Tales of Agonia: Book One

Chapter One

The girl hid on the roof top, her phoenix red hair tied back, her cowl pulled over her face. The guards were searching the city for young girls who could use magic. A blonde boy looked up at her and laid a finger against his lips. She nodded once.

"Lynn, they know it was you," her sister whispered behind her.

"Pray they don't go after Mage as well," Lynn looked back at her raven haired sister. It was hard to believe they were related. I can't believe they tried to touch me, they deserved to be burnt. I'm too hot to handle, Lynn seethed.

She had burnt some of the guard, because they had tried to grab her while she was walking home from the castle. Mage had been waiting for her and had thrown a shadow ball at them, taking her elbow and running. She'd been avoiding the guard for two years now.

In Mage's case, he was a rare find. Boys so rarely manifested magic.

The children were always in the front line of the war, throwing fire balls mostly. Agonia had been saved by the children's hides more then once. They always relied on the children.

Mage was grabbed from behind by a Guard. Lynn cursed, jumping off the roof. She landed on the guards back, flames engulfing her hands.

"Run Mage!" She yelled. He stared at her, as her green eyes flared. "Mage! Run now!" A magician stepped behind him, a bolt of lightening shooting from his palm. Lynn fell, her head hitting the cobblestones. Mage's long blonde hair whirled as he spun, a globe of shadow coalescing in his palm. The magician's eyes widened.

"Shadows will consume," Mage spat, throwing the ball at him. He scooped up Lynn, staggerig slightly under her weight. A bright orb of light blinded him.

"Light will banish," A female said. "You two stick together, like glue," Mage fell, cradling Lynn close.

"You can't have her," he snarled. He looked up at her. His vision was blurring, all he could see of her was her red eyes boring holes into his.

"I beg to differ. I am the Head Magician of the Champion. I can have whatever I damn well please," she sniffed. "You two would make a remarkable pair. Two years of hiding and you already know how to make shadow orbs," She guestered sharply and two guards picked up Lynn and Mage. "Take them to the castle," Mage tried to struggle and the guard hit him with the hilt of his sword.