Status: Active

"Action Man Says He's Coming."

Chapter 11: Strength of the World

The team drove in through the main gate easily...too easily. Jessi looked over at Becker, who was driving and he didn't look happy. They parked and everyone got out.

"They should've checked our passes", he said looking both confused and irritated.

"Yea, your men are gettin' slack", Cutter said. It was no secret that he had a dislike for the government. He was smart enough to see the need for them but he didn't have to like it. Jessi's father, like most cowboys, thought much the same way.

"You go on ahead. I'm gonna have a little chat with security", Becker said purposefully walking back towards the gate.

Just then Jessi was hit by a bad feeling, a very bad feeling. Something was about to happen.

*Abby. I'm having that feeling again. My animal self is telling me that something very bad is going to happen*, she told her cousin with her telepathy.

"You warn Becker. I'll keep an eye on the others*, Abby replied.

Jessi ran after Becker.

"Beck, wait", she called.

He stopped and looked at her, catching the worry in her voice. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Call me crazy, but I've got a really bad feeling. There's something not right here".

"What are you talking about?"

They started walking again.

"I mean something's not right! I can feel it. The last time this happened Stephen died. Every time I get this feeling something bad happens. Animals have a similar kind of instinct", she explained.

He scrutinized her carefully then nodded. "Ok. Do you think this has to do with Helen?" he asked.

"I'd be willing to bet a shit loada money on it", she said.

"Alright let's do this. But you stay behind me. It that clear?" he said sternly as he checked over his gun.

"Now wait just a min...", Jessi started to argue before Becker interrupted her.

"This has nothing to do with gender. I've had more training than you so I go first", he said in his no nonsense, my way no highway option, soldier voice.

Jessi nodded. She pulled out her Winchester.

"I'll never understand why you carry guns like that", Becker sighed.

"Well since you don't carry them I suppose you don't have to".

He just shook his head. They snuck into the building, the place was infested with Helen's men. One was standing outside a room down the hall from them as they peaked around the corner.

*They're in there*, she told Becker.

He nodded. They crept quietly until they reached him. Becker took the guard with a killed left hook. Jessi quickly opened the door. He dragged the unconscious guard into the room. Abby, Conner, Jenny, Lester and Sarah had been trapped in there.

"Everyone ok?" Jessi asked.

"Helen's taken over the ARC", Lester informed them.

"We know", Becker nodded. "Her people are crawling all over the place".

"How many men have you got with you?" Lester asked.

"Just me. Should be enough", he replied with a cocky smirk.

"Hey! Me too!" Jessi argued.

Conner grabbed a CD and walked up to Becker. "Becker, we need to get this to the PA systems", he told him.

"What is it?...Doesn't matter. You come with me", he pointed to Conner. "The rest of you, stay here".

"I'm going with you", Jessi told Becker.

"No. You need to stay here and watch the rest", he said to her.

"Oh no. You're not gonna give me a nonexistent job just to shut me up", she growled.

"I'm not. But if something goes wrong with us or if one of her men come down here I need someone with the others who knows what she's doing. Divide and conquer, Jessi", he reassured her.

"Fine but be careful. I'll be monitoring you", she tapped her head and he felt her enter his mind.

"I will", he placed a quick peck on her check before leaving. Had she blinked she would've missed it.

<{~*~}>

Becker's POV

Becker and Conner snuck down the hallway to the room that Conner needed. The door was open with a guard just inside. He pushed Conner up to the door. Just before the brute attacked Conner ducked and Becker swung a mighty punch. Conner scrambled to the computer and Becker dealt with the guard. He swung twice at him and he was able to block the guards attack. Becker punched him in the gut and kneed him in the head. With one final swing, he knocked the guard to the floor. The guard managed to somehow fall on Conner's arm.

"Becker!" he cried trying to push the unconscious man off his arm.

"Come on Temple! Hurry up!" Becker snarled as he moved to the door. "Quickly, quickly".

He heard Conner tapping away on the computer. Becker was thinking about Jessi. He didn't like leaving her but he knew she could handle herself and take care of the others. Becker was just worried about her, which he usually did when he cared about someone.

Just then he heard Conner cry out. Becker whirled around. The guard had woken up and had smashed the laptop closed on Temple's hands. Becker hurled himself at the attacker. He struggled with his opponent. The guard managed to throw Becker to the ground and punched him hard. The guy turned back to Conner who whacked with a book.

