A Garden in a Cup

daisy, daisy, give me your answer do.

"You didn't do that with geraniums in, like, first grade?" Brendon asked, cocking his head at Ryan curiously. There was dirt under his fingernails and he was sitting on the patch of concrete in the backyard, legs splayed out. A styrofoam cup sat between them and there were two daisies poking up from it, picked from the unkept garden only a few minutes before. He was packing the dirt in around them now, making sure they were going to stay steady.

Ryan shook his head, taking another hit from the pipe. He was standing across from where his boyfriend was sitting, surveying the spectacle like an interesting sitcom. "No. And besides, styrofoam's bad for the environment. Takes seven years to break down or something."

Brendon's face fell at those words, but only momentarily. Not even global warming could kill his buzz or joy at that particular moment. He brought a hand up to scratch at his cheek and Ryan decided not to comment on the smudge of dirt that appeared when he did so. "Well, we did. In paper cups though. I think we were supposed to give them to our moms for Mothers' Day or something."

The older boy nodded, inhaling again. "Did your mom like it?"

Brendon giggled. Not laughed, giggled. "I don't know." He blushed slightly, ducking his head down and pressing some more of the dirt down before looking up at Ryan again. "I gave mine to this really pretty brunette girl I had a crush on."

Ryan laughed at that, but not at Brendon. He sat down finally, on his knees between Brendon's feet, the daisy in the styrofoam cup between them. "Yeah? Did she like it?"

He shook his head, pronounced bottom lip sticking out. "No. She said I was weird and she threw it on the ground. The dirt went everywhere." He reached his hand out for the pipe and Ryan passed it over. He lit it, drawing the smoke into his lungs and exhaling. "I'm pretty sure my dad had to pick me up from school 'cause I wouldn't stop crying."

"Oh, you poor baby," Ryan cooed, accepting the pipe back when it was handed to him. The bowl was nearly cashed, but he didn't move to light it again. "So, Chinese, yeah?" he asked, standing up, holding out his free hand for Brendon to take.

The younger boy did, pushing himself up with his free hand and then bending down to pick up the cup with the two daisies in it. "For you," he said, holding it out to Ryan, smiling broadly, most of his teeth showing.

Ryan didn't say anything for a moment, but then he let go of Brendon's hand reached out, accepting it carefully. He leaned over, his lips pressing against his boyfriend's cheek. "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do . . ."

". . . I'm half crazy all for the love of you,"
Brendon sang back, his arm reaching out and slipping around Ryan's waist, pulling the older boy in close, resting their foreheads together before he kissed him on the mouth, soft and full. "So . . . Chinese, yeah?" he asked as they broke apart.

Ryan nodded, still smiling. "Yeah, I'm kind of starving."

Brendon gave a small nod of his own, following his boyfriend inside, still humming the song quietly. It had been a good day.