The Real Memory

Hedge Talks

Harry pulled on his mask, the one he always used to use when talking with potential suspects, and stared Snape right in the eye.

"Of course she didn't offer me one; it's much too early in the day to be drinking." Harry gave a tight smile, "As for leaving so soon, well, I do have plans for the day and it's not getting any earlier."

Snape's eyes narrowed as he looked Harry up and down. "You? Have plans? Who would've known?"

"Severus…" Lily said quietly from the couch.

Snape looked over at Harry's mother, "Sorry dear, I'm just annoyed at how he spends his days."

"I know sweetheart, that's why we're making a stipulation this time."

Harry turned to look at his mother, "Stipulation?" What stipulation, she hadn't given him a stipulation.

Snape's face transformed in an instant: his anger was gone and replaced by what Harry could only call an evil happiness.

"Yes, stipulation. We've helped you get a job several times over the past decade only to have you never show up or quit after a day or two. That won't be happening this time. I've finally convinced your mother that this can't go on any longer. You'll make this job work or you'll be out on the streets, living on the dole just like every other good-for-nothing."

Harry just stared at Snape. The dole? Living in a shoebox of an apartment with no running water and only a fireplace to cook on? And barely enough money to feed and clothe himself, let alone do anything else? That's how he and his mother had lived before she married Snape and he really didn't want to go back to that.

"Do you understand?" Snape asked, cold excitement dripping from his words.

"I know it seems harsh, dear, but you are thirty-five. It's high time you made something of yourself." Lily said soothingly.

"Yes, I understand. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have things to do to get ready for tomorrow." Harry gave his mother a small smile before turning and brushing past Snape.

Once he was out in the hallway Harry pulled out his phone and texted Jones.

Jones, you're free until tonight.

I will need professional dress in the morning.

I have a new job. Harry

Once that was sent Harry moved purposefully through the house and out a side door into the gardens. He felt tense and stressed out. The thought of having to deal with Malfoy daily or be stuck in a box, almost starving to death, did not help matters in the least. So Harry was heading for the one place he had control of: the shooting range.

Ever since Hagrid had first introduced him to guns he had been passionate about them. When he had a gun in his hand, on the range or in the woods, he had control. No one was controlling him or his destiny, he felt as if he could do anything. In a way it was like having a wand in his hand again. Except all he could do was blast things.

Harry was almost at the indoor shooting range when he heard voices from behind a hedge. Curious as to who was out here he wandered over and looked through the leaves. Once he adjusted and was able to see who it was he smiled, they were a sight for sore eyes.

There, standing by a sparkling fountain, concealed by a weeping willow, were Ginny, Ron, Fred, and George.

"Ginny, please, come with us! I don't know why you stay here." Ron was pleading.

"Ron, you know why I can't leave," Ginny said firmly.

"Our parents can take care of themselves," one of the twins said.

"Yeah, they know the dangers of working here," the other twin said.

Ginny stomped her foot, "No they don't! They don't know that you're part of an organized rebellion! They think you're in Australia!"

"Shhh! Ginny! There are ears everywhere!" Ron looked around furtively as he said this.

"And there are eyes everywhere too! You shouldn't be here. If Snape finds you here he'll have you dangling from the end of a rope even faster than he had James Potter or Sirius Black dangling! He isn't your friend; he won't try and 'plead' for a lighter sentence. Hell, he might just hang you up here in the garden if he thinks his wife won't mind!"

"Tut, tut."

"What would-"

"-mom say-"

"-if she-"

"-heard you-"

"-cursing?"

Ginny fixed a glare on the twins. "She'd bloody well applaud me! I'm not a little girl anymore and you three need a good lecture!"

"We'll let you lecture us if you come with us." Ron said as the twins nodded in agreement.

"No! Now get out of here!" Ginny glanced around a little nervously. "It's noon so the drunkard should be awake by now. He'll be down here at his private play room in a few minutes and I really don't want to get caught by him again."

