The Bride

The Night

I slowly climbed up the staircase to my room, my heart still pounding from the chat with Lord Nex. The way his dark eyes stared at me with that much intensity scared me. No one has ever looked at me like that.Not even my betrothed. I hurried on even faster, wanting to go hide in my room. I finally reached the old oak door that guarded my room. With a slam, I flung myself into the room. My knees suddenly became weak and I found myself on the floor,shaking. What had gotten into me? I've only been here for a little less than a day and I was already losing it.

"Come on,Anna," I whispered,hoping to lift my spirits," you can make it.If papa could do it, then why can't you?"

I stopped short. My father never had been to this place,so why the heck did I just say that? I shook my head, it had been a long day. It was time for me to go get some sleep and forget this stupid nonsense. I slowly got up, locked the door, and headed to the large bed. I pulled out my bag from underneath and grabbed my nightgown. I ran my hand through the white silk.So soft. I gently tugged my clothes off, letting them fall to the floor. With a sigh, I ruffled my hair, letting it fall to my back. Suddenly, a gentle breeze came through the room, making goosebumps creep on my skin. I pulled the gown over my head and crawled into the large, comfy bed. No sooner had my head hit the pillow, I was asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was in the ballroom again, but this time alone. With a quick glance, I found I was in the same dress again. Candlelight flickered gently across the marble floor, casting a soft light in the room.

"Anna..."

I heard the voice again, still deep and hurt. I spun around,hoping to find this poor soul. I was unsuccessful in the ballroom, so I decided to go out to the rose garden. Picking up my skirt, I quietly walked to where I was talking with Lord Nex earlier. The crimson roses were even brighter and a little....wilder. I ran my hand over a blooming bud, only to see it suddenly grow into a full rose. I stepped back, only to bump into someone. I turned around to see what looked like Katherine, but it wasn't. This girl was more beautiful, more...dangerous. She stared behind me, then back at me.

"Anna..." the voice pleaded again.

"Excuse me,"I looked at the unearthly Kat," I need to-"

"I know. You're going to go look for him. To 'save' him." she spat,leaning in,"I don't believe you really care for him, Anna. You just want the fame. Like Claire."

"Listen, I don't know you or who you're talking about," I snapped," but I am trying to find whoever is calling my dang name!"

"Wait." the creepy Kat pulled back," Someone's calling your name?"

"Yes. Do you know who he is?"

She didn't answer me. Instead she turned around and ran back inside the house. I quickly followed after her,hoping to find this strange voice. As soon as I set foot into the room,though, I had lost her. A wave of anger and sorrow hit me. It consumed me like a thick blanket. I sat on the marble floor, my head bent, a pain in my chest starting to throb. I only wanted to help, to save someone. A tear fell down my cheek,then another. Shortly after, I found myself bawling on the floor.

"I just wanted to ease the pain,"I whispered through gritted teeth," I don't want anyone to be in pain. No one deserves to go through that!"

I sat there and cried for what seemed like an eternity. Suddenly, I felt something heavy fall onto my shoulders. It was warm and thick, whatever it was. It smelled like musk and roses. I looked up to see no one.

"Anna,precious angel. Don't weep on my behalf."

I looked to see gloved hands holding my shoulders. It was Him. The man from last time.

"I heard you call out," I whispered," You seem in so much pain...I just wanted to help...but Katherine-"

"Ignore her," he spat, suddenly angry, "She thinks she knows best, but she knows jack."

"I didn't mean to upset you!"I said quickly, not wanting to make him angry.

"You didn't,angel. You can never upset me.I just don't like how she treats you in my house.Your house. Our house."

"What do you-" I began to get sleepy. Not again.

I tried to fight it,but to no avail. The man wrapped me in his arms, gently rocking me side to side. His warm body pressed against mine, wrapping me in a glorious warmth. Something I never felt before.I felt something slowly go down my head. Was it his hand? Then I felt something warm on my forehead,my eyesight suddenly getting dim.

"I will never let you go,Anna. You're home now." I felt another wave of warmth press to my head.

"But.. but... I don't..." I started to say.

"Shhhh. Shhhhhh. Sleep, My Love. All will be explained."

Before I could say another word, my eyes lowered even more. My world became blurry, fuzzy. My breathing began to slow, becoming more rhythmic. Half conscious, half asleep, I felt being lifted and carried. But where to? I tried to look up to see who was carrying me, but my eyesight was too blurry to tell. My eyes drifted further down, my head leaning back. A soft chuckle warmed my heart even more.

"You are so beautiful. So precious."

I was too fuzzy to speak. My eyes closed, drifting off to sleep. The only thing I vaguely remember is being laid on a soft surface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bright light streaming into my room is what woke me up. I slowly sat up, the fog of sleep still clinging to me. I slept really good. Stretching, I felt something heavy on my shoulders. Turning my head, my eyes widened. My fingers lightly touched my shoulders, feeling the heavy cloak. It wasn't a dream. It wasn't a dream. I pulled the cloak to see if I was hallucinating. It tugged against my shoulders. It was real. I jumped out of bed, gasping.

"Anna?"

I looked up, bewildered to see Katherine. The Katherine from last night replayed in my mind. My heart dropped. I hastily threw off the cloak, shoving it into the covers.

"Hey, are you okay? You got up late."

"Yeah," I faked a smile, " it was a rough night. I'll be down soon."

She smiled, turning and exiting. After she left,I pulled the cloak out, feeling its soft texture against my fingers. Something was off, something was unreal. Was it my imagination? Or was papa's stories true? I shook my head. No. It was only a story to make little girls behave. Yet something in me said otherwise. I looked at the cloak, wondering if Death was a person. If so, it would be nice for him to find solace in another soul. To be loved not hated. My heart dropped, turning cold. Those boys were here to kill Death. To destroy someone who never knew love. I pressed it to my heart. I couldn't let that happen. First, I decided, was to figure out if those stories were true. Then, if they were, I would need to find Death and warn him. Even at the cost of disgracing my family. I hid the cloak, heading downstairs determined to figure the mystery.