Just a Game

Chapter 1

Image
It all began when I was 5 years old, it was the first time I could actually play t-ball. I knew this and I had been anticipating it for as long as I could remember. Why? My older brother, Danny, had played t-ball and already moved up. He was three years older than Sean, my twin, and I and Danny was a natural baseball player. It was going to be a family thing, my parents obviously loved it and as far as they could tell so did my brother and I.

I remember the day my mom came home from the sign ups and told my dad that Sean would be playing, but that I couldn't because they didn't have anything for girls until the age 7. Apparently I was too little for coach pitch and I cried, I cried like no child has ever cried before. So my dad made the call and argued to get me onto a t-ball team with my brother and of course it worked. What little league was going to turn down the money for another player. So thus I was the only little girl in little league.

As far as little league went at this age you could barely tell who would be good, but there were those few that shined. You could however see who would be bad, those who missed the t, the ball is sitting right there, no movement, I could never understand how someone misses that. Unfortunately my brother almost always missed it, poor Sean. And if there was anyone as good as Sean was bad it was Chase Cole. He wasn't on my team, but he was the kid who inspired me to become a better player. I remember it perfectly, we had just played them and I wanted to tell him good job, I was a nice kid. I ran up to this seemingly approachable little boy, not much taller than me with dirty blonde hair. "You're really good," I said as a tapped his shoulder.

He turned around scowled and said, "girls shouldn't play baseball." And then he pushed me over. At that moment I decided I was going to practice real hard so that I would be better than him. I never wanted another boy telling me I didn't belong.

The next year after I ended up on his team and my angst only grew stronger. We would spend practices throwing the ball at each other, not playing catch, we were violent six-year-olds who were actually trying to hurt each other.

After that year I went into softball, in sports we were separated, but we remained enemies and continued to compete with each other. They say a little healthy competition is good, but we, we were not healthy.

"Keaton, Keaton Durou," Michelle said waving her hand in front of my face bringing me back to reality. I know odd name, I've looked it up, it's a boys name. Keaton (key-tun)

"What," I said pushing her hand away.

"You're in the hole," she said pointing to the line up on the fence.

"Shit," I said my eyes getting big, "I don't even know where my helmet is." I went through the whole dug out looking for what it was I needed. It was like our second home game of the season and we were down by one. Luckily Abby just got on base. I went outside the dugout to take my practice swings and time the pitcher.

"Don't mess up Keaton," I heard from someone in the crowd. I looked over and scowled at Chase, yes we go to school together, have been for thirteen years.

I looked over at the dugout and said, "who invited the baseball team." Kelly rose her hand and gave a guilty smile. I pointed at her, "next time don't." I turned back in time to see Kelsey get on with a bunt. I was surprised, usually she isn't fast enough to run it out, but third base was back I guess. With Abby at second a base hit ties the game.

I walked over to the plate, looked at my coach who gave me the sign to hit away. I tapped my helmet and moved up to the front of the box. No I'm not bunting, I just like to be in the front. I took a deep breath and then gripped my bat as she pitched the first pitch. Inside strike, shit. Those are my weakness.

"Alright," my coach clapped his hands, "lets go Keaton open up your zone a bit." I rolled my eyes and nodded.

I stepped back into the box and let the next pitch go, rise ball. Next one outside and then I fouled the next one off. I took a breath looking at the other teams coach as he gave the sign and then at the pitcher, she adjusted her grip. Change up. I waited and I was right when it soared to where I was I swung as hard as I could on it, and when I felt contact I ran.

The first base coach was sending me to two and then I ran to three and watched as Kelsey slid into home and was nearly out. Game over thank you Kelsey for sliding. "Kelsey I love you," I ran over and practically jumped on her.

Ivy ripped me off Kelsey and hugged me, "Keaton you are amazing."

"Celebrate later ladies," our coach said because we had to go high five the other team. I did want to beat them, this doesn't matter to anyone else because it's not league yet, but I have a bet going. We just need to win a higher percentage of our games than the boys do, if we don't I have to shave off an eyebrow. Dumb bet I know. So we talked as a team and then I had to talk to the newspaper, the city one don't get excited, it was a beginning of the season article for all the teams in the city.

"What were you thinking when you came up to bat," the newspaper guy said.

"I was thinking, if i get a base hit Abby scores," I said.

"Now you also pitched the whole game, this is tough team and you kept them down to only three runs, how did you do that," he asked.

"I just pitched, like I do every game and trusted my defense to back me up and they did, not to mention my fantastic catcher who hardly lets anything get past her," I said. A lesson I learned at twelve, never take full credit for a win or else you look like an asshole. Thank you Erin for teaching me that lesson, she was my other little league rival, okay still a bit of a rival.

"Thank you for your time," he said.

"No problem," I said. Then I ran over to the vans we were going to drop the equipment off at school and then we were going to get some food and then go to the boys game.

"Hurry up," Michelle said as the van started up and I ran over and hopped in next to her, "I know you wouldn't miss paying Cole back with some torment." I love how she totally gets me.