To Find the Lie, We Must Discard the Truth

“‘I love you!’ Oh, really? Please go away.”

The following Friday I found the time to visit Sky’s parents. I also decided that Veronica would be going with me, against her will of course. We hadn’t spoken much over the week and I’m sure she didn’t really want to see her aunt and uncle. But I don’t care, life isn’t fair all the time.

Veronica had spent the majority of the ride to the jail silent, though a couple of times would ask where we were going.

“we’re going to the jail? Why would-” She pauses as it sinks in, “no.”

“yes.”

“Ryan, I’m not going.”

“yes you are.”

She stares at me as if I’m crazy, “I’m not supposed to interact with those….those people.”

“‘those people’ are your family.”

Veronica ignores that comment, “why are you even going? It’s not like they have anything to do with you.”

“is it a crime to check up on someone I once knew?”

“when it’s your exes parents, yes. This just proves what I said last week about you still loving her.”

I breathe deeply, trying to control my anger. “Yes, you’re right, I do still love her. And you’re just going to have to accept that because honestly, the way you’re acting right now, I don’t even like you.” Harsh, yes, but I was done taking crap from her. “I’ve been nothing but good to you Veronica. You make out with Blake and I don’t mind, you badmouth your family and I allow it only because that’s how you were raised. I make sure you eat everyday, do all of the house work. You even do the one thing I can’t stand, forgetting to tell me something until last minute. But guess what? I let it go. I can’t do it any more though. I can’t keep acting like a nice guy when you’re just going to stay the same spoiled bitch you are.”

I get out of the car and slam the door, not looking back to see the damage I did to Veronica. I d had enough of her attitude and I didn’t really care anymore. I was able to meet with the two of them in an actual room rather than through those stupid telephone booths. Which is just another one of the pluses to being a Richards.

“Ryan Richards, surprised to see you here.” Joe says as I enter the room. I just nod in acknowledgment.

“how’s Stanford Ryan?” Diana asks with a smile. It amazed me that she even remembered that.

“It’s been fine.” I answer, “how have you two been?”

“worried. It’s coming up on a year that Sky has been missing.” Joe was right, it was almost a year. How had I missed that? I could tell that he actually was worried about that, both of their expression showed it.

Silence filled the room as we all tried to think of what to say. Why did I come here again? “I talked to her.”

Both of their eyes widen, “you did? when? What did she say?” Diana seemed a little too eager for information, though I answer her nonetheless.

“It was on valentines day and she didn’t say much. Just made a few comments about her cousin and then asked me to check up on you two.”

“do you know where she is Ryan?” Joe asks.

“trust me, I wouldn’t be here if I knew where your daughter was. I can assure you she’s safe though.”

The guard comes in and informs me that my time is up. I leave the room without another word and show up to an empty car.

There was though, a note left on the seat from Veronica.

Ryan,

I had Katie pick me up. I’ll be staying there until we work things out.

-Veronica

I sigh and crumple up the piece of paper, not really caring where she was. At least I wouldn’t have to deal with her for the next couple of days.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife