‹ Prequel: Unexpected
Status: Started, we work on it when we can

Undecided

Birthday Surprises

“Mollie, it’s too early for this!” Cat yelled as I tried to shake her awake and I couldn’t help but to laugh.
“It’s our birthday, silly! We have presents to open!” I replied and stopped shaking her before sliding over to the end of my bed and grabbing hold of the large package that was from mom and dad.
“They’re not going anywhere, Skittle Brain,” she grumbled and sat up before staring down at me as I began to rip the wrapping paper to shreds.
“You’re forgetting that they’re magical presents, Catherine. They just might get up and walk off if they get impatient with you,” I teased and I saw her roll her eyes before she slowly began to climb out of bed, “What time did you go to bed anyway?”
“A bit before midnight, Draco was worried that if I didn’t go to bed before our birthday started, something might go wrong,” she answered and yawned lightly before sitting down next to me.
“I’m glad to hear that Dorkfoy has gained some intelligence,” I chuckled but then sighed heavily and closed my eyes, “Sorry, it slipped out.”
“Whatever,” Cat scoffed before standing back up and heading towards the exit.
“Please don’t leave, Cat! I’m sorry, I just need to get used to being decent to him. I promise that I’ll try harder. Just…sit down and open your presents, please,” I nearly begged and she looked at me a few seconds before slowly making her way back over to me and sitting down again.
Mom’s howler had been enough to make me try my best at being nicer to Draco and his whole house, but I still wanted to punch the living soul out of him every time he reminded me that mommy dearest had told me that I better be nice to him. The howler had scared the living daylights out of not only me but everyone else who had yet to leave breakfast the other day though, so I wasn’t about to mouth off in front of him.
“Did you get the same dress as me?” I asked awkwardly as I stared at bright yellow dress that mom and dad had sent me.
“We always get the same dress,” she answered with a hint of harshness in her voice.
“I’m going to head to breakfast,” I sighed and stood up before taking my shorts and tank top off and pulling my dress on.
“What about your presents?” Cat questioned as she began to open her next package.
“I can open them later before dinner. I’m starving right now and no amount of presents can keep my temper from rising if I’m hungry,” I replied and grabbed my wand and school bag before exiting the room and heading down the dormitory stairs.
I styled my hair on the way down with the help of my wand and quickly slipped my shoes on as I passed all of the dormitories.
“Shouldn’t you look a bit more cheery?” George questioned as he met me at the bottom of the stair case.
“I let another slip and she’s mad again,” I whispered to him and headed towards the portrait hole without stopping to even glance at him, “I’m not in the mood to be any bit of cheery.”
“You’ve hardy make any remarks to him or about him in the past two days, I highly doubt that she’s going to get upset at you for one slip up,” he tried to assure me and held open the door for me as I unskillfully slipped out and into the corridor.
“She’s really cracking down this time,” I sighed and waited for him to jump down next to me before taking his hand in mine and starting towards the Great Hall, “But she still refuses to see that he’s being an unruly git to you and the rest of the school.”
“Don’t let Mafloy and your sister get to you, just ignore it,” he advised and smiled down at me, “So did you like my present?
“I didn’t open it actually, I left before I had the chance to open any of the presents that didn’t come from my parents,” I replied and looked at him apologetically, “I promise to open it first thing tonight though.”
“How? By tonight you’ll be engulfed in a protective cocoon of some kind,” he chuckled and I joined in as we stopped halfway down a staircase and sat down.
“I forgot about that to be honest with you.”
“Lucky for you, your warrior did not,” he teased and I rolled my eyes before resting my head on his shoulder and closing my eyes, “Are you tired?”
“No, I just don’t want to deal with anything right now,” I sighed and he slipped his hand out of mine before wrapping it around my shoulders.
“By the way, you look wonderfully gorgeous,” he whispered in my ear and kissed my forehead as I smiled and blushed deep red.
“Mind moving out of the way? Some of us are trying to use these stairs,” a rude toned voice said from behind us and I pursed my lips as I pulled away from George and looked up at Malfoy.
