Summertime and Oceanskies

one.

Summer.
The sweet paradise that graces every teenager’s life for three whole months out of the year. And what exactly makes this summer so much better than any of the others thus far? The new lifeguard at the beach, of course.
His name is Nicholas, and he's just moved to my town. Between his interesting hairstyle, his adorable smile, slightly toned chest, and sparkling eyes, you could feel yourself falling. Fast.

Overlooking out into the horizon, my black dress swayed lightly in the wind. I wondered if he ever remembered me. Did he remember my smell, or the clothes I wore, or even the way I smiled when he was around? I know one thing’s for sure. I’ll never forget the days we spent together.

I was watching the sunset waiting for Nicholas to show up. It was going to be our last night together. Bright and early tomorrow morning I have to head back to Colorado and pack up for college.
I was watching the sun about to set and suddenly a pair of big hands covered my eyes. The voice said, “Guess who?”
I pretended no to know who it was, “Jonathan? I thought you were gone!” I shouted in mock surprise. The hands were not on my eyes anymore and I turned around and looked into his chocolate brown irises.
I smiled and laughed out a little recalling the memory. I took my fingers and raked them through my hair. I thought of another memory. It was one of the last few times we’d say each other.
“Say cheese!”
I rolled my eyes playful. I chuckled slightly and shuffled my feet looking down slightly. “I don’t want to take a cheesy picture!” I said pouting slightly. “Be yourself!” Nicholas said smiling lightly.
After a few poses I walked out into the water and grabbed a hand full of water and splashed around a bit.
It seemed like the setting was perfect the sun was setting and the horizon was beautiful. Pink, red, purple, orange, and blue splashed the horizon.
I heard a couple of clicks and turned toward him. He looked up from his camera and smiled with his teeth on full show. “You look beautiful.”
Blushing I smiled and nodded appreciated at his words.


My eyes watered slightly at the memory. I remember that day like it was yesterday. The sun was minutes close to setting. I was getting lost into the patterns out of bounds.

I stretched my wet legs out into the cold sand and looked up into the starry night. I sounded a deep sigh and asked lightly, “Where do you think we will end up after the summer ends?”
Nicholas reached over gently and grabbed my head silently and laid it against his chest. He whispered quietly, but loud enough for me to hear, “I don’t know.”
My heart broke slightly as I thought about the future. It was only the summer and I return home in Colorado soon. Where could we end up?
“Karmen.” There was a pregnant pause before he continued. “I think I may have fallen for you.”
The wind knocked out my throat my palms slightly sweated; I gasped slightly. Moments, went into minutes, and silence still. The wind blew a little before I responded back.
“I’ve already fallen.”
He hugged me tighter into his chest and we watched the stars for hours on.


The sun sets, immediately after I start to walk down the shore. My thoughts wander on.
You know it’s been three years since that summer we spent together. I’m 22 years old now. I still think about what would have happened if I stayed those years ago. Maybe he wouldn’t have went down the path he chose or maybe he wouldn’t have died a week ago from today. If I were still here to keep him on track maybe he wouldn’t have join the gangs and made so many enemies. He’d still be alive this day. That’s all I can think about these days; maybe if.

Summer.
It’s full of the sweet memories that last a lifetime.
This will definitely be a summer that I'll always remember.
It was my first summer with Nicholas.
♠ ♠ ♠
entry for this contest.