Breaking Innocence

Chapter 5

In the a.m. the sun creeps through the window, shining on the bed, and warming Akeeda’s feet. Her eye cease to be open and she thoughts of Bowerstone that had strayed from her dreams came to her mind; maybe the night before had been a horrible dream. Barry Hatch’s head peeked around the corner into her room as she slept. A breakfast roll flies through the air and hits her in the head. Barry Hatch turned to leave as he said, “Wake up and eat that thing.” She groans as she turns over in the plush bed. “We’ve got work to do today.” She hears him call.

The pains in her muscles were almost gone, she noticed as she swung her legs off the edge of the bed. She glances to the side and sees a stack of folded clothes she had guessed was intended for her.

The clothes fit very well, though she wasn’t used to the long skirt. She smoothed out the apron with her small hands. As she looked in the mirror she began to realize that what happened wasn’t a dream. She was doomed to work as a slave for a man that seemed so horrible. She turned and grabbed the breakfast roll from the bed as she walked out of her bedroom and into the Foyer. The house seemed much brighter in the daylight. She sees Barry Hatch closing the drapes, restoring all the darkness she’d been introduced to. Once he’s finished, he turns to Akeeda with a smile.

“Reaver’s never been to fond the sunlight.” She motions with his hand to follow him. He takes her into a large room that she’d more than quickly identified as the dining hall.

“This is where he likes to eat. Usually alone, unless there’s someone rich and important he feels like dining with, or if he throws one of his famous Masquerade parties.” Barry turns midway through the room and walks into the kitchen. There are vegetables every where, a large keg probably filled with something alcoholic, and a small table with a few chairs.

“This is where we eat.” Akeeda ran her fingers over the rough splintery wood of the table. Barry turned and looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“Did you brush your hair?” Akeeda lifted her hand to her head and felt the ratty nest of hair.
“You can’t be looking like that.” Barry took a handkerchief from his pocket and turned her around. He pulled her hair into a bun and wrapped the handkerchief around it to keep it in place.

“There you are.” Barry turns and begins to make breakfast.

The whole kitchen smelled of sausage and bacon and eggs and warm buttered toast. The kitchen was a tad smoky as Barry cooked. Akeeda was there to observe. She may have to cook for Reaver at some point. She wasn’t sure exactly what her tasks would consist of but she knew there would probably be a plethora of them. Barry hatch arranged the hot food on the plate perfectly and got a new bottle of soft red wine. He picked up the plate and the wine and as he carried them out he said to Akeeda.

“Grab a glass and a napkin and silverware.” Akeeda’s eyes scanned the room until she spotted the necessary items and hurried after him.

The dining hall was most likely one of the only rooms to be bright with sunlight. She saw Reaver sitting by himself at the end of the table cleaning a shiny turret pistol. He sat the pistol aside as Barry placed the plate in front of him. Barry took the napkin from Akeeda, folded it nicely and set it next to the plate. He placed the silverware she’d brought on the napkin and Akeeda sat the glass down near the top of the plate. Reaver didn’t look at either of them as they did so. He just sat quietly as he waited for them to finish. Barry poured the wine slowly and left the bottle next to the glass.

“Very good. You may go now.” Reaver orders in a low tone. Barry Hatch turns and grabs Akeeda’s arm as he totters back to the kitchen. She sat down on one of the worn chairs at their little table as Barry Hatch put the rest of the food on two plates and sat one down in front of her and sat in front of the other.

“Alright,” Barry said just before taking a large bite of bacon, “Your tasks here will probably consist of cleaning and fetching for Reaver.” Akeeda takes a bite of the Bacon.

“Now, Reaver doesn’t send for things much. Usually you can just fetch him the usual necessities. Towels and wine in the evening, Tea in the afternoon, fill a hot bath for him in the evenings too.” Akeeda nods in agreement. It didn’t sound difficult. Barry Hatch’s face got close to hers, “You don’t want to be around when he has his guests unless he throws one of his parties. His guests are usually private; at least for a girl your age, I’ll probably be listening at the door.” He gazed off into space for a moment and shook his head back into reality.

“I’ll walk around with you for the afternoon and then you can see how you do tonight. You can run the bath and bring him his wine.” Akeeda nodded and ate more bacon.
 
 
The day went by quickly with labor. Akeeda participated when it came to dusting and cleaning the dishes. She might as well get used to it. Reaver had left early in the day.
“Hatch!” He called from his quarters. Barry rushed over from a bookcase and Akeeda hurried after him. Barry stopped suddenly and gripped her shoulders to stop her. He seemed to know exactly what Reaver wanted.

“This is for my ears only.” He quickly turned and continued into the room leaving it open a crack. Akeeda stayed where he’d left her. She could hear muffled words. A sharp cut of curiosity drew her closer to the door and she got to her knees and peered through the crack to see Barry walking to Reaver as he stood in front of a mirror.

“Mr. Coulter is going to be stopping by this evening to pick up the package.” Reaver said. Barry grabbed a white jacket and slid it on Reaver’s slender arms.

“You’ve found another one, sir?” Barry replied.
“Of course I have. Don’t I always?”

“You do.” Barry started smoothing out the fabric and picking pieces of lint from it.
“I’m sure Mrs. Coulter wouldn’t mind if I sent him back slightly decrepit. If he’s alive enough to even be sent back in the first place.”

“Perhaps you could console her, sir.” Barry chuckles.

“I have a meeting in Bowerstone Industrial. The fools are rioting again. When will they learn that they’re lucky to work for me. If they don’t like their work, I could just put and end to their misery with one flex of my pointer finger.” He chortled.

