Just a Game

Chapter 14

The next day I was actually really excited, I had pretty much forgotten about my prom dilemma. Michelle and I had crunched some numbers last night over the phone and came to an awesome conclusion. My big bet with Chase was won. Even if baseball won the rest of their games and we lost the rest of ours I would still have a higher winning percentage. Keeping both of my eyebrows was enough to keep me going through the day.

I skipped over to Chase's locker during break and he just looked at me like I was crazy, "what are you smiling about."

"I won," I said and he looked at me, "you have to wax your leg, you lost."

"The season isn't even over yet, we have two more games and you still have another game" he said.

"Even if you win those two and we lose ours we still beat you in our winning percentage," I said and he shook his head not believing it. "You don't believe me," I said and then began digging through my backpack for a folded piece of paper, "you can check the math." I walked away super triumphantly that was the stupidest bet I have ever made imagine not having an eyebrow. I'm already unattractive enough and trust me, I'm pretty sure that's not a conversation starter.

I was satisfied enough, I could be happy the rest of the day. Not to mention it being senior year we are barley doing anything in class anymore. Movies in almost every class, as far as most teachers are concerned we are completely done. Only Mr. Lopez would make us actually do work, my government teacher. He was extremely old and he always wanted us to discuss our opinions in groups. It was so close to prom that we couldn't concentrate at all.

"So how did you ask Megan," Janel said to Aaron. Aaron was a really nice guy who had a crazy crush on Jackie last year and when she turned him down he started dating Megan. She's a junior but they were still really cute.

"I asked her over spring break when we were at Disney land," he said. Janel leaned in as if asking for more details, "I held up a sign that said prom in space mountain and that way it showed up in the picture."

"That's so cute," her and Ericka sang at the same time and I half rolled my eyes. I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't like prom talk, but as I said nothing can ruin my mood.

"How about you," Janel looked at Ericka.

She sighed, "oh I'm just going with a friend from another school." Janel smiled and shrugged and then turned to me, but before she could ask Ericka asked, "how about you Janel."

"Well I have a tentative date that I know will go with me, but I really kind of want someone in the class to ask me," she said looking off.

"OMG who," Ericka said leaning in and Janel shook her head, "can I at least guess."

"Well the thing is" she started, "I never really talk to him so you wouldn't really be able to guess. I think he'll look good in the picture with me and he's really cute."

"Just tell us," Ericka begged and Janel shook her head once more.

"You have to now," I said, "I mean you can't just bring it up and not tell us."

"Okay fine," she said, "but you can't tell anyone, not even my really close friends know this yet." We nodded our heads and she continued, "alright, I really kind of want Chase to ask me, I told Jake to drop some hints and he said he would, but he also said he thinks Chase already has someone in mind."

"I heard he's actually already turned down some people," Ericka said.

"Yeah he turned down April and that's why I didn't want to tell my friends," she said, "apparently a lot of girls are waiting to see who he asks." That kind of surprises me, don't ask why. I wish he would ask Janel, she's really nice, but chances are it will be Chelsea gross, right.

"Why don't you ask him," Aaron asked.

"I don't really want to get rejected," she said shyly, "and besides I kind of want to be asked, I don't want to be like hey can you ask me to prom, that sounds retarded." We all laughed for a sec at what she said and then she looked at me, "Keaton?"

"I'm probably going alone," I shrugged. I'm sort of coming to terms with this reality.

"Why,"Janel said.

"I mean I could look for a date, ask a friend or something, but I don't really feel like putting in the effort," I said. "Besides I feel like I'd have more fun on my own than standing awkwardly with some guy I probably don't even like."

"That's cool" Janel shrugged and then Mr. Lopez yelled at us for not staying on task. Especially me, because when everyone tried to argue they were working he noticed the doodles I had been doing the entire time. Oh well what can you do, right.

After practice we were forced to go to the baseball game, it was their last home game and they wanted a big turnout. "I don't get why we always go to their games," Kelsey said, "I mean they never go to our games."

"That's because Keaton told me to stop inviting them," Kelly said shooting me a stern look.

I made a face at her and said, "they've been to enough gmes, besides we're only here because we have no other choice, so suck it up."

"Why are you so angry," Michelle said.

"I'm not angry, I'm just thinking," I said.

She nodded, "so what's on your mind."

"This is going to sound bizarre," I said thinking bout how to phrase it, "but I'm trying to think of a way to convince Chase to ask Janel to prom."

"That is so random," she shook her head, "why?"

"Janel is nice and imagine Chelsea's face," I said smiling devilishly. Why am I taking an interest, why do I care, because I like helping people along with causing problems. I didn't really like Chelsea and it was pretty obvious.

"Whatever," she said. I was semi paying attention to the game, but mostly formulating a plan in my head. I couldn't really talk her up, or could I. She was there. When they went in to hit bottom of the fifth I got up and started to make my way over to the fence. "What are you doing," Michelle said and I put my hand up waving her off.

He was on deck, yes I know it was planned hat's why the timing is so perfect. Whie the infield was warming up I leaned on the fence. He rose his eyebrow at me questioningly, "what do you want Durou?"

"Nothing Cole," I said, "I was just coming over to point out how awesome Janel looks tonight." He looked at me and I nodded in her direction.

"Yeah," he said shrugging, "I guess she looks nice."

"And, I'm pretty sure she likes you," I said and then acted as it just hit me, "oh my God idea, you should ask her to prom."

"What are you, her wing man," he said laughing a bit.

"Kind of," I said thinking about it, "but seriously she wants you to ask her to prom and she doesn't know I'm telling you so don't tell her."

"I'm..." he started.

"Cole pay attention to the game," his coach interupted. Chase nodded and glared at me and I just smiled and walked back.

"You really think he's going to listen to you," Michelle said very skeptically. Yeah I know it's probably not going to work. "I dont see why ypu don't just make a bet like you usually do when you want something."

"Because I could lose the bet," I said. I had to admit though that was a pretty good idea. She shhok her head and went back to watching the game. We knew the other team, they were like our cross town rivals. I was pretty confident in the bet I was going to make. I walked over on a foul, "I have an idea." He looked interested so I continued, "if they score this inning you take Janel to prom."

"And if they don't," he said.

"Oh they will," I said. I was pretty confident because their best hitter was up to bat and there was a runner on third with no outs.

"Alright," he said with a smirk, I'd like to see him get this.

I walked back to Michelle smiling a devilish smile and she shook her head. I just sat back and waited. This guy hasn't gotten out all game, a single scores, and he failed me, but it's okay I still had two batters. And if that wasn't bad enough Chase threw out the guy at third and the next idiot hit n easy pop up to center. That would have brought the guy at third in if he hadn't gotten picked off, idiot.

"Unbelievable," I said jaw dropped and Michelle kind of laughed. Maybe he didn't need the bet, maybe he would ask her anyways, who am I kidding. On top of that I lost another bet.

After the game he walked over grinning a triumphant grin and kept tossing a ball up with his right hand. I crossed my arms and he said, "looks like I won this one."

"No need to rub it in," I crossed my arms.

"Good news though," he smiled a seemingly harmless smile, "I figured ut the terms for my win." I rose my eyebrow and he tossed me the baseball that he kept tossing up.

"What," I held it up confused.

"Take a good look at it," he said.

I turned the ball to find those dredded words written across it. PROM. My eyes got wide, no that's just not fair at all. "You're kidding right," I choked out.