The Bride

Mr.Nex

I stormed out of the doors, quickly scanning to find Mr. Nex. Those men where in the wrong to say that. About hunting Death. Surely, you can't kill a supernatural part of nature, can you? I barely saw the tail of his midnight cloak swish down the hallway to the ballroom.I decided to follow him,to see if I could be of any assistance.

I turned the corner to go down the hallway, slowly scanning each crevice to see if he was there. To no avail, it was perfectly clear that he was in the ballroom. My thoughts were confirmed when I saw his broad back standing in the middle of the ballroom, hands clasped behind his back with his head down. I stopped, slightly heisitating. Should I? I decided I should.

"Lord Nex,are you alright? " I asked, slighty shaking.

No answer came from him and that scared me. I started to back out of the doorway.

"I'll leave you alone,then. I'm sorry to have disturb you." I whispered.

"Please. Do not leave.You're fine. I actually," he looked up and turned to look at me," would like to have your company. Would you join me?"

He held out his hand for me. I paused. If Claire saw me, she surely would tell my fiance and that surely would disgrace my family. If Ididn't take his hand, then I would be very rude. Deciding on the later, I took his hand, which was rough and warm. Unlike my fiances, which was manicured and soft. Lord Nex gently pulled me outside and into the garden. We walked in silence until we reached the rosebush garden.

"So,Miss Anna," he said,looking down at me," are you betrothed?"

I sighed," Unfortunately so. "

"You wish otherwise?"

"Well," I paused, " I want to marry someone whom I love and loves me in return. "

"Then why marry him?" he asked, with slight...agitation?

"Saving my family's honor. " I blurted out, not wanting to.

He stared at me,his beautiful dark eyes wide. I bent my head,blushing. I didn't want to admit that,but it slipped.

"If you could, would you marry someone else?" he wispered

"In a heartbeat." I replied," what about you? Are you,my lord?"

He sighed, running his hand through his dark hair," No one will take this monster of a man."

"Surely women would love to marry you!" I said, secretly wanting to be the lucky one. Wait. What?

"Yes," he smiled ruefully, "but none that I would care for to have as a wife. Most women don't, uh, 'share the same view' as I do."

"Ah." That's all I could muster to say.

A few moments passed in complete silence as I stared at the scarlet roses. I gently ran my palm over the petals, its softness scraping my skin. If I wasn't in the situation I was in, I'd say this would be romantic. i can't say that though.

"So,what do you think about the hunters?" he laughed.

"Despicable.Detestable.Vile.Cruel. Donkeys.Need anymore?" I growled.

He smiled down at me," Exactly what I view. By the way, what is it with you and your ideology on Death?I know that doesn't set well with the Committee."

I took a deep breath," My father had taught me to respect everyone. Ever since I was little, my fater had told me stories about Death and his siblings. I loved them, but I always felt for Death. Being alone and all. It broke my heart every single time my father mentioned him,as if he didn't get a break. I told my father once:everyone deserved to be loved. Even the most darkest man.My father approved of my philosophy."

Mr.Nex stared at me with wonder," No one has ever thought of death like that," he paused," but I'm glad someone has some compassion for him."

"What about you?How do you view him?" I asked.

"I rather not say,my dear." he whispered.

I looked up to see him staring out longingly. I put my hand on his shoulder, gently rubbing it. I understood the fear of being judged. I sighed,it was getting late.

"I'm sorry,my lord, but I must turn in. Good night." I whispered.

He grabbed my hand before I could leave. He brought my hand up to his lips and pressed them against my palm and top. He then looked up at me, torture and pain in his eyes. Why was he upset? He stood up to his full height. I gently pulled my hand away, and walked back to the door.

"Goodnight, Anna." he whispered.

As I reached the door, I thought I heard him say," If I only could have you."

I blushed and walked into the door,heading to my room. This was going to be a long hard trip.