To Find the Lie, We Must Discard the Truth

“You make me wanna say I do, I do, I do.”

Epilogue

It’s been ten days since Thanksgiving. Sky and I have talked but nothing more than that. We were both busy with finals that really doing ‘couple’ activities was too time consuming. We haven’t even told our families yet.

God knows they want us together though. My mom keeps calling asking about our status and I just tell her that we’re still working things out. Which isn’t an absolute lie, we are talking about everything that’s happened. And to make sure that we’ve worked things out, out families have decided to hold a dinner tonight. I think it’s another excuse for them to throw a party before Christmas, but hey, who am I to judge? It is my family after all.

I was now standing in the living room of Sky’s dorm, the same place I was just ten days before. Though this time around, I wanted to pick her up…and we aren’t in the midst of a fight. I glance up at the clock and notice that we were, once again, going to be late to dinner.

“Blue Sky Anastasia get your ass out here!” I yell to her since I didn’t know which room she was in.

Sky’s roommate pops her head out of one of the doorways, “her names Blue?” she asks. I still didn’t know her name and I have a feeling she’s not too fond of me. It’s not like I care though.

“yeah.” Without another word she goes back into her room.

Sky finally walks out of one of the rooms and my eyes practically pop out of the sockets. It wasn’t her skinny jeans or off the shoulder top that made me react that way. Or even how amazing she looks in general. No, it’s the fact that she now has blue, purple, pink, and black hair. Dark shades of all of them.

She was biting her lip nervously, “like it?”

“it’s definitely not blonde.”

“yeah, that was kind of the point. I love Veronica and all, I just couldn’t stand looking like her any longer.”

I notice then that her skin was a lighter tone, “how much scrubbing did that take?” I joke.

“way too much. Now come on, aren’t you the one that hates being late?” She steps around me to get to the door though I stop her with my free hand, grabbing hers.

“wait.” She turns around and I pull out the present from behind my back, “Happy Anniversary.”

A smile spreads across her lips as she takes the Blue Sky drink from my hand. “You remembered?”

I laugh, “and you forgot?” she nods shyly and I pull her into a hug, “don’t worry, I’ve got the whole night planned after dinner.”

“This is embarrassing, but what anniversary is it exactly?” Sky asks, pulling back from the embrace.

“We officially became a couple after the play. What other anniversaries are you thinking of?”

“uh, well, I wasn’t exactly thinking of any. Now before I get embarrassed anymore, let’s head out. We’re already late as it is.”

“yes, yes. Let’s go.” She sets down the soda and grabs my hand. We quickly walk out to the car and drive to her grandmother’s house.

We burst through the front door only to find everyone right there in the living room. Not exactly what we were expecting. “um, hi?” Sky says awkwardly. Just like my reaction, they were staring at her new hair style, or I guess color.

“Sky, what in the world did you do?” Mary asks, the first to speak up. As they had their little argument about the hair I scanned the room, I recognized everyone there, though I didn’t know one in particular. Veronica was sitting next to her grandmother. I will say that they did an amazing job at transforming Sky to look like her. Now though, they look like twins who are complete opposites. Which is closer to the truth than anything else.

“Okay, well now that you two have decided to join us, we will start the actual eating part of this dinner.” My mom comments.

Everyone agrees and stands up to head into the dining room. Sky grabs my hands and pulls on it a little to make me look her way, “can we please tell them now?”

“sur-” before I could even get an answer out she leaned up and kissed me. It was just a quick peck, but still shocked the whole room. My sister especially, Scarlet screamed at me for not telling her earlier. Sky’s grandmother scolded her for tossing two surprises on them in one day.

Once everyone was calmed down, we took our seats at the table for dinner. Most of the questions now were directed to Sky and I, although I’m pretty sure it would have been that way anyways.

After dinner Sky and I got out of there as fast as possible. We know our families and knew that we’d somehow get sucked into staying if we didn’t leave.

“So, where are we going?” Sky asks as we pull out of the drive way.

“be patient dear, we’ll be there soon enough.” I tell her with a smile. She glares at me and turns on the radio in an attempt to ignore me.

Half an hour later I pull into the parking lot of the cabins. When I got out of the car I realized Sky wasn’t following and peeked back in. Her eyes were closed and she looked like she was asleep. So much for all the planning I did.

Carefully I lift her out of the car and carry her to out cabin. She opens her eyes when I set her down on the bed, “you know I’m not asleep, right?”

