Another "X" on Your Calender

Left At the Altar

Image

“Hottie, at Johnny’s nine o’clock,” said a bartender in a low voice to the line of men sitting at the bar. The whole bar turned to look at the beautiful blond woman walking into their dark domain. The room was full of darkness and men who looked at the bottom of a bottle for the answers to their problems. At the very end of the bar, a young man in a bright white shirt and black tie glanced at the door. She wore a long, beautifully elegant wedding dress, her veil in her hands. She sighed and sat at the corner of the bar, making all the men look at her. The boy rose from where he sat and walked over to her.

“Hey,” he said as he offered her a smile. “Give her a beer on me,” he said as he sat beside her. She looked up at her and frowned.

“Oh no, I couldn’t—“

“You’re here in a wedding dress. Something went wrong. Take the beer.” The girl sighed and nodded, looking at the glass of beer that was before her. “Wanna talk about it?”

“Not really.” Johnny sighed and nodded.

“I was left at the altar too. I tried to marry my best friend and she left me for someone else.” Johnny sighed and the bar groaned.

“Not that story again,” said one man.

“’She was the greatest girl I’d ever known’,”

“ ‘I couldn’t dream of living without her’!”

“Oh, I left him,” said the girl. “He cheated on me this morning so I left him.” Johnny and the bar shook their heads.

“Welcome to the Never-Going-To-Get-Married club, Lady,” said Johnny as he held out his hand. “My name’s Johnny.”