I wanted to throw a fire ball at his face but the fact that he was flanked by two giant lards who didn’t know that I was sun made me rethink my plan before I stood up and stepped out of the way so that they could walk past.
“What, no smart arse remark?” Malfoy asked and smirked rudely at me.
“I have plenty in mind, but I’m sure that you’ll go running to my sister if I let any of them venture out of my mouth,” I answered and smiled brightly at him as I tried my best to let the fire in my stomach extinguish itself.
“And we wouldn’t want that now would we?” he teased and I took a deep breath before looking away from him and focusing on a painting that was hanging on the wall, “How does it feel knowing that your sister likes me better then she likes you?”
“Take that back, Malfoy!” George yelled and jumped to his feet, “You damn well know that Cat loves Mollie far more then she could ever tolerate you!”
“Talk to me when you have two Knut’s to rub together, Weasley,” Draco scoffed and looked at George in disgust.
Crabb and Goyle both laughed stupidly and I grabbed George’s wrist before pulling him down the stairs and away from the Slytherin group.
“Mollie, let me go,” George instructed me as I pulled him along the corridor, “Mollie!”
“Draco isn’t worth you getting a month’s detention with Flitch so I’m not letting you go,” I replied and he stopped suddenly before yanking his wrist out of my grasp, “George, he isn’t worth it!”
“I’m not going to go after Malfoy, you crazy, temperamental, bitch! You’re burning my flesh!” he yelled angrily and I stared at him in shock as what he said began to sink in.
My eyes traveled down to where I had grabbed him and saw a bright red spot in the shape of a hand circling around his wrist.
“George…I…I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to…I just…Malfoy made me lose my temper…and I just…” I stumbled across my words as tears began to blur my vision and I started to back away down the corridor.
“Of course, you lost your temper,” he scoffed and then looked up to see me backing away from him, “Mollie…oh gosh…I’m sorry. I know that you don’t have control of your powers yet. I didn’t mean to call you-”
“No, no. You’re right, George. I am a crazy, temperamental, bitch who can’t control her powers and I…I don’t think you should be around me until I learn how,” I whispered and turned around before starting to walk quickly down the corridor.
“Mollie, you’re being ridiculous!” he called after me but I ignored him as I continued on my way, “Mollie, there’s no time for this! We have to find Cat and Draco before breakfast!”
I didn’t care about our full powers setting in anymore. I didn’t care about how much I hated Malfoy and how much I wanted my sister to see that I wasn’t the only one who needed an attitude change. All that I cared about at that moment was how I had hurt George. I hadn’t even been aware that I was doing it, but I hurt him. I had no doubt in my mind that Cat would be able to heal the burn, but that didn’t change the fact that I had been the one to cause it.
“Hello, Princess,” a prissy voice said from behind me as I leaned over the sink in the bathroom that I had entered.
“Not now, Myrtle,” I sighed and rubbed my forehead.
“What’s wrong? Burn another hole in Weasley’s side?” she teased and floated over my head as I took a deep breath, “Wait, let me guess again! You burned down the Astronomy Tower and now you’re getting expelled? Oh, did you make the earth swallow the rest of the castle and now the only thing left is my bathroom?”
“Myrtle, please, just stop,” I nearly cried and tightened my grip on the sink as I leaned over it farther and fought back tears.
“Why? Don’t enjoy being as delightfully depressed as me?” she teased and floated around me as she cackled.
“Now is not the time for this, Myrtle. Please leave my sister alone and go to your toilet,” Cat sighed and I bit my lip as Myrtle screamed loudly before diving into a stall and splashing into her respective toilet, “George is fine, don’t worry.”
“I’m sure you fixed his arm, so thank you,” I whispered and whipped away a few stray tears.
“He’s not upset with you; he understands that you just got out of control for a second.”
“Why is it that when you get out of control for a second, the worst that can happen is that someone gets soaking wet, but when I get out of control someone always ends up with burning flesh?” I asked as I tried to keep my voice even, “Why is it that I’m always the one hurting people and you’re always the one fixing them after?”
