To Find the Lie, We Must Discard the Truth

“Because life continues right or wrong when I play this birthday song.”

The guys were over once again, this time for a birthday celebration. Though all we could think to do was play video-games for the whole weekend. Best birthday-idea ever.

“so, any awesome presents from the ‘rents?” Nate asks while the two of us are finished with our round of the game.

“not even close.” I mumble. “my mom took it upon herself to plan out how I’m supposed to propose to Veronica. She even included what I say and a photographer to take pictures of it.”

The game pauses and Eli and Blake turn in their chairs to laugh along with the rest of the guys.

“so she’s thoughtful. What about your dad?” Connor offers.

“not as bad. He wrote down everything I should know about being married.”

“such as…”

“the husband is never right.” I memorized most of the list which just shows how bored I’ve been.”

This made them laugh even more. “well I’m sure Veronica will get you something more to your liking.” Blake says, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

I throw a pillow at him, “shut-up Blake.”

“hey, I’m just saying that it’s been almost a year now and I’m sure she’s been thinking about it too.”

I roll my eyes at him. Ever since Sara had decided to wait until later into their relationship to have sex (after that first night), he’s been talking about it constantly.

The doorbell rings, interrupting another comment from starting. I answer the door and look down to see Suzanne standing there with a box in her hands. Elisa was standing behind her with a smile on her face. “she really wanted to drop it off herself…” Elisa says, almost apologetically.

“hey, not a problem at all.” I kneel down to Suzy’s level, “what do ya got there Suzanne?”

she hands the box to me and I take it from her, “I made it in art class.” She says proudly. I carefully unwrap the paper and find a homemade ceramic mug. It was a bright blue with white clouds all around it.

I smile widely, “thank you Suzanne, it’s beautiful.” She grins back, satisfied with my reaction.

“well, we better be on our way,” Elisa says, looking down at Suzy.

“but I want to stay!” Suzy shouts.

I knew that Elisa was about to say no so I interfered, “it’s okay if she stays. I don’t mind.”

“you sure? It is your birthday and all, I don’t want her to be a burden.”

I chuckle, “don’t worry Elisa, I honestly haven’t done anything all day. It’ll be good to hang out with a kid for once.”

After making a time for her to pick Suzy up, Suzanne runs into the living room to greet the boys.

Or scare them I should say. She jumped out from behind the couch and practically gave them all heart attacks.

“dude! What’s she doing here?” Blake asks, looking down at Suzanne.

I set down the mug she made me and pick her up. “you remember the boys, right Suzy?” she nods and smiles at them.

“you scream like girls.” I couldn’t help but laugh at her statement while the guys glared at her.

“so what, are we babysitting her or something?” Connor asks, not taking his eyes off the video game.

I shrug, “I guess. Didn’t seem like we were doing anything too exciting. Plus she’s just too cute to say no to.”

“uh-huh.” Nate crosses his arms, “it couldn’t be that she reminds you of a certain someone, could it?”

So Nate caught me. But I wasn’t about to admit that to him. “of course not. where do you get those ideas Nate?” I noticed Matt sitting in his chair silent. Come to think of it, he had been silent for most of the day. Suzanne was playing a hand game with Blake, so I decided to ask Matt what was going on.

“Hey, Matt, you haven’t said anything all day.”

He rolls his eyes, “yes I did, I told you happy birthday.”

“and anything after that?” I could tell he was nervous about something, but I didn’t know what. “are you and Katie fighting or something?”

“well, kind of. But no. Honestly Ryan, I can’t really say anything about it.”

In the background I heard Suzy telling Blake how much she missed Sky. And the instant Sky’s name was mentioned, Matt tensed up. “It’s about her, isn’t it?”

“I seriously can’t say anything Ryan. I made a promise to Katie.”

“so she knows?”

He sighs, “yes. And I’ve already said too much. Damnit Ryan, don’t ask her anything.”

“I think I have a right to know.”

I was about to stand up and leave when Matt grabbed my arm, “Let her come to you Ryan. This is between you and Sky, Katie and I have nothing to do with it. She will come to you when the time is right.”

I stare at him for a moment, wondering if I should believe him. Has he talked to her? Seen her? What did Katie and him know that I didn’t? The questions were of many but I bit my tongue. Matt was right, I just needed to be patient.

I sit down and watch as my friends continue on with what they were doing. Isn’t it my party? But they’re the ones hanging out having fun while I sit on the sidelines, letting my past get in the way of any fun.

Blake picks up Suzy which surprises me. usually she doesn’t warm up to people very easily. “where are you two going?” I ask as they make their way out of the living-room.

Katie just shakes her head, telling me I couldn’t know. “We have something to do. And no, you can’t join.”

They disappear through the door and I turn back to the rest of the guys. “well, I’m going to go hang out in my room while you all play around down here.”

They nod, keeping their attention on the activity at hand. I sigh and head upstairs, turning on some music before plopping down on to my bed.
A blue envelope catches my eye, sitting on the pillow next to my head…Veronica’s pillow. The color contrasts with the bright pink of the pillow-case. It’s not a color Veronica would choose, and the guys really aren’t the type to be giving me cards. At least not since we were in elementary school.

I pick it up and find my name neatly scrolled on the front. The hand writing I could recognize from a mile away. It was Sky’s.

For someone who wanted me to forget about her, she sure knows how to force herself into my head.

I carefully, but quickly, tear open the envelope to find a note. What else would it be?

Dear Ryan,

I know it wasn’t even a month ago that we last talked. But I figured I owed you something for your birthday. That though, will come in a moment. How are my parents doing? I hope they didn’t give you too much hell for visiting. And I really hope you didn’t bring Veronica along. I’m sure you’re smarter than that though. I wish I could tell you that your birthday is going to be the best ever, just like everyone else does. Not only is that a cliché phrase, but it’s also a lie. I know that between your party, presents, and old friends that last year was your best. I do know that if you just let go for a moment, you’ll have a great day. Try not to think about last year, just think about the future.

And now for your present…well, look in the envelope you idiot!

I laugh and look in the envelope to find two tickets that looked like concert tickets. I flip them over and find that they’re tickets to see Weezer in concert.

Obviously you can take anyone you want but I’d suggest that if you don’t want to be sleeping on the couch for the rest of your life you take Veronica. Just a thought there. I know it’s not a week on the beach or anything so spectacular, but if I remember correctly (which I’m positive I do), I know you love the band. So there you go, an awesome birthday present, right?

I’ve told you this before and I’ll tell you again; Everything will work out in the end.

Love Always,

Blue Sky

P.S. I totally chose Weezer because I know Veronica hates them. You loving them is just an extra bonus =)


A laugh escapes my lips again. Of course she would know what Veronica hates. I didn’t even know. I set down the letter when I hear my name being called. Turns out Blake and Suzanne were making me a birthday cake. The rest of the night was spent watching Disney movies and eating junk food. Not the best birthday ever, but definitely not too terrible.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Song: Birthday Song by Don McLean
COMMENT.SUBSCRIBE.BEFRIEND.PROMOTE.
please.
<3 justrealizelife