I Was Breathless by the Look in Your Eye

It's All Over Your Face

I typed away on my new laptop, a paper that was due in my Human Interactions class. I sipped on my hot tea and let out a long sigh, turning towards the large wall of windows. The sky was gray and the wind made a barely audible wailing noise as it blew around the building. I had just moved in with my sister, Leah, since I transferred to University of Chicago. She insisted on me staying with her to cut the cost of room and board.

I was little cautious, considering I hadn't seen much of her since she left, except maybe for the holidays. But I accepted her invitation and I was more than thankful to have a room to myself instead of having to share one with a roommate. Leah was at dance practice, leaving me by myself. I saved my paper and closed my laptop, turning on the TV just in time to see the hockey game. The Blackhawks were playing the Capitals. The front door flew open and my sister stumbled in, a large white bag in one arm, her dance bag in the other. She dropped one on the floor and placed the other on the table.

“I know I promised a home cooked dinner, I'm sorry! I'm really tired, I hope Thai is okay.” She said quickly.

“Yeah, it's cool.” I said, slowly getting up off my comfortable spot on the couch. “How was practice?” I asked, pulling out the take-out boxes while she grabbed silverware.

“Really long.” She said, her face turning a little red. I grinned and shook my head.

“Did a cute player talk to you?” I teased.

“Shut up!” She said, making me laugh.

“No use denying it. It's all over your face.” I said, making her stick her tongue out at me.

“Don't you have homework or something?” She said, trying to change the subject. This isn't over. Oh no no no, not by a long shot sis.

“Finished. Thank you very much.” I said, pulling my blonde hair into a bun and plopping down onto the couch with a plate of yummy take-out.

“So schools okay? People are nice to you?” She asked, sitting next to me and crossing her legs.

“Yes Leah. People are nice to me.” I said, rolling my eyes.

She smiled and took the remote, changing the channel to something else. I ate quietly, occasionally looking out the window, seeing people milling about on the streets below. I used to be terrified of being up so high but my fear slowly went away when my sister proceeded to demonstrate just how safe the windows were.

She threw herself against it and it bounced like a rubber, a huge grin on her face. I wasn't very amused at the time. But the balcony right behind the window made it seem a little safer. I looked back at the TV and saw that she had changed it back to hockey. My sister and I both loved sports but she was more of a basketball person, while I was more of a hockey person.

“So, are you doing anything tomorrow?” She asked, a huge forkful of noodles in her mouth. Nice Leah, real lady like.

“Oh yeah. Going clubbing with the girls, gonna get wasted and hook up with random guys. It's gonna be sweet.” I said, a huge grin on my face. She just stared at me. I ended up shaking my head. “No, I'm not. Why?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to come to the game. I have a ticket for floor seats.” She said. Leah has been trying to get me to a game for a while now.

“Leah.” I whined. I never liked basketball, it bored me to no end. But then again, she could say the same thing about my love for hockey.

“Come on, please!” She whined back.

“Alright! Fine! I'll go.” I said, laughing a little at her puppy face.

“Thank you! Oh my god, your going to love it! I will make you like basketball. Just you wait.” She said, pointing her fork at me before diving in for more noodles.

I smiled and shook my head as I took another bite of food, glancing back at the TV just in time to see Patrick Kane celebrating a goal with 5 seconds left. He threw his stick and off came his gloves as he tackled his teammates. I looked back down to the street, waiting for the scores of people to come down the street, celebrating our teams win against Washington.

Maybe that's what I loved so much about the city, all the energy. It's certainly a big difference from our small town we grew up in back in New Hampshire. When I told my parent's I was going to transfer from the community college to a university in Chicago, they were thrilled to have me getting away and exploring. They were always so proud of Leah and now they wanted me to have the same success. And getting away from home was the best decision I'll make.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY!
PATTY CAKES!!!
hahaha, I'm back :)
well, We're back.
Sorry about the absence!

Shayla

KYLEE KANGAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! xD