Just a Game

Chapter 15

"You're kidding right," I choked out, my eyes never leaving the ball. PROM. That is not fair terms, though I guess he was gambling his prom date so why didn't I think about gambling mine. Oh Lord.

"Nope," he smirked an evil smirk.

"No," I said looking up at him, "if this is your way of asking my answer is no, and if this is a joke, it's not funny." I was mad, did he really think I would agree to this. It's supposed to be one of the greatest nights of my life, why would I want to spend it with him.

"I'm not asking," he said.

"Chase, you can't just force someone to go to prom with you, ," I yelled at him.

He looked at me with that same annoying smirk "this is my term for our bet, so what color are we wearing. I know you girls like that matching thing."

My jaw was dropped and I stepped back a bit, "can you just give me a second to think." I put my hand on my forehead and started walking slowly away.

"What happened" Michelle said as she passed by me. I couldn't say it, I couldn't, I just tossed her the stupid baseball and walked past her. I looked back for a second and her eyes were wide looking back and forth between him and I. Everyone around was whispering, yes this was an immense shock and school runs on gossip. Was I going to do this, no, it was now that my slow walk turned into a full on sprint. Yes that is the way to do it, run away from your problems.

I ran all the way home and into my room, briefly my mom came in and asked what was wrong, but I said nothing. She wouldn't understand, mom I'm upset that I have a date for prom. I'd sound crazy. So I sat on my bed and ate cheetos, the most comforting of all chips and the most addicting. My phone rang and after checking the caller Id I picked up. "Hey Michelle," I said kind of complacently.

"Okay, you need to put down the cheetos and tell me what happened," she said quickly.

I looked at the bag of cheetos and then to where Michelle was, figuratively of course because she was on the phone, and said, "how'd you know I was eating cheetos?"

"I know you," she said, "now tell me."

"Um I think it's self explanatory, I showed you the ball," I said.

"Yeah Jake told me he knew about it, sorry I wish he would have told me so you'd have some warning," she rambled out and continued, "it's odd, who would have ever thought Chase would have asked you, so what did you say."

"Yeah right he asked," I said rolling my eyes, "he made it terms for the bet, that he won." I thought for a second, "that you told me to make," I thought a bit more, "so technically this is all your fault."

"It is not my fault, you were meddling," she said, "that's what you get for getting involved in Janel's business."

I made and angry face and without even thinking grabbed another hand full of cheetos and stuffed them in my mouth. I looked at the bag and yelled into the phone, "why am I still eating these."

"Because they're addicting," Michelle said.

"That they are," I grabbed a few more.

"So what are you going to do," Michelle said.

"Not go," I said, "I refuse to stand with him."

"Oh come on," she said, "you're getting a free ticket out of it, and besides I always did think you two would look good together."

"Eww," I said. Why did everyone talk about looking good together in a picture, was that all prom was.

"Well, whatever you do I'm cool with it," Michele said, "bye, love you." I went down stairs to put the cheetos away and decided while I was there I might as well have dinner with my family. I don't talk about them much, but we like to sit down and eat together.

"Oh good," my mom said as I sat down, "is there anything you want to talk about honey." I shrugged my shoulders and dug into the mashed potatoes on my plate.

"Are you sure," Sean said grinning. I looked up and raised my eyebrow, what game is he playing.

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes.

"Oh really," he said, "because I heard a rumor and I think the whole family would like to know who you are going to prom with." My eyes lit up, jack ass. I can't believe it got around that fast, I mean Sean wasn't really on the in crowd, though he was in my social circle.

"Honey you have a date or prom," my mom said beaming. My dad kind of just looked at me intrigued.

"Don't act so excited," I said sneering over towards Sean, "the rumors aren't true."

"Oh so Chase Cole didn't ask you to prom after his game," he said showing me a text from Kyla.

I looked at him and said, "define the word ask." He gave me a look and I gave in, "fine I guess you could say he asked, but I didn't say yes."

"Why not," my mom said not understanding.

"Oh I don't know," I said sarcastically and then continued, "maybe because he is my arch nemesis." My mom rolled her eyes we never saw eye to eye, as far as she was concerned Sean was more lady like than I was.

"He's a good kid," Danny chimed in and my face went down. Not even my older brother whom I look up to could agree with me on this one. "Come on Keaton," he said, "I know you two never really got along, but he's not a bad guy and he's a hell of a ball player."

"Yeah well being good at a sport doesn't make you a good person," I said sticking my tongue out. The doorbell rang and Sean volunteered to answer it.

"So what are you going to do then," Danny asked.

"Say no, I've done it before," I said angrily and began yelling, "actually I think it would be better off if I just avoided him, didn't talk to him."

"That might be hard," Sean said from the othe room.

"Why," I yelled.

"Because he's at the door," he said.

"Are you kidding me," I said in more hushed a tone, but I reluctantly got up and made my way toward the door. My mom whispered for me to be nice, that probably wasn't going to happen. I pushed Chase out the door and followed behind him shutting the door for privacy. Outside my house was more private than inside, trust me. I propped myself up against the door, crossed my arms and said, "what do you want now."

"I'm sorry" he started, "I know it's wrong to just make you go to prom with me."

"That's for sure," I said angrily.

"So I'm here to ask you," he said looking at me as if waiting for my answer.

"Really," I said trying to keep as calm as possible, "you are really asking me, let's think what do you think I'm going to say." I was going all sarcastic, I was either anger or sarcasm with him.

"Wait, before you answer just hear me out," he said holding up his hands defensively, "it would just be as friends and lets face it we were going to be sitting at the same table anyway." This was true, I put my head uo as if thinking about the proposition. "Neither of us have actual dates anyways."

"And my ticket," I questioned.

"Paid for" he said. Wow, I basically had him wrapped around my finger, this was like a plea bargain and I would give in. Why, not sure, I guess it's just that I really kind of did want a date for prom.

"Alright" I said, "I guess we have a deal." I was reluctant, but put my hand out and we shook on it just like we would if it were a bet.