Too Much

too much of anything is too much

Alex Gaskarth sat in his silent home, a blank expression on his slightly scruffy face as he stared at the television in front of him. He hadn't shaved in a few days, mainly just because he was too lazy; but also, for the fact that he liked a little stubble to show for his fans. His pajamas - basketball shorts and a white v-neck - were still on, even thought it was six in the afternoon. He hadn't been outside all day, so what was the point in changing? Besides, it's not like he had anyone to impress. He wasn't on this world to impress anyone but himself.

But, for the last year or so, he had wanted to impress a girl he loved dearly; in his mind, he, unfortunately, failed to do so. Said girl had been the boy's girlfriend for many months, nearly two years, until just two months ago the two had parted ways.

Alex cringed at the thought of the day he and the girl he thought he was going to marry had split up. It was a terrible day, really, for the both of them. After two years of sticking with one another, they went their separate ways on a very bad note. For the last six months in the relationship, the couple and a fighting had become best friends. Over every little thing, either one or the other blew up about it started a week long argument before they finally made up, and celebrated their reconnection in the bedroom they shared.

But they didn't really think anything of it at first. It was common for differences to show in the first few months of living together. Every couple is bound to have different living styles, some that the significant other doesn't really enjoy; but, they tolerate it if they truly love the other person. And Autumn and Alex did truly love each other. But the fighting was just too much, and they couldn't stand it.

----

"God, Alex, do ever pick up after yourself? Every day I come home to a messy house! Don't you ever once think that maybe, it's be nice to be clean for once in your life?" Autumn yelled, groaning unattractively as her forefingers massaged her temples. A headache was already pounding in her skull as she rolled her green eyes at the boy before her. Lately, he's been getting on her last nerve; and everyone who knows her well, knows that aggravating her to an extreme is a rare thing to be able to do. "Time after time I have to pick up your fucking stuff. Whether it be your guitars, or CDs, or music sheets, or clothes. I mean, Jesus, do you just walk around and throw stuff on the floor just to piss me off?"

"Why the fuck would I do that, Autumn? Don't be stupid." Alex snapped, grumbling under his breath angrily. He didn't care if she had heard, though. In fact, he preferred it. Maybe then she'd get mad and cool off in the bedrooms.

But what Alex had said had done it for Autumn. She was through with it all. She didn't care if they had been together for two months; him calling her stupid was where she drew the line. Sure, the two have had their nasty fights in the past, but him calling her stupid was just unacceptable. No, it wasn't the only contributing factor for her finalizing her decision on her breaking up with him. Like she had said, she was constantly picking up after him and their friends. And after months of doing so, it was just too much.

Autumn sighed, standing up straight, something she did when she wanted to get the point over that she was being serious. Alex didn't like the looks of it; his heart nearly dropped out of his stomach. Part of him knew what she was about to say next. "Alex, this is too much. I can't do it anymore-"

Alex shook his head, starting to get angry. She was leaving because she had been picking up after him? "Do what? I can pick up after myself-"

"No, I don't mean that! If you let me fucking finish!" Autumn snapped viciously, causing even herself to be a little shocked at the tone in her voice. But how could she not be so angry? He was constantly interrupting her, and she was just fed up with it all. "I mean, I can't do us."

Her boyfriend froze. Did he just hear her correctly? She didn't want to be together anymore? "What do you mean?" Alex asked quietly, a terrible safeness in his shaking voice. He didn't want this to end.

"What I mean is...I..." Autumn blinked back a few tears. Was she really about to just break it off? "I mean all this fighting isn't getting us anywhere. We fight too often, and I can't deal with it anymore. Alex, I love you...but it's just not enough anymore."


----

Alex's heart ached with a pain that was unexplainable. He missed Autumn terribly. At first, he was glad they were taking a break. He was free to do whatever - or whoever - he wanted. He could just goof off with his band mates and drink everything he laid eyes on.

But, after about a month after living freely, being alone was starting to take it's toll and it was all getting old.

He missed her dearly. Yes, he should have made some changes. He could've cleaned up after himself, and he could have helped out with some of the chores. He could have done the dishes a few nights, and he could have done the laundry. He could have made dinner the nights she worked. He could have done a lot of things. But he didn't. He figured, that since they were so in love, that she didn't mind doing all of it. He just figured that since she loved him, she'd live with all his imperfections.

But Alex was very wrong. And now, he's paying for his actions.

Many nights ago, he and Autumn used to sleep together, tangled up in as many ways possible. The two wanted to be as close as they could with each other. Yes, more nights were a little more frisky than others, but they were all emitting the love the two shared.

But now, Alex was very cold in his bed. Subconsciously, he reached over to pull the girl he was still in love with closer, but to no avail. There was just air. No longer laid the girl with blond hair and blue eyes, only more sheets and blankets, and two small puppies that Alex loved dearly.

Alex let out a slow and long breath, reaching out and petting one of his dogs. The dog wasn't phased as Alex's callused hand stroked his soft fur; he only kept sleeping. Alex found himself blinking back a few tears. He missed Autumn with all his heart, and there was no way he could get her back.

He wanted desperately to have a reason to feel that everything that happened, happened for a reason. But he couldn't find any. He knew in his heart that Autumn and him were meant to be married, not split up. He couldn't go begging at her feet. He figured that she had moved on, gotten together with another guy, and was happy with him.

But he was very, very wrong. For Autumn Cruz missed Alex just as much as he missed her. She just didn't know it.

--

Weeks and weeks passed the same. Alex was desperately missing the girl he wanted to marry, and she him. But the two hadn't seen each other since the day Autumn had left. Alex was slowly going into a state of isolation. His friends tried and tried to get him out the house, but he wasn't having it. He wanted to be with Autumn; that was all there was to it.

Finally, after four months. Alex had had enough. He was going to get back the girl he was madly in love with, even if he had to give up music. He wanted to be with her and only her.

Little did Alex know, that she would be saying yes the second he asked. It was meant to be. Even though they fought too much, they were so in love that they could conquer anything, even if it meant ripping each other's head off every once in a while.