"I can handle this, Temple!" Becker snarled.

"I can't!" Conner whimpered.

The guard grabbed Conner and began dragging him out from behind the table. Conner desperately tried reaching for the computer. Becker attacked the guard and tried to pull him off Conner.

"I can't reach!"

Becker grabbed the guy and viciously punched him. It seemed to briefly daze him. Some how Temple ended up in front him.

"Punch him!" Becker growled.

Conner punched him in the jaw. It barley did anything, other than hurt Conner. He ducked out of the way so Becker could take him out with two punches. Conner reached the computer and Helen's voice came over the system. They found themselves panting. Becker hurried them back to the room. He was anxious to see if Jessi was ok. Just then a great explosion rocked the building.

<{~*~}>

Jessi's POV

Jessi stood there talking to Abby when a huge explosion shook the building.

"What the fuck?!" she cried.

Just as she said that she saw Becker and Conner at the door.

"Come on", Conner said motioning for them.

"Everyone out of here, Now!" Becker ordered.

Jessi's training kicked in and she took the front let Becker take up the rear. They stepped over rubble and bodies of Helen's men. The group got outside.

"Where's Cutter?" Conner asked.

Jessi and Becker looked at each other before rushing back in. Smoke filled the air and made it hard for them to see. Jessi used her telepathy to find him. Cutter was laying under the twisted wires of his model. She rushed to him.

"Cutter?" she asked coughing.

"We've gotta get out of here, now", Becker said worriedly.

Cutter was beginning to wake up.

"Cutter we gotta get you outa here", she said throwing his arm around her shoulders and helping him up.

By the time they came out of the ARC he was able to walk on his own. The scene was chaotic. People called out for each other and some were couching at the thick smoke that billowed out of the door.

"Alright. Prioritize the casualties", Becker told one of his men.

"Where's Helen?" Cutter asked.

"She must be still inside?" Conner coughed.

Cutter grabbed a flashlight of the belt of one of the men and started heading for the building. Jessi looked at him like he'd lost his mind. Jenny rushed up to him.

"Nick! She wouldn't lift a finger to save you", she said disapprovingly.

"Yea, I know", he sighed.

"Don't go. This is a mistake", she said sternly.

"I'll be fine", he assured her before rushing into the burning building.

"Where in the Hell is he going?" Lester called angrily.

This all seemed too familiar to Jessi...then it hit her. This was remarkably like the time they went through the Permian anomaly after the Predators. Claudia had told him the same thing before kissing him (right in front of Helen, his ex-wife). When they had gotten back Claudia was not only gone, she'd never existed. Claudia had looked exactly like Jenny, and Jenny had turned into Claudia in a way over time.

"Shit!" Jessi snarled under her breath.

"What?" asked Becker worriedly.

"This is deja vu", she answered cryptically.

He gave her a weird look. Jessi sighed and came into his mind to show him the memory.

"Oh!", was his reply.

"Yea! I knew something bad was gonna happen, Goddamn it I knew it!" she snarled angrily.

"Calm down. You beating yourself up won't do anyone any good", Becker said calmly. "Now, are you ok? Are you hurt at all?" he asked checking her over.

"No, I'm fine. How about you?" she asked looking him up and down.

"I'm ok".

Jessi looked over at Conner and Abby. He seemed really anxious and jumpy. At that moment another, smaller explosion went off causing them all to jump.

"He's been in there too long", she saw Conner say.

"Be careful", Abby said back before Conner took off after Cutter.

Jessi sighed.

"Beck I don't like this, at all", she stated.

"None of us do".

"I know but this seems too much like the last time. It's not over yet", she said.

Becker sighed and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. It was a while before Conner appeared carrying something. It was Cutter. Jessi and Becker rushed over and took Cutter, laying him gently on the ground. He wasn't in a good way. His eyes were closed and there was a wound in his chest.

"Get an ambulance! Quick!" Lester yelled.

"It's too late", Conner said sadly.

"What?", Jessi and Abby said at the same time, both close to tears.

"It can't be. Oh God, there was something I was going to tell him", Jenny said in shock.

"We need to get this man this man in an ambulance, NOW!" Lester yelled frustratedly.

Everyone was crying. Conner held on to Abby and Becker was holding on to Jessi. Tears streaked down her face. All of the sudden a scent drifted in on the wind, Helen. A animal snarl rose from her throat. She ripped herself out of his arms and took off.

