To Find the Lie, We Must Discard the Truth

“If you just realized what I just realized.”

Prom soon passed by. As did finals and graduation. Cathy continued to check up on me, and though I still had people around me it was as if I didn't really have anymore friends. Mostly because I didn't want friends. All in all, I was becoming Sky.

And now it's October again. Time flies by when you're not doing anything. I was at Stanford, playing football and getting straight A's. That's all I ever did, study and sports. It distracted me as much as I was going to get distracted. Nothing could make me forget or move on from Sky though.

“dude! Get out of bed. We have the game in an hour. How many times do I have to remind you?!” my roommate Damien says.

I groan and drag myself out of my bed and into the shower. “there’s a party after the game, you’re going this time, right?!” Damien yells at me over the water. I shut it off and grab a towel to get dry.

“I haven’t been to one before, what would make this one so different?” I question, going to my closet and tossing on some basketball shorts.

“maybe the fact that you need to loosen up.” He didn’t know about Sky. Nobody knew about Sky.

“whatever.”

“and Rita from our math class is going to be there. We both know she’s been checking you out this whole time.”

“and I would have acted by now if I cared.” I remark. My phone rings then and I jump at the sound. Every time I heard it, I wished that it was Sky. Of course, that was never who it was.

“hello?” I answer.

“Hey Ryan.” my mom says.

“oh, hi.” It's not like I didn't like talking to my mom, I did. But usually she brought bad news along with each phone call and that's what I didn't like about it. “what's up?”

“Can you meet up for dinner anytime soon?”

“I guess. Does tomorrow work?”

“tomorrow sounds great. Say, Appetita at 7?”

“sure mom. That works.”

“Good. Love you Ryan, and good luck at your game today.”

“thanks.” and with that I hung up.

I walk back into the room and Damien was tying up his shoes. “what did your mom want?”

“just wishing me good luck on the game.”

“speaking of the game, we better get going.”

~~


I toss on a dress shirt and slacks to go meet my parents. Something that I wasn’t looking foreword too.

“got some hot date tonight?” Damien jokes as I grab my keys to leave.

“yeah, my parents.” I reply.

“funny dude. Really, where are you going?”

“to have dinner with my parents.” I say again.

“on a Saturday night?” I shrug and leave. I didn’t need his lecture on how anti-social I was being. I hadn’t gone home very often over the months because it reminded me so much of her. But then again, almost everything reminded me of her.

“What can I do for you sir?” the girl behind the counter asks fluttering her lashes at me one too many times. This is why I hate going out, having these slutty girls flirt with me.

“Reservations for the Richards.” I tell her. She leans over the book to show off her chest and I roll my eyes.

“right this way.” I follow her to the back where my parents were sitting.

“mom, dad,” I say, taking a seat next to Scarlet. “how are you guys?”

“I think the more appropriate question is how are you? we haven’t seen you in ages Ryan.” My mom complains.

“I know.”

“well are you going to give us a reason?”

“I doubt an explanation is needed.”

she sets down her napkin as the salad is served, “how's football? Did you guys win?”

“do we ever lose?” Scarlet laughs next to me. “football is going fine.”

“and school?” my father chimes in.

I furrow my brows at them, something was up. “why do I get the feeling that this dinner wasn't planned just to ask me about school and football?”

“I don't know what you're talking about Ryan.” my mom says, “can't we just have a nice family dinner every once in awhile?”

“no, we can't. Especially when Lydia isn't here.”

This made Scarlet laugh again, “I'd like to say I told you so.” she says. I crack a smile and my parents glare at her for a moment.

“so, what's this dinner really about?”

My mom focuses her attention back onto me, “well, remember Mary Richlet from Christmas last year?” I nod. Mary was one of Sky's aunts. “Her older sister, Caroline, has a daughter who has been away at private school for the past 12 years.”

“okay.”

“and she got kicked out. So she'll be coming back to live with Mary because Caroline is too busy to take care of her.”

“let's get to the point here mom.”

“we're having dinner with them on the tenth of November. You're going to be there and you're going to be nice to her, got it?”

I smile, “when am I ever rude?” my mom narrows her eyes at me, “fine, I got it. Do I at least get to know her name?”

“Veronica Stilt.”

And that marriage would be between you and Veronica. {/i}Sky's letter repeats in my head.

“I need you to answer something,” I tell her, “and please, tell me the truth.”

she glances at my dad and then back at me, “what is it?”

“you guys wouldn't, oh I don't know, be planning an arranged marriage between this Veronica girl and me, would you?”

my mom and dad share another look, this time of shock. “that's a yes.” Scarlet says to me.

“and how would you know Scar?” my dad asks, crossing his arms.

“let's just say your private meetings aren't all that private.” she smiles and turns her attention back to me, “she's seventeen and just started school with me. She has short curly blonde hair and semi-tan skin. Her eyes are blue and she listens mostly to the top 40 stuff. Um, she really likes shopping and cheerleading, kind of the all around popular girl. Though I think the whole thing is more of an act, I'm guessing she's more down to earth outside of school.”

“you've been doing your research.”

“well, when I heard about the marriage I thought I'd give you a heads up on who she is.”

“and that is why you're my favorite sister.”

my parents didn't look to happy about the conversation we were having. “is there anything else you two want to discuss tonight?”

my mom sighs in defeat, “I guess not.”

“okay, then I'm going to head out. I've got a big test to study for on Tuesday.”

we all say our goodbye's and I leave for the dorms. What I loved about the weekends was that I usually had the place to myself. And being by myself was all I really wanted to do these days.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife