To Find the Lie, We Must Discard the Truth

“I went to the store sat on Santa’s lap.I asked him to bring my friends all kinds of crap.”

“so, who exactly comes to this party?” Veronica asks, putting on her jewelry. Tonight was the big Christmas party and I was less then excited to be going.

“everyone who is anyone.”

she laughs, “so specific.”

“you'll get to meet my friends tonight.”

“really?!” she seemed happy about this. More than I was. I had called Nate last week and he basically freaked out on me for not talking to him for months. He definitely gave me a long lecture on it but also agreed to come to the party tonight.

“yes really. Come on, we better get down there before my parents come up and pull us down.”

she sighs, “fine, I guess this looks good enough.”

This made me laugh, “your not going to be looking any better, so it's just useless.”

“I think that was a compliment.” I grab her hand and pull her out of the room and down to the crowd.

I didn't spot the guys so we just stuck to talking with a bunch of older people for the first hour or so.

“hey, I'm going to go get a drink.” Veronica says to me, “I'll be right back.” I let go of her hand and she walks toward the refreshments. I had been talking to some guy my dad works with, though when Veronica left our conversation sort of died down and he walked away.

About seven minutes later she came back with Dominic following her, asking for her to dance with him. I chuckle as Veronica approaches my side, “what? You're picking up guys at the refreshment table?” I joke.

Her eyes widen, “hell no, this guy is just being a total creep.” she says quietly, but I could tell Dominic heard.

I peck her lips and pull back, “don't worry, he's virgin, won't try anything.”

“dude!” Dominic broke in, “you cannot go around telling girls that.”

I full out laugh now, “Veronica, I'd like you to meet my friend Dominic. Dominic, this is my girlfriend Veronica.”

“oh, whoops.” he says.

“yeah, 'whoops.”

He turns to Veronica, “well, it's nice to meet you.”

“you too.” she replies.

“do you know where the rest of the guys are?” I ask Dominic. Just then someone jumped on my back.

“right here!” Eli screams in my ear.

“Eli!” I scream back and he jumps off, “what was that for?”

“what? I can't hug a good friend of mine?”

I roll my eyes, “hey man,” Nate says, slapping me on the back. “what's up?”

“what's your name sexy?” Joel asks, moving in on the other side of Veronica, next to her. I had to hold back my laugh as she pressed closer to me.

“Veronica, this is Eli, Nathaniel, and Joel. Conner is-” but I was cut off.

“right here.” Conner says, showing up out of no where.

“there.” I finish, “guys, this is my new girlfriend, Veronica.”

“oi, when did that happen?” Eli asks.

Veronica looks up at me, “just tell them Ryan.”

“tell them? We said we weren't going to do that Veronica.”

“yeah, and I'm telling you to tell your friends the truth or I will.” The guys were watching our small fight.

“fine.”

“I'm going to go talk with Katie and the girls then.” with that she left and I stood there with five confused guys

“what was that about?” Nate asks, looking worried. I don't answer and instead motion them to follow me. They do and we end up in my room. I walk to my window and look out it as the guys stand behind me.

“she's not actually my girlfriend.” I say and wait for the reactions that don't come, “she's my fiancée.”

“can you repeat that?” Conner asks.

I sigh and turn to face them, “it's an arranged marriage. Business deal between our two families.”

“dude, I'm sorry.” Nate says, “that must suck.”

“at least she's hot.” Dominic comments and everyone sends him a quick glare. “what? She is.”

“there's more though.”

Joel laughs, “what, is she pregnant or something?”

“why would you-” I shake my head, “no Joel, she's not pregnant.”

“oh.”

“She's Sky's cousin.”

“that is Sky's cousin? Da-amn.” Eli says, earning glares toward him now.

There was a knock on the door and then Blake entered. “hey, Ronnie told me you guys were up here...thought you might need support.” he says the last part to me and I shrug.

“they know if that's what you're wondering.”

“whoa, back up dude. You told Blake before any of us? We're talking about the player Blake.”

“he didn't exactly have a choice.” Blake says, walking more into the room.

“and why wouldn't he have a choice?” asks Conner.

“Because,” I answer, “he was, what's the term you use Blake?”

He smirks, “I was practicing.”

“right. He was 'practicing' with Veronica.”

The guys burst out laughing, “what?” Eli seemed shock, “first Amanda, then Sky, and now Veronica?”

the room seemed to freeze after he said that. Anger ran through me as I glared at Blake.

“you did what with Sky?” I ask.

Blake saw the anger and hurt in my eyes, I knew, because he put his hands up in surrender, backing up. “whoa, nothing. I swear Ryan. I didn't touch Sky. You know I didn't. The only time I ever really talked to her was on your birthday and that was all a misunderstanding, remember?” I kept walking forward as he walked back, “and-and she would have put me in the hospital if I tried anything. Think of who we're talking about here. Really Ryan, think. Sky wouldn't dare let me do anything to her, she wasn't a slut like Amanda and she wasn't the new girl like Veronica.” I still didn't stop. “aw, come on! She wasn't giving you any you really think she'd give any to me?!”

The room fell silent again and I froze in my step before collapsing to the floor. Guess my knees just didn't want to hold me up anymore. The memories of that night on the beach came rushing back to me. But with those memories came the talk of the next morning and her leaving the next week.

Blake also froze where he was but quickly recovered and bent down to my level. “are you going to kill me?” he asks in his serious tone.

I try to laugh but fail, “no.” I whisper.

“good.” he then does something that I hate to admit happened. He hugged me. Now I know it doesn't seem like something a big macho football player should do, but come on, I was in dire need at the moment. “I'm guessing I hit a soft spot there?”

“it was at the cabins before you guys showed up...” I say quietly.

Blake was silent for a moment, “and then she left.”

I nod. She left. So why does it feel as if she's still around?
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Song: Christmas Song by Phoebe Buffay
comment.subscribe.promote.
please!
<3 justrealizelife