Harry cringed inwardly at the instance that she was referring too. He'd still been drunk when he'd found her down here. He'd forced a kiss on her before she'd pushed him away and sprinted off for the house. Oh yes, he had a lot of work ahead if he wanted to protect her and get on her good side.

Ron's nostrils flared, "What did he do?"

Ginny shook her head, "Never mind that, you just get out of here. I need to get back to my chores before I'm missed."

Harry watched as Ginny turned and hurried back towards the house, leaving her brothers standing under the willow tree.

"If I ever meet that Potter brat in a dark alley I'll do a number on him." Ron spat out as he watched his sister leave.

"Sounds good, just be sure to call us to come help," the twins said furiously.

"Will do; now let's get out of here."

"Good idea, Hermione's going to skin you alive if she finds out you came back here," one of the twins commented as he adjusted something strapped to his side under his coat.

Ron shuddered, "Please, don't remind me."

Harry watched silently as the three of them silently moved farther away from the house. Questions rolled around in his head. There was a rebellion? Ron, Hermione, and the twins were in it? Hope began to flare inside Harry's chest.

Everything about this felt so familiar. Details about this new world began popping into Harry's head like daisies as he entered the shooting range and began changing into something more practical (he kept a change of clothes there).

Back in 1941 the Nazi's had been storming across the continent, ruled by Hitler, when a coup occurred. At the end of it Hitler lay buried in a shallow grave and Grindelwald had taken over. Under his leadership the Nazi's took over most of the world. England was conquered in 1945 when Grindelwald publicly executed the British leader, Albus Dumbledore.

Grindelwald ruled until 1980, when he suffered a heart attack. When he died he passed on the title of Fuhrer to his second-in-command, Tom Riddle. The new Fuhrer no longer spouted the line "For the greater good," like Grindelwald had. Laws became harsher and conditions worse. Which lead to a small rebellion, during which time his father was accused of being part of it, despite being good friends with the Fuhrer's right hand man.

That had been over thirty years ago now, and during that time there had been not even a hint about a rebellion, but Harry had the feeling that was about to change and he wanted in on it. He was finally about to get another shot at Voldemort, maybe that would end this cycle of world changing. Harry was getting a little tired of that.

Grinning, happy at the thought of staying in a world forever, Harry grabbed his gun and took up a spot on the range.

Slipping on his ear plugs he began firing at the stationary targets. When he wanted a bigger challenge he flipped a switch to make them move in a regular pattern. Eventually even that became too easy, so he flipped another switch. The targets began moving around in faster, more random patterns.

Harry didn't miss a shot.

Pleased with himself and much calmer, Harry turned everything off, laid his gun down, and pulled his earplugs out. As soon as he did so he heard applause.

Surprised, Harry whirled around to find Malfoy leaning casually against the door. As soon as Harry turned Malfoy stopped applauding and put his hands over his head, a look of shock on his face.

"Um…I'm here in peace!" Malfoy got out.

Harry was confused as to what he meant until he realized that his gun was in his hand and he was looking down the sight at Malfoy. Harry turned red and put the gun back down.

"Oh, sorry, I'm not used to anyone being in here with me."

Malfoy smirked as he lowered his hands, "I can see that. Are you always that fast and good with that thing?"

"Yes," Harry said as he unloaded the bullets and went to put them away.

"Then I think you might just do."

"Do?" Harry was confused; he didn't even know why Malfoy was here, he didn't start working until tomorrow after all.

"I'll tell you the truth Potter. When I was informed by my father that I was to show the ropes to Snape's stepson, the son of a traitor, I wasn't too thrilled. But, upon seeing your shooting skills, I don't think I mind so much."

"Why's that?" Harry pulled out his cleaning kit and took a seat at the table with his gun.

"Why, it's because of what you're going to be doing. Didn't anyone tell you?" Malfoy casually took a seat next to Harry.

It took all of Harry's willpower not to hurt Malfoy. Being this close to his recent murderer was sickening.

"No, what am I going to be doing?"

"Why, you're going to be joining the Fuhrer's Guard of course."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long delay. I was moving to South Korea to teach and also had a death in my immediate family.

Hope you had a good summer, updates should be more regular now.