“It’s the gracious thing to do.” Akeeda sat back and covered her mouth in shock. A white cane pushed on the door suddenly. Reaver glared over her as she sat on the floor in horror. Barry looked at her in fear.

“I’m sorry sir!” Barry rushed past him and pulled her up by her arm, “I told her to stay put.” Reaver’s cane hit the floor with a tiny clink.

“That’s alright.” A depraved look fell across Reaver’s face.

“Who would she tell? She’s not going anywhere.”

Reaver slowly strolled to the door and Barry rushed over and opened it for him. Once Reaver’s carriage was gone Barry turned to Akeeda in dismay.
“You don’t even want to do that again!” He shouted. He seemed to try to calm himself, “Things like that can get you killed.” Akeeda felt a lump in her throat and looked down.
“Come on,” He said with a sigh, “I’ll show you how to heat the water. He won’t be home for hours but it will take at least two to heat it all.” He escorted her to the kitchen again.

Six o’ clock crept up on them. They both jumped when a large knock came to the door. Akeeda assumed it was Mr. Coulter. Barry hopped up and looked at her quickly and stared at her for a moment.

“I’ll stay here.” Her said.

“Good.” He hurried out of the room. Immediately she poked her head out of the kitchen and could see Barry turn towards the stairs and continued to Reaver’s quarters and disappear for a moment. He quickly appeared again with a round object wrapped in Brown cloth and answered the door. The two men spoke for a few minutes before handing the package to Mr. Coulter. Akeeda jumped back into her chair. Barry entered the room and crossed his arms at her.

“You just can’t help it can you?”

“Help what?” His eyes narrowed at her.

“Well how am I supposed to stand to be trapped somewhere that’s so secretive!?”

“You’re too young.”

He walked over to the metal bucket full of water they’d placed over hot flaming coals. It had been boiling for sometime. He gripped the handle with a thick rag and poured into a wooden bucket and refilled it with more cold water from the spout. He pointed to it and the other bucket he’d filled a little while earlier.

“Fill the bath. He should be back soon. He likes a hot bath waiting for him.” Akeeda grabbed the buckets. This was something she knew she could do. She’d carried heavy crates and buckets for John the Barman for years. She made it to his quarters. The room was so lavish. Much more than she’d expected. The room was dark red with guns hung around the room, bookshelves filled with old scrolls and books, maps and documents covered the desk that sat near the western window. The bed was so large that it surprised her. Soft, golden-trimmed pillows covered it and a thick blanket lay loosely over the dark red sheets.

She spotted the bathroom through a large door in his room. She set down one of the buckets and poured the steaming water out of the other one into the claw foot tub that was positioned in the center of the room. She heard footsteps in the bedroom behind her. When she turned she caught the slightest glimpse of Reaver walking past the door. She tried to remain quiet, even though he without a doubt knew she was there. She could hear him take off his jacket in the other room as she poured the second steaming bucket. His foot steps began to approach her from behind. She turned to look and noticed her was unbuttoning his shirt. He tossed his shirt into the corner of the room and slipped off his boots. He yawned in exhaustion and began to slowly unfasten his belt as if she weren't even there.

He looked up at her and smiled with a raised eye brow. He slid his trousers off of his hips. Akeeda felt her stomach turn and she quickly turned back around and continued to pour the water. Her heart pounded and she felt a strange tickle in her stomach. He was taller than she, and he was pale as were all of the richest folk. He was thin, but the muscles in his arms, defined. His face seemed perfect, with his full lips and the ironic heart below his eye.

Akeeda felt him get closer behind her.

“Aren't you going to get my clothes?” He said in a hushed tone, his maniacally hot breath touching her shoulders. It felt as if her very heart would beat out of her chest, but she wasn't clear on whether it was fear. She began to shake but felt frozen to the spot. It seemed as if this were going on for hours. She heard footsteps enter the room. A sense of relief seemed to drown her when she saw Barry Hatch walking to the bathtub with the final bucket. He stood across the tub at her and poured it in, a thin smile quivered on his face as he tried not to burst into laughter at her complete incompetence to the situation. Barry snatched up the buckets and Akeeda quickly grabbed Reaver's clothes to be laundered. Barry left Reaver's quarters and Akeeda chased after him trying her hardest not to even glance at Reaver's creamy pale body.

Akeeda sped out the door and bumped into Barry.

“Did you like it?” He asked quietly.

She began to walk back to the kitchen.
“Like what?”

“What he was doing to you.” She could hear the randy tone in his voice as he spoke, but Akeeda was puzzled.

“What was he doing?” They reach the kitchen and Barry rushes to the corner, sets the buckets down, and grabs a basket for the clothes.

“Are you kidding?” He leaned on the table after he set the basket down, “You mean you've never done anything like that?” Akeeda raises an eyebrow in question.

“You've never been touched until you couldn't breathe. Never been thrusted into until it hurt?” Barry rolled his tongue between his teeth.

“You're disgusting!” Akeeda shoved the basket at his chest and turned to leave. Barry ran to block her path.

“Never even a kiss?”

“That's none of your business!”

“That's hard to believe. You're very um...” Barry's eyes wandered, “Well put together.”

Akeeda pushes past him and goes to her room. Why was she so doomed to be stuck in such a place? Her mind kept wandering to the way Reaver's breathe felt. She still didn't understand why she liked it so much. She was just thankful she didn't see Reaver much. Maybe this wouldn't happen again. She began to dress into her nightwear. She even remembered to brush her hair as her mind kept snapping back to the things Barry had said to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is where it starts to get a little... graphic.