The Bride

The Trip

" Anna! Will you wait up!!"

I turned to see Claire struggling to catch up, dragging a very expensive bag alongside her. Rolling my eyes, I turned to the conductor of the train, shrugging my shoulders with a slight grin. He looked stone faced at Claire,who finally managed to catch up, and reached out his hand for her ticket. She sighed and flipped her long blonde hair, rumaging in her pocket for it. I turned to look at her, my eyebrow arched and lightly tapping my foot.

"Here it is!" she squealed.

He took the tiny piece of paper and punched a hole in it, shoving it back to her and stormed off. Claire looked at him and snorted. I looked at her with impatience, motioning for her to get on board. She finally lugged herself up into the train, me following right behind her. We kept pausing every so often to see where an empty bench was, and after forever of searching, we found one. Plopping down, Claire took out a compact mirror and started too put on her make up. I nudged in beside her, setting down my jet black messenger bag.

"Where are you going?"

I looked up to see a young gentleman staring right at me, his midnight black eyes inspecting us. He wore a white button up shirt with black dress pants, a cloak laying on his knees.He met my eyes and stared at me with a curious glint as he he moved over, motioning for me to sit with him. Deciding I needed someone to talk to, I sat right down there beside him.

"Where are you going miss?" he inquired,looking at me curiously.

"The Old Mansion outside town." I replied, moving a piece of my chocolate brown hair from my face.

The gentleman raised an eyebrow, surprised at my response. I immediately blushed,no one really goes to the Old Mansion. Its haunted, which is automatically condemned by the people of my town. They do not approve of it, continually saying that it should be torn down, but it has yet to be torn to pieces.

"You know they say Death himself lives in that house."

I turned to look at the gentleman and nodded, of course I knew, everyone knew. They say that Death still lives there, in dormant sleep, waiting for his queen. But that was an old myth to keep good little girls from getting into trouble, but I was the exception to the rule. I giggled out loud, which caused the gentleman to give me another curious glance. I shook my head, explaining that I feared nothing of the such and that it would be foolish to be terrified of someone. Even Death.

He nodded in agreement, apparently pleased that someone thought of this logical reasoning. Turning his face away, I suddenly felt a pang of pain. Something about this gentleman made me crave for his attention, but I shook my head.I was already promised to another gentleman, Alix Suvorn, a rich boy in the town. Sighing, I sat in the bench next to this strange gentleman, in silence for the rest of the trip.

The train dropped us off at the depot near the mansion.It was a forest that seemed to go on forever. Claire grumbled and moaned about the trip and couldn't wait to take a nice long bath. I turned to look at her, a smirk on my lips, which made her curious.

"What?" she demanded

"Nothing,C."

"Yes there is!"

"No there isn't." I smiled

"Tell me!" She screamed.

"Fine," I snickered," we have to walk all the way to the mansion. Before dark."

She stood there,dumb founded as I trudged into the forest, slinging the bag over my shoulder, not waiting for her to catch up. She stumbled after me,cursing at me, but I didn't listen. My mind was on other things, like the mansion and how daddy would be happy that I finally made it here. I grimaced, I rarely thought of dad, and when I do, I get upset, so I shoved him out of my mind. I needed to focus.I had a trip with destiny and I didn't want to be late.