Status: Just wait...

Castle de la Rosé

Zehn

Chapter Ten
Elian's POV

I'd like to go on record as saying that this is Schuyler's fault. In fact, if I could find the strength to do anythign other than glare weakly at Schuyler, I would tell him so myself. Unfortunately, when you wake up from being drugged, you don't feel well-rested and happy.

Acutally, I feel like I've been beat up and then caught a major case of the flu. My head hurts really bad, I think I’m going to throw up, and I'm fairly certain that I smell like an old shoe. Like I said, this is all Schuyler's fault.

The worst part about this is that Schuyler's still blissfully unaware. I guess the sedative affects werewolves worse than people like me. That sucks for me though because it means that my glares are wasted on him.

If only I could move, I would go over there and poke him until he woke up and had to sit there, as miserable as I am. I whined and slid down the wall a bit more. Okay, I have to admit that it's not all his fault. I did get myself locked in here for fighting…but I didn't get myself sedated or beat my by psycho teachers/captors. But, Schuyler was trying to rescue me…even though it meant we would both be punished worse later. You know what? This isn't helping. I've just come to the conclusion that this was accidentally Schuyler's fault which is even worse. With that conclusion, I went back to glaring at Schuyler.

Just as I was starting to wonder if I should save my glares for later (You never know. They could need to be recharged like cell phones.), Schuyler groaned and tried to sit up.

"I bet you feel fantastic now, don't you?" I said, being deliberately loud just to make his head hurt worse. Sadly, it also had the side effect of making my own head hurt. I decided it wasn't worth it.

"Not really…I have pants now," he said.

"Well, isn't that just the greatest thing I've heard all day," I said, fighting back the bizarre urge to laugh.

"Why are you being a jerk again?" Schuyler asked, sounding a little offended. "You were nice last night."

I opened my mouth to say something rude; I'm not exactly sure what yet. Usually, I don't have to think about it. I don't have a filter that stops me from saying rude things like other people. For some reason, I just couldn't think of anything to say to Schuyler. He didn't mean to be annoying. "Fine, I'm sorry. I'm just having a really terrible day, in case you hadn't noticed," I said.

Schuyler ignored me.

I stared at him in disbelief. Is he…pouting? Okay, that's it. All sympathy is gone. If he ignores me, so what? It's not like I case. "Come on. I said I was sorry," I said.

Schuyer continued ignoring me.

I rolled my eyes at his childishness and drug my lazy ass over to where Schuyler was lying. "What do you want me to say?"

Schuyler kept pretending I wasn't there.

I did the only thing I could think of, which is the opposite of my usual instinct. I reached out and ran my fingers through Schuyler's hair.

"Just because I'm a werewolf, doesn't mean you can pet me…Ooh! Right there! Scratch there," he purred, as I scratched him behind his right ear.

"Which do you want? Me to pet you or stop?" I asked, laughing.

"Shut up and keep scratching," he muttered.

I smiled and kept petting him. We sat like that for over an hour until two of the guards, otherwise known as personal tutors for the especially "troubled" students, came in. "Elian, who knew you could act so…sweet," one of them sneered.

I tried to get up, but fell back to the floor because the sedative was still working a little. "You can shut the f-" Midsentence I screamed, as one of the tased me.

"You can't do that!" Schuyler said, looking shocked. He was staring wide-eyed at the guard with the taser.

The guard looked like he wanted to hit Schuyler next, but I dragged myself in front of him. Seeing me trying to protect Schuyler, he just smirked and said, "I can do whatever I want to if I think Elian's tryign to attack me."

"But Elian wasn't-"

"Who do you think people will believe? Me or them?" I asked him quietly.

Schuyler nodded. "This place sucks."

I snorted.

The guards decided to interrupt our mostly civil (for once!) conversation. "We just have to check to make sure the sedative if wearing off normally. It looks like it is and since neither of you look like you've been in a fight-"

"Only because it takes awhile for it to completely wear off. They're probably still feeling some of the effects," the other guard disagreed. He's one of the people that believe we're all rotten, soulless people that should be locked up forever. It's not that uncommon of a belief around here.

"We're not supposed to sedate them again unless they're causing trouble. We just have to make sure they aren't fighting and leave, especially with Elian here. You know how much trouble he can cause," the first one said, like I couldn't hear him, or maybe like I was stupid and couldn't understand him.

I wanted to jump up and hit both of them until they were unconscious at my feet. For once, I thought about it before I lunged at them and what I was thinking about really scared me. I was worrying about whether they'd hurt Schuyler if I did anything and I didn't like thinking like that. I don't like feeling responsible for what happens to Schuyler. I have a hard enough time taking care of myself without worrying about him too.

I think that more than anything else made me jump at the two guards. I wanted to show everyone that I didn't care what happened to Schuyler. I wanted them to know I was just as selfish as before…Selfish. I'd never thought of myself that way before, but I guess it fits.

When I jumped at the first guard, I knocked him to the floor, completely winding him. I didn't waste time though. I slammed my hand into his nose, hearing a loud snap as it broke. I managed to knee him in the stomach a couple of times and hit him once more in the face before I felt another sharp jolt from the taser.

I felt myself be pushed off of him and heard the other guard say, "So, you still feel sorry for them?"

"Not Elian. We already know that he's uncontrollable," the guard replied, spitting a mouthful of blood out on me. "The new one didn't do anything."

They both lifted me up by my arms and shoved me into a straitjacket, before dumping me on the floor again. I didn't even struggle because I was still dazed by the taser's shock.

"As long as you behave, you'll be perfectly fine. You have to stay here tonight, but you can go to your afternoon classes tomorrow," the guards told Schuyler.

He nodded, hesitantly. I saw him look at me out of the corner of his eyes.

The guards left and Schuyler immediately hurried over to me. "Are you alright?"

"Just dandy," I said sarcastically. I realized before Schuyler even had time to say anything that I was being a jackass again. "I'm sorry."

Schuyler just nodded.

This has to be the most weird for Schuyler, but it's even more confusing for me. One minute I want to be friends with him, maybe even kiss him, and other times I just want him to stay away from me. He makes me feel so nervous. I wish I knew the right thing to do with Schuyler.

He helped me walk over to one of the twin beds and lay down in it. To my surprise, he curled up next to me. When he saw the weirded out expression on my face, he just grinned. "We slept likethis last night,"he pointed out.

"I guess so. Good night," I said, watching him lay his head on my chest.

"Good night," he whispered back.

That night was another first for me. For the first time, I felt myself being lulled to sleep by Schuyler's quiet, even breathing and I couldn't have been happier…except maybe for the ridiculous straitjacket.