walk was awful, the tunnel was dark, cold and the occasional sound of scurrying paws and squeaks made both of the girls jump. It wasn’t a particularly long walk but it felt like hours. Candide lead in the front, her hands damp and sweaty as she tried to stay calm. She had never liked the darkness.

Finally, they arrived at the end of the tunnel where there was a wooden door. Just before that though, as Candide kept her hand on the wall she felt the cold metal of swords.

“They put these weapons here just in case. If the King ever had to use this passageway, chances are that he was in danger. It’s coming in quite handy today. Pick whatever you want.”

Candide selected a heavy sword that was encrusted with diamonds and a shield that also had diamonds on it. Aaden decided on a smaller, simpler sword and a shield of her own. “I’ll have your back Aaden, so don’t worry too much. Now,” the young princess said with a smirk, “let’s go save Saltrick.”

Candide pushed open the wooden door and the two woman walked out into total chaos.

They were right in the middle of the kingdom and all around them there were fires, screams, sobs and people fighting. Everywhere she looked Candide saw people she knew, people she had grown up with and who cared for her as much as she did them. The men were fighting and the young princess even saw one or two girls fighting as well, probably defying orders. The women and children were hiding but Candide could see a few of them, huddled in corners, hoping they would go unnoticed although they were crying and screaming for their husbands, brothers and children.
“Aaden, find as many women and children as you can and bring them to the castle. It’s the most fortified place in the kingdom and they should be the most safe there. Bring them to the dungeons, they’ll be even safer there. Go fast and good luck.”

The servant nodded at the princess before turning the other way and starting to run towards a small group of women and children that were huddled in a corner. Taking a deep breath, Candide started jogging towards the nearest fighters. It was evident who the men from Saltrick were and which were the pirates and the soldiers from Turvile. The pirates were mostly recognizable by their filth, now the people of Saltrick weren’t the cleanest people but they were no match with the pirates when it came to hygiene. Plus, with the filth came the missing teeth, rags as clothes and gold rings on their fingers. Those from Turvile were even more recognizable, they didn’t even look human. Their anatomy was human, but their skin was grey and wrinkly and their faces were grotesquely disfigured. Big, ugly noses, eyes too small and too wide apart while their mouths held extremely pointed teeth. They were monsters.

A shadow suddenly appeared behind her and Candide turned around just in him to raise her shield as a huge sword clambered down on her. It was a Turvile soldier, a big one at that. The young woman had to take a step back because of the force of the blow. The monster went to hit her again but this time she was prepared and swiftly moved to the side, disorienting the solider and hit him on the back of his knees with her sword. The monster fell to the ground and without a second thought Candide lifted her sword over her head and then quickly sliced the monster’s neck, beheading it.

Ten years of training made quite a difference when it came to battling monsters. She was in her battle state of mind where most of her emotions were locked away. She didn’t have time to feel sorry or weak, she had to be strong and save her people.

Candide removed the sweaty blonde hair that had fallen in her face and took another deep breathe. She had to save her kingdom, and she had to find Caspian.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lack of updates. :s
Comments are appreciated!(: <3
Also, you should all check out Bernadette's stories they're amazing. (: