Status: hiatus

Two of Them

Caught My Eye

I’m at the airport.
I've been waiting at the airport for more than 2 hours. I drag my suitcase down to the seats with me and drop my bag to the floor. I sit down and look back at my watch.
My mom sends me here to live with my father I barely know. He’s a business man here and apparently he is extremely wealthy.
But, all my mom says is that it is less colder in Germany...
Suddenly, a man in a brown suit walks up to me. He's tall, has some facial hair, and rocks a Bluetooth on his ear.
“Genève!” The familiar man waves at me with a faint smile. I smile back.
“Hi, dad.” He looks like the man in the old baby pictures I use to go through in the albums.
“So how are you? How was your flight?”
I don't want to complain, “It was good.”
“Ah, you must be hungry, huh?” he asks. I nod. He drops my suitcase in the trunk of his SUV.
We then drive on the highways. I couldn’t understand the signs. We don't talk after. He's talks on his Bluetooth for the whole ride. I notice he has a big golden ring on his finger as he drives.
I sigh and keep wondering why my mom sent me here.
He stops at a random drive thru.
“Hallo. Willkommen bei McDonalds. Wie kann ich Ihnen helfen?” the speaker says.
“Hold on Carl...” my dad turns to me, “What do you want?”
“Uh, I’ll have a chicken salad.”
He turns to the speaker and talks in another language, “Ich nehme ein Big Mac Trio und ein Hähnchen-Salat, bitte.”
I look around through the window and tap my finger on my lap. We drive up and wait for our food.
“Why can’t we eat inside?” I ask.
“Oh, I still have to go to work. So I’m dropping you by the house. You can relax, there.”
I nod and keep quiet for the rest of the ride.
“Yeah, Carl—so what were you saying?”
I watch the sky.

Dad pulls up in a semi-circle drive way in front of this large beige house. This fair lady comes out with an apron. She has long blonde hair and big blue eyes and the whitest teeth I’ve ever seen.
I guess she's my step mother.
I come out of the car just like my dad.
“Hallo!” the lady exclaims, “I’m Catherina. You must be Genève. Oh, you’re gorgeous girl!”
I smile politely, “Thanks, Catherina.”
She has a funny accent, “Oh, call me Cathy.”
My dad retrieves my bag from the trunk. He's still talking on his phone.
Cathy takes my bag and puts her free arm around my shoulder, taking me inside the house.
There is a big tree sitting on the side of the house. It seemes like a rich neighbourhood.
“Oh, you’re father is silly. He buys fast food when I’m in the kitchen cooking up a storm.”
“It’s okay. I only ordered a salad,” I show her the brown paper bag with a faint yellow M on it, “Besides, he’s leaving for work.”
“Then we will get to know each other better, right?”
The hallway of this house is bigger than my whole house in Canada.
Above our heads hangs a chandelier. The floor shines and I clearly see my reflection.
“Tonight, my friends will be coming for dinner so all this food shouldn’t go to waste.”
I enter the kitchen. It looks exactly like the ones in those dream house magazines I always go through when I’m at the dentist.
Cathy walks up the staircase, “Come, I will show you your room. Now, I didn’t know your favourite color,” she keeps talking, “But I thought you might like neutral colors.”
Cathy opens the door and puts my bag against the soft ivory carpet. It was all nice and neat.
“I love it,” I smile widely. This is my room. Its so big. It had a walk in closet... I could get use to this.
“Oh, I’m glad,” she says, “I’ll be downstairs. Join me when you’re done getting settled.”
I open the laptop sitting on the desk and immediately sign in Facebook and update my status.
Got to Germany safely. I’m loving it so far :)
My friend Sarah pops up in the chat section.
OMG Gen! I miss you already!
Me too, I miss you all down there. What time is it down in Canada?
I’m getting ready for school, LOL. It’s 8:30!
Here it’s like 5 o'clock.
I chat with my friend for a short time. When she left, I start to unpack my things.
Cathy came in and says her guests should be here any minute.
“You don’t have to wear anything fancy. It’s just my close friend and her family.”
“Alright.” I smile. She left and I dig in my suit case for my favourite floral dress. It’s casual but the satin ribbon gives it a nicer look. I slip in my short dress and a cardigan over my shoulders.
I tie my hair in a bun and put on my precious locket around my neck. It means a lot to me because my grandmother gave it to me before she died. I walk downstairs once I hear the door bell.
I didn’t see my dad anywhere so I assume he was still working.
“Ah, Simone! Gordon! Come in,” Cathy greets her friends.
But what catches my eye isthe two young men standing in the doorway...
♠ ♠ ♠
New
Comment
Subscribe