Another "X" on Your Calender

Like Sleeping Beauty

Image
“No one can wake her up,” said a friend of mine. I was staring at the girl sleeping on the front lawn of my school. She looked so peaceful, laying there with her brown hair spread out on her black sweater.

“She sleeps like a log,” another friend said.

“Wasn’t there a fairy tale like that?” one of my girl friends asked. They began to converse but I just stared at the girl. She didn’t seem bothered at all that it was almost ninety degrees out or that the sun was warming her pale skin. I rose from where we sat and looked back at my group. They had stopped talking to wonder what I was doing.

“What’s up?” asked my friends.

“I’m going to wake her up.”

“You definitely can’t. She’s like that Sleeping Beauty lady.”

“Her name was Aurora,” I told them. “And if you recall, the prince did wake her up with a kiss.” The kids frowned at me.

“What are you planning?” I shrugged and left them to cross the large green field to her. I looked around the field for anyone who might know her, who might try to stop me from waking her but there was no one. They all just did their thing without acknowledging me. I looked back at my friends, who were watching me adamantly. I shook my head and looked down at the girl. She was beautiful. Her eyes were closed peacefully, her mouth slightly open for air. I got on my knees and leaned over her, my lips barely hovering over hers.

“You won’t,” I heard her say. I grinned as she opened an eye to look at me. I fought a smile while she pressed her lips to mine.