"Jessi", Becker called after her.

But she was already a hawk and flying over the wall. She saw Helen running away, and dived down at her. Jessi turned human and landed right in front of her.

"You bitch!" she snarled.

"Out of my way, Jessi", Helen said. "I don't wanna hurt you".

"Fuck you Helen!"

Helen smirked. "I had to, ya know".

"I don't wanna here your pansy ass excuses!"

"If you had seen the future you'd understand".

"No I wouldn't understand how you could kill your own husband, who was a great man!"

"The destruction of most of the species on this once beautiful planet started here, at the ARC with the Predators escaping".

"Bull shit! You and I both know that Cutter or Lester would have never sanctioned it".

"I suggest you keep a closer watch on your friends, Jessi. This is the third time now", she said in a sickly sweet voice.

Jessi anger flooded through her. She let loose an furious cry before attacking Helen. She dodged Jessi first swing but she got her good with an upper cut. Jessi laid into Helen. She didn't stand a chance against Jessi and her training. Jessi had half a mind to go animal and tear her to shreds but she wanted to fight Helen on an even field. Helen got a few punches in an Jessi's lip was split and bleeding. Helen on the other hand was bruised and bloody. Jessi was just about to give her one last good hit when something whacked her in the back on the head. Everything went black.

<{~*~}>

Becker's POV

Becker raced to find Jessi. Where did she go? What did she sense? He had to find her before her quick, before her Irish temper got her into trouble. Calling for her, he hurried out of the gates. He saw a figure lying in the grass just before the forest.

"Jessi!" he called in alarm as he ran up her.

He reach her and dropped to his knees. He pulled her up into his lap. She had a slit lip and a small bloody spot on the back of her head like she'd been hit, but at least she was breathing.

"Jessi. Jessi you gotta wake up", he said shaking her.

She groaned and opened her eyes.

"Helen?" she croaked.

"She's gone", he said gently.

Becker saw the weight of all of her emotions crash down on her, each one flashed in her eyes as she broke down and sobbed. He saw her rage, pain and hopelessness.

"Shh. It'll be ok", he comforted her and pulled her against his chest.

She sobbed into his chest and grabbed at shirt. He rocked her back and forth whispering to her. This was the first time he'd ever seen her cry, much less melt down like this. It broke his heart.

"Jessi we have to get back to the others", he said gently whipping away a tear.

She nodded and got up. He pulled her into a hug and just held her for a moment more, kissing her on the top of the head. She rested her head on his shoulder as they walked back, his arm was around her shoulders. When they reached the gate she pulled away slightly.

"I have to be strong for the others", she sighed whipping away the last of her tears.

Becker looked at her. She was the strongest, most beautiful woman he'd ever known. He could see the hurt in her eyes as she pulled herself together for the others. It amazed him how tough this little woman was.

"Do you want me to come over and stay with you tonight?" he asked pulling her to him again. Her head rested on his chest.

"You don't have you. I'll be ok", she said weakly.

Something in her voice told him otherwise.

"I know how close you were to Cutter and how much you hated Helen. You shouldn't be alone after something like this", he said gently.

"Thanks Beck".

"Any time", he said giving her a comforting smile.

She managed to smile weakly back. Jessi turned back to the gate and took a deep breath. She was one tough woman. Becker walked with her back into the yard where an ambulance had just left. Their friends were milling around not sure of what to do. Abby saw Jessi and rushed up and embraced her. Conner followed Abby and came up to Becker.

"How is she?" he asked Becker.

"She's alright, just shook up", he sighed.

"Why did she just suddenly leave like that?"

"I think she went after Helen".

Temple nodded.

"So what now?" Jessi asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to write! I kinda like it only because it turned out well. Becker's always been good at comforting people. I think Jessi had a Becker moment when she pulled herself together like that. Letting Helen get away like that still drives me BONKERS but too many things would've gone screwy if I hadn't. So I'm sorry for that. But it's a good chapter.
So does anyone have anything they want to see happen? I've got a lot of working room to put new stuff in this story if any of you have ideas. I promise I won't steal them, although if it conflicts with something I may modify it a tad.
Big thanks to annamoonstone and A Place For My Head. for their comments!!!!!!! And thanks to my lovely readers.

Ice Cat