Just a Game

Chapter 13

I know it was completely random and unexpected, but I'm doing my absolute best to forget it ever happened. Every time I think of yesterday in my head I play the alternate ending, you know the one from the director's cut. Me being the director. And the alternate ending being an argument that I walk away from like I'm cool. Yes, that is exactly what happened and anyone who says other is lying.

Michelle, though, had an idea other than forgetting. Her idea was let's tell our whole table and that didn't really sound good, but I knew it was my inevitable fate. All my closest friends would know about my misfortunate experience. "I haven't seen you guys all day," Jackie said sitting across from Michelle and I. She was obviously talking to the two of us, "so how was the feild trip yesterday."

Michelle smiled a devious smile and she looked at me through the corner of her eye, she was waiting for this. "It was fun," she shrugged, "but you might want to ask Keaton what happened."

Jackie looked over in interest, no one else was really interested yet. I looked at her with my eyebrow raised, "what are you expecting, nothing happened." I looked down taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Come on Keaton," Michelle said innocently, "Jackie has a right to know."

"Yeah," Jackie said nodding her head, "you know I'm going to find out eventually I always do."

"Yeah, because Michelle always tells you when I refuse to," I said shaking my head and Michelle gave a guilty smile.

"Yeah so just tell me," she said. I shook my head and took another bite and then Jackie turned to Michelle and gave her an expectant look. This was hopeless.

Michelle smiled and leaned forward to tell Michelle, "well the cross training class came along and let's just say her and Chase had a moment." Now why did she have to say it like that, it sounds just so weird.

"What," Jackie said leaning in and the rest of the table joined. Now everyone was interested and Jackie continued to pester Michelle, "tell me what happened."

"They kissed," Michelle said leaning back. Jackie's eyes popped out and she just looked at me and there was shock with everyone, understandable since no one would have seen this coming.

Brian poked his head into view, "I thought you hated him."

"Yeah usually you two argue," Kyla said.

"I do hate him and we were arguing," I said defensively. I was so busy being defensive that I didn't even notice Brian was there and I was still mad at him. Oh well. Jackie glared at me as if she thought something was left out. "It was an attack on me, I was a victim and nothing else happened," I said.

"Did you like it was it any good," she said.

"No," I said quickly responding, I felt absolutely nothing, "can we please just change the topic.

"Sure," Michelle said turning to everyone, "can you guys believe that Jake hasn't asked me to prom yet." I rolled my eyes as we drifted into a prom conversation. It was still like over two weeks away, he was probaby waiting till the perfect time, I mean it was going to be public and big. They were a well known couple in the class. I wouldn't make a huge deal about it if I were Michelle.

Not only had I really been avoiding the subject, but as you would probably imagine I was aso avoiding the person. That is a bonus because I never really care to see him, but once again Engish you can't avoid it. I walked into class and immediatly put my head down, clear indication that I don't want to talk, right.

He tapped me on the shoulder, "Keaton."

"What do you want," I said kind of irritated.

"I wanted to appologize for yesterday," he said kind of nervously.

"It's no big deal, I men we argue all the time, I don't take offense to it," I said shrugging as if that was all that had happened yesterday.

He gave me a bewildered look, "no I mean, you know, umm." Really you didn't take the hint that I wasn't in the mood to talk about it. I had to stop him befor he actually said what had happened out loud.

"Oh that," I siad, "that never happened." He looked at me unsure and I repeated, "never happened." He nodded slowly, still confused, but what's new. I put my head back down and took a nice nap till the end of the day.

I'll fast forward to the Monday of prom week, yes this is the big date. I'll tell you exactly how he did it. Lucky for me I'm in Michelle's first period, we had physics. Our teacher, my favorite teacher, always shows us an inspirational video or slide show to start off our week, he says it makes Mondays not so bad. It's true and its first period so it's even better. So it was a regular slide show like any other and then the last slide said prom and in walks Jake with flowers and a huge grin. She said yes of course and all the girls went aww.

I rolled my eyes, not that I'm not happy for her or because I'm bitter. It's just that everyone seems to be pairing up and what girl really imagines going to her prom alone. Okay I'm a little bitter, I don't want to go alone. I got so desperate.

When I got home that night and Sean was in the living room playing some game I walked over to the couch and sat down. "So," I started, "I was thinking that if worse comes to worst and neither of us have dates for prom we ca go together."

Yes I got so desperate that I just asked my twin brother to prom. He slowly turned his head to me kind of surprised, "I'm surprised no one's asked you yet."

"Well I'm not exactly in high demand here, I'm not like Amber" I said whining. Amber was the captain of the cheer team, so naturally she was in high demand.

"Not what I meant," he said scowling, "what I meant was I'm surprised Brian hasn't asked you yet." Oh that, I may have never mentioned it, but Brian had an insane crush on me, to the point that it was a tad bit creepy.

"He did," I said avoiding eye contact.

"Keaton, you said no," he said giving me a disappointed look.

"Come on Sean, I don't want to go with Brian," I said defensively, "I mean for one he's a weirdo and for two I'm still mad at him."

"You won't give up a stupid grudge for one night," he said raising his eyebrow, "but you are willing to take your brother to prom."

"You are my back up," I said.

"Why, too scared to walk in alone," he said.

"No I'm perfectly fine walking in alone," I said crossing my arm and rolling my eyes. I was fine, I just wanted a date and I really didn't want it to be Sean. I actually wanted to be surprised and asked, doesn't anyone. I guess I turned down that option. But it's Brian, come on.

"Good," he said looking back at his game, "because I already have a date."

"You have a date," I jumped up, "you asked someone, how did I not know, and to think I completely thought you were gay." I smirked, I tease him about the gay thing all the time, I know he's not, but he gets red.

"I asked Kyla," he said smiling.

"Oh you guys are so cute, you both like art," I said smiling, "you are like a match made in heaven, this is awesome, when did you ask, how, how did I not know."

"I asked today after school," he said, "you already left for practice."

"How," I said begging, "tell me how."

"I drew a flip book for animation and asked her to look at it," he said and I was confused, "the flip book was of me lifting up a sign that said prom."

"Aww that's so cute, in an artsy type of way," I said and then went upstairs. I'm starting to think I should take my first offer, I told Brian I'd consider it, but that was a tentative no. He could get lucky.