Lessons Unlearned

1/1

Cara sighed as she plopped down in the window seat; It had been a long day, too long. She bent down and picked up an elegant book, off a large stack on the floor, running her fingers over the edges... It was her only friend. Slowly, Cara opened the cover and flipped through the pages. Frankenstein, her favorite book, always there for her when she need an escape. She could fall into the world of make believe, the world of horror... Gothic fiction and the era of Romanticism.

There were lessons to be learned from Frankenstein, great lessons... fantastic lessons! Cara wished so badly that her peers could learn from it as well. She wished that they would learn to treat others better... to not be so quick to judge. These are not the usual lessons that can be taken from the story, but they are the ones that Cara found. Cara understood the creatures pain. She understood what it was like to be different, abandoned, and most prominently: alone.

Cara was alone in every aspect that she could think of. Her parents seemed to be always working, and when they weren't, they were holed up in their room or off on a "date night." Cara's friends? She had none. Not since people found out about her problem, which really wasn't that bad. That didn't stop the other kids from judging her, though. It was bad enough that the other children didn't want to be around her; She could deal with that. No, they had to take it a step farther and bully her every single day. That, Cara had problems dealing with. Kids found out about her problem when she was in fifth grade, Tourette's Syndrome, and everyone of them deemed her as a freak. Cara was disgusting because she was different, just like the creature in Frankenstein. She felt his pain; She understood and sympathized with him. Cara had found a friend in the fictional creature.

Unlike others, Cara saw past the main lesson. She saw past the "Only God can create man," moral. Cara saw what was truly important; How you treat people. That's all that really matters... How you make people feel. As far as she was concerned, the people of her town failed that test on an epic level. She wasn't disgusting; just, a little different. Cara wanted so desperately for somebody to see past this. So desperately for somebody to see her for who she really was. Not that "freak with the twitching problem;" but a sweet, young, girl who has a heart of gold and a personality to match.

A tear slipped from Cara's eye as she closed the book. She knew that she would never be happy like the Creature, eventually, was. Cara knew that she would never have a friend like he had found.