“no I didn’t know that.” She sits up in the bed and laughs, “hey! You’re the one with your eyes closed.”

“yes, I was bored and closed my eyes for a second, doesn’t mean I’m sleeping.” She stands back up and walks over to me, “now, aren’t I supposed to thank you for bringing me here?” she asks seductively. I gulp, trying to stick to the plans I had.

“later,” I answer. “now though, we’re having a campfire.”

She pouts, “you’re an evil romantic boyfriend.” I laugh at that statement while walking back out to the beach. “Don’t walk away from me mister!!” She runs past me to block my path but instead stops herself, staring at the set-up I did this morning along with some things I had Cathy add just before we got here. “You did all of this?”

I nod, walking up to her side, “with help from Cathy.”

“why?” She was still focused on the picnic, the same one we had two years ago.

“well, I figured if we were going to do this, we should start from where we left off…and this seemed like the happiest time of that last month or so.” I explain, summarizing my very long reason.

“I’m so going to enjoy telling our kids, or anyone really, how we got together.”

“what? Fake-dating, dating, pretending to be someone else who is engaged to me, taking a break, and then dating again isn’t a normal relationship?”

Sky throws one of the brownies at me before taking a bite out of another one. “no Ryan, that’s not a normal relationship.”

She grabs at some more food and I decide this is the time I should give her the next present. I slip the item out of my pocket and get into the correct stance, “will this make it normal?” Sky looks at me like I’m weird for being on one knee and then she sees the ring and gasps. “Blue Sky Anastasia Reynolds, will you marry me?”

“you’re an idiot.” I straighten into a normal sitting position. “I mean, you don’t expect me to say yes, do you?”

“that is kind of the reason of asking…”

“I’m sorry, but the answer is no,” she casually takes another bite of her brownie while I’m staring at her in shock. “what?”

“There’s no explanation attached to that?”

“oh, well, it’s quite simple; I don’t want to get married when I’m a teenager. You remember so much about me, I thought you’d remember that rule I set for myself Ryan.”

I roll my eyes, “of course I remember your rule. It’s that you aren’t going to get married before you turn 25. I’m not asking you to marry me tomorrow.”

“you want to be engaged for seven years?”

I shrug, “we’ll have one freaking awesome wedding, that’s for sure.”

Sky laughs and grabs the ring from me, “you sure this isn’t some possession thing you guys have? It sounds like you want everyone to know I’m taken.”

“that too.”

“uh-huh. I guess I don’t have a very good argument to not say yes now, huh? I mean, if we’re not going to get married until I’m twenty-five, then there’s no reason to say no.”

“true.”

“But then again, you were too cheap to get me a new ring.”

“no, I was stupid before giving that ring to…well, you know what I mean when I say Veronica.” She nods, “she would have hated the ring now that I think about it. The diamond definitely isn’t big enough. But, it is the perfect ring for you.”

Sky grins, “you know what’s funny is that you were so blind from love that you honestly didn’t see that I was right in front of you. You hear stories about things like that, but it really happened to you!” she laughs at the thought in her head.

“did not!” I argue.

“really? Remember when I found the ring? I made some comment about it being your mom’s ring. At what point did your mother ever show Veronica her wedding ring? Along with that, I even asked the story, and if your mom had shown me the ring, I would have known the story. See where I’m going with this?” I narrow my eyes, knowing she’s right but not wanting to admit it. She leans over the little bit between us and kisses me on the lips shortly, “I’m just messing with you Ryan, don’t worry about it so much.”

I pull her closer so that she’s basically in my lap, “how about we just forget about the last year and a half?”

“sounds like a plan,” she kisses me again this time it lasts until we both can’t breathe. “you know what else sounds like a plan?” she whispers, “marrying you.” she slips the ring onto her pointer finger, “in the future of course.”

“That’s all I ask,” I kiss her forehead, “happy anniversary Sky.”

The rest of the night was spent right there on the beach, listening to the waves crash against the shore. It was quite a ride to get here, but I couldn’t be happier. I’m finally with the girl I’ve been thinking about since I was seven.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's the epilogue. I know it's crappy...I'm going to rewrite it at some point. Anyways, this is it, no more stories with these characters. it's all over. Thoughts?
comment.subscribe.befriend.promote.
<3 justrealizelife
please read my other stories!!!
Title Song: I do by Colbie Caillat