“Mollie…” she sighed and I looked in the mirror to see her rubbing her forehead, “We don’t have full control of our powers yet, that’s all.”
“You mean I don’t. You can control yourself just fine, but I can’t go a day without burning someone do to the fact that I lose my temper for a millisecond,” I leaned back over the sink and the silence began to set in before I felt Cat gently squeeze my shoulder, “What if it gets worse once our full powers set in?”
“Is that what you’re worried about?” she asked quietly and I nodded as I sighed, “Mollie, you just have to work on controlling your temper and then you’ll be fine.”
“How many times have I heard that one before?” I joked and scoffed lightly as I shook my head, “I never wanted any of this, Cat.”
“And you think I did?” she laughed and I looked over my shoulder at her, “We’re twelve years old and we’re supposed to save the world from something that we don’t even know exists, who would want that?”
I smiled and stood up straight as she pulled me into a tight hug and we both began to laugh. She was right. Neither of us wanted this completely, but we really didn’t have any choice in the matter.
“What did you say?” Cat asked and pulled back to look at me curiously.
“I didn’t say anything, why?” I answered.
She hushed me and narrowed her eyes as she looked around the bathroom.
“Cat, I don’t hear anything.”
“Listen closer,” she instructed me and I listened for a minute before shaking my head, “How can you not hear that?”
“Cat, there’s nothing-”
“Are you two almost done in there? We don’t know when this power thing is going to happen and I doubt that it’s supposed to happen in an old lavatory!” Draco called from the corridor and I bit down on my tongue in an attempt to keep my remark to myself.
“He’s right, we should go and eat breakfast,” Cat sighed and started to pull me back towards the corridor.
“Wait, what if it happens while we’re at breakfast?” I asked as the thought suddenly ran through my head, “How do we justify whatever is going to happen to everyone in the Great Hall?”
“Again, you worry too much,” she chuckled and rolled her eyes playfully as she smiled at Malfoy, “We’re ready, Draco.”
“Well, it’s about time,” George chuckled and I looked at my feet as I passed him.
“There it is again!” Cat yelled and stopped short as she turned her head in multiple directions so that she could look around the corridor.
“Where’s what?” Draco asked and followed Cat’s eyes as he tried to make sense of her sudden outburst.
I looked up from the spot on the floor that I had been staring at and looked out of the corridor window to see the sun and moon quickly inching toward each other.
“Uh…Cat,” I mumbled as everyone continued to look for whatever Cat thought she was hearing, “Cat…”
“What?” she asked harshly and I pointed soundlessly to where the sun and moon were close to conjoining, “Oh my…”
“You don’t think that…” George’s statement trailed off as he looked to the two of us and back to where the planets were falling into place together.
Cat grabbed my hand again and I gasped loudly as they came together and two bright lights shot out of them. A bright white light engulfed Cat as a yellow one surrounded me and forced us apart and into the air. The guys both backed up into the wall and watched helplessly as we rose farther into the air and the light began to swirl around us. I couldn’t see Cat, Malfoy, or George anymore. The only thing I could see was the bright, swirling, yellow light as it began to form the hard cocoon that Grandma Ashling had told us about.
My skin tingled as I tried helplessly to wiggle my way out but I knew it was no good. This was power magic that was surrounding us and no amount of fear or effort from a twelve-year-old could break the bonds that were forming. Nothing but the settling of our full powers could break the bonds of the magical crystals that were forming.
“What on earth is going on here?!” I heard McGonagall demand as the cocoons both nestled into the holes that they had created into the ancient tile flooring.
“Professor…they…it happened!” George stuttered and I watched as Professor Dumbledore looked at him calmly.
“Professor McGonagall, please do fetch Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, and the younger Mr. Weasleys for me. Let them into my office and instruct them to wait there for me,” Dumblebore sighed lightly and Professor McGonagall hesitated before taking off down the corridor, “Do me a favor, Mr. Weasley, and don’t mention too much of the girls powers around the other professors. It’s easier to keep them safe that way.”
