Status: hiatus

Two of Them

Walks Right Out

Everyone speaks in German.
“Let me introduce to you Lionel’s daughter, Genève.” Cathy says. I smile and say hello.
“Nice to meet you Genève.”
“This is Simone and Gordon, and their boys, Bill and Tom.” Cathy points.
Bill is dressed in black from head to toe. Tom has a black bandana and a red blouse. He doesn't look too happy.
We all sit down at the table.
And once again, everyone is talking in German. I try to pick up what they are saying, but I give up shortly after and quickly eat my food.
Bill looks over at me, “So Genève, where do you come from?”
“Canada,” I say. I look over at Tom and he's pressing buttons on his phone. He doesn't seem interested with anything going on at the table.
“How do you like Germany so far?”
“So far... It’s very nice,” I nod, hoping there isn't vegetable stuck between my teeth.
Bill goes back to eating and complimenting Cathy’s cooking.
He must think I'm boring to talk to. I look down at my plate and scold myself.
Then, my dad comes, apologizing his late arrival and casually joins the table.
“I see you met the boys, Genève,” my dad comments. I look at Bill and Tom and nod. Tom gives me a bad look.
“Yes...”
“I work with their manager. These boys are very famous. Tokio Hotel, ever heard of their band?”
“No.” I shake my head.
“What, your mum never make you listen to music?” he laughs, “Can’t believe you never heard of them.”
I keep eating my food. But then feel the urge to defend myself when the boys stare at me.
“Well, I grew up in a small town... so...” I say.
“Well now you know,” Bill smiles, “Don’t tell too many people.”
“What, you listen to country?” my dad pushes.
I shrug, “I listen to the radio.”
“I’m done,” Tom interrupts everyone, “Excuse me.”
He gets up from the table and walks in the kitchen. It becomes quiet in the dining room.
“Forgive my brother. He’s grumpy,” Bill says.
“It’s okay...”
“And very rude.”
Just as Tom comes out from the kitchen, he eyes Bill.
“You have something to say to my face?”
“No, Tom.” Bill ignores him. Tom yells something in German that made everyone at the table a little shock. I don't understand but I act just as shocked.
Bill rushes up to his feet, making the chair to screech the floor behind him. He yells something back in German. But it only makes Tom laugh, irritated.
“Bill, Tom...” Miss Simone says softly, “Please.”
“Nein. Warum muss ich in Kauf nehmen Tom's Scheiße?” Bill yells at his mother.
“Meine Scheiße? Du bist der einzige mit einer Menge Scheiße!” Tom yells back, suddenly pointing at me.
“Just shut up Tom. You don’t know what you are talking about.” Bill sits back down.
I am frightened at this sudden disaster.
Even more so when I make eye contact with an angry Tom.
I shift my eyes back to my plate and then Tom walks right out of the house.