A Year Without Rain

One

The sky tonight is so beautiful. There isn't a single cloud in the sky and it's showing the minimal amount of stars that aren't blocked out by the nearby city lights. The cool breeze rippled through my hair as I sat on the beach. I didn't know what had happened this time, but I ended up leaving him again. Now, I was sitting in the dark trying to think about how things could have gone wrong between us. When I first met him things were great. We hung out and became friends for awhile. It wasn't until about two years into our friendship that we started dating.

I saw nothing wrong with that considering we knew each other pretty well already. Then it seemed like everything came crashing down before my eyes. Six months into our relationship he asked me to move in with him. I agreed because I loved him so much, but I think that's what made the relationship spiral out of control even more. We continuously fought over the smallest things and nothing we did seemed to work.

I sighed as I swept some hair out of my eyes and behind my ear. The cool breeze was starting to make me cold, but I didn't want to move. Something about the beach seemed to make me calm as I remembered the latest fight that we got ourselves into.

"I'm done, Zacky, you hear me I'm done," I yelled at him.

"Haylie, no please, don't go," he begged.

"No, I mean it. I'm sick of this. What the hell happened to us?" I asked him.

I felt tears slide down my face as I stared into his green eyes. The green eyes that made my heart melt whenever I stared into them. Right now, though I felt nothing but hatred for this person. I don't even know where the sudden hatred came from either.

"Haylie, you can't leave. I need you," he pleaded.

"It's too late, Zacky," I said.


I felt a single tear slide down my cheek as I remembered the final words I ever said to him. I brought my knees up to my chest and rested my head against them.

"Haylie," a voice said quietly.

I jumped and turned around. I smiled weakly at who was there. "Hey, Matt," I said.
He sat down next to me. We stared out into the churning ocean in silence for a bit. When I became friends with Zacky, he had introduced me to his other friends. Matt and I became rather close, like brother and sister. Johnny was like my younger annoying brother in a sense. Brian and Jimmy were just really great friends to be around. Jimmy always knew how to get me to smile when Zacky and I were having problems.

"So, Zacky told me that you left," Matt said quietly.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Why?" he asked.

"I couldn't stand the fighting anymore. Nothing we did seemed to work. We've tried counseling, we've tried just about everything and nothing seems to be working for us," I told him.

"Do you love him?" he questioned.

"Of course I do. I'll always love him, but I don't think I can go back to him if all we're going to do is fight like this," I replied honestly.

His arm wrapped around my shoulder and he pulled me into his side. He rubbed my arm up and down and it made some of the cold disappear. I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed. He rested his head against mine.

"I'm not going to tell you how to live your life Haylie, but I will say this. If you love him as much as you say you do, then maybe he deserves another chance," he whispered.

I pulled away and looked up at him. "But I've given him like five chances already, possibly
even more than five, and we still end up fighting," I told him.

We lapsed into silence again as I got lost in my thoughts when something dawned on me.

"Do you think we're meant to be a couple or just friends?" I asked him.

He looked down at me. "Honestly?" he asked.

I nodded. "Well, then yes. I've never seen him as happy with someone else as he is with you. It's like you light up his life. You don't beat around the bush when you do argue," he answered.

Silence fell between us again until he hugged me tightly. "I'll let you think some more, but just remember even though you and Zacky fight so much, you always come back together knowing that you love each other," he said.

He stood up and then left me alone once again. I immediately missed his warmth. I shivered a little more before deciding to finally leave the beach. I stood up and brushed myself off. When I turned around I stared right into the eyes of my ex-boyfriend. My breath hitched in my throat as he walked closer to me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked quietly.

"Looking for you," he said.

"Why?"

"Because, Haylie, I love you. I can't stand to be without you," he said.

"Then why the hell do we fight almost every waking moment of every single day?" I
demanded.

"We love each other. Couples fight," he said.

"Not as much as we do," I said, turning my head away from him.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I mean, maybe we just aren't meant to be together as a couple," I said still not looking at him.

My head was moved so that I had nowhere else to look except his face.

"Yes, we are meant to be together. I can't help that I'm in love with you. There is no chance in hell that I will ever let you go," he said, "Not without a fight," he added letting a smile grace his face.

I giggled a little. His eyes sparkled in the moonlight and I leaned into him. His arms wrapped around my waist and held me tightly against his body.

"I love you, Zacky," I said quietly.

"I love you too," he whispered.

I pulled away and looked at him. "I don't know why I left to begin with. I guess I was just angry, but since I've been sitting out here thinking, I've realized something," I told him.

"What's that?"

"My world feels so fucking empty without you and wherever I look all I see is your face. You haunt my conscious and I miss you so much," I said.

"I miss you too, baby," he said.

I smiled. "My heart belongs to you. It always will belong to you because a day without you feels like an entire year without rain," I said, looking up into his eyes.

He smiled at me and then leaned down. He pressed his lips to mine and the cool metal of his snakebites made me shiver. His arms tightened around me as he deepened the kiss. My arms snaked up his chest and locked around his neck. He leaned down a little and picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist. The kiss broke and we were both breathing hard. He rested his forehead against mine.

"Let's go home," he whispered.

I smiled and kissed him again. He carried me all the way back to our home. I don't know why I ran from him, but I know now that I couldn't go a single day without him. There was no way that I could survive without him in my life. He meant a lot to me and I wanted to keep it that way.

Since the night at the beach our relationship has only grown stronger. Needless to say, that last fight we had when I left him had been our last one. We no longer fought like cats and dogs and it made the relationship that much easier. I loved him and I knew that he loved me and that's all I needed to stay with him.