“Oh, I’m…I’m sorry, sir,” George replied and looked at my cocoon again before inching forward with a curious expression on his face, “Sir, do you suppose that it would safe for Malfoy and me to...”
“To touch them?” Dumbledore guessed and both of the boys nodded, “For you both, yes. For anyone else, no. The legend tells of how the spirit of the moon sends a warrior to protect the child she is putting her power into and that if anyone but that warrior tries to make contact with the cocoon, they will perish instantly.”
“Shouldn’t we move it out of the corridor then, sir?” Malfoy asked as the boys both stepped forward so that they were within touching range of us.
“This corridor is hardly used thanks to Myrtle so I see no reason to keep it open while the girls gain their powers. I’ll have Mr. Filch block it off before classes let out.”
My heart gave an unsteady thump as George’s hand reached out for the hard, crystal surface of my caccoon and I watched in amazement as both of the boys suddenly lit up in our respective colors before appearing again in protective armor.
“I trust you two will guard them well,” Professor Dumbledore mused before slowly making his way down the corridor, “I will inform the others of your situation so that they can bring you supplies and won’t worry about your where-a-bouts.”
“So what do we do now?” George asked and looked down at his new clothing attire.
“Head out for a Butterbeer, of course! What do you think we do, Weasley?” Malfoy scoffed and rolled his eyes.
You better watch your attitude, boy. I’ll blaze your hair when I get out of this thing. I thought and pursed my lips as George tried to keep from stabbing Malfoy with his spear.
I knew she wasn’t working on trying to like him more. Cat’s voice rang through my head along with a scoff and my eyes widened as my eyes darted around the closed area.
What the hell! I screamed and Cat gasped before we both started chuckling. I guess we don’t get much privacy, huh Kitty?
I guess not. She laughed and I smiled to myself as George looked worriedly in my general direction.
“Don’t act so whipped, Weasley. They’ll be fine,” Malfoy said and leaned casually against the wall.
Why is he being so rude to George? Cat asked with a curious tone and I realized that this was my chance to show her how much of a prick Draco really was.
He’s always like this, Cat! The only time he’s ever decent to any of us is when you’re around!
“Listen Malfoy, I’m not going to pretend like I’m thrilled to have to do this with you, or that I even want to be within one hundred yards of you, so you might as well let the bad boy routine go and at least try to be a decent person for the next two weeks,” George said and I smirked as Cat grumbled to herself about how George needed to be a decent person, too.
“Or what Wealsey? You’ll rob me for prank money?” Draco scoffed.
“Only if it means I get to prank your scrawny, spoiled, arse into oblivion,” George shot back.
That’s my boy. I laughed in my head and Cat sighed as I pictured her trying to shake her head at how immature she thought the two of us were being.
Honestly Mollie, you can’t really be okay with them hating each other like this.[i/]
And why not? I find it rather amusing. Plus, it’s only fair that at least one of us can give it right back to Draco without getting in trouble with their sister.
It’s a different story when you’re the one starting it.
I’m hardly ever the one starting it! He always starts it before you come and then he blames me for everything just so he can look like he’s a tortured little angel! I protested and watched eagerly as George and Draco eyed each other menacingly.
“I don’t know what Mollie sees in you,” Draco scoffed, “The only future that anyone can expect with you is one of poverty.”
“It’s better than abuse,” George remarked and raised his eyebrow as he smirked at Malfoy.
Burn.I laughed as Cat gasped and started to scream out curses at George.
He has no right to accuse Draco of such a thing! Cat yelled in a scolding manner as I stopped laughing.
But Malfoy has the right to say that George will never amount to anything? I questioned tonelessly and Cat huffed loudly as the boys continued to glare at each other.
I have no doubt in my mind that it’s going to be a very long two weeks…
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys enjoyed it! Please excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes that we missed while proof reading :) Don't be a silent reader! Comment or drop one of us a line!
<3 Mollie