Just a Game

Chapter 19

"Wait," he said and I turned around crossing my arms over my chest what now, "can you please explain to me how this is my fault, I helped you, do you even want to think what might have happened if I wasn't there."

"News flash Chase," I said, "I never asked for your help, I don't need your help, so you can stop trying to help me and go help one of the thousands of girls here who want your help."

"Are you seriously mad," he said looking at me in disbelief and I nodded, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but you know I thought maybe you'd listen to your friends when they said he was bad news. And I'm sorry I helped you next time I'll just kick back and let some asshole rape you, would you like that Keaton."

"I wouldn't have even remembered, and I'm not against abortion," I said, "how's that for an answer." I waved my hands as if saying bye and I saw Jake and Michelle standing off to the side watching. Michelle gave me a look of disbelief, so I don't make much sense with a drink in hand, truth be told I don't really make much sense completely sober either. I was about to turn and walk away.

"Well, I couldn't let that happen, I wouldn't even want to imagine that happening to you," he said. What did he just say, did he just say that? My eyes were wide at what just came out of his mouth. I turned to the side and pushed back my hair trying to calm down for a second.

I looked back at him and calmly said, "yeah, I think I'm going to go now." I turned quickly and sprinted for it. My heart was racing a bit. I found and empty room and just laid on the bed and thought about it. What just happened, he said something that made me rationally walk away from a fight, or run away. Usually I stay and yell, I am not the bigger person. What did he say? I'm so lost. Eventually there was knocking on the door, which I had locked, "occupied," I yelled.

"Keaton, please open up," Michelle said, "it's me and Jackie."

"I don't want to talk," I yelled.

"We need to, it's kind of important," Jackie said.

"Fine," I got up and unlocked it, let them in and then locked it again. "I'm kind of confused right now, so can we please avoid any topics that start with the letter C," I said letting myself fall back down on the bed.

"Alright," Jackie said, "how about we talk about what just happened."

"Oh, I am sorry," I said, "we are out of time, next topic."

"Keaton, you have to talk about it some time," Michelle said, "and I think right now would be the best time."

"Really, cuz I kinda just lived it," i said sitting up, "isn't that punishment enough."

Chase's POV:

Michelle and Jackie ran after her and I believe there had been a crowd of people. Did really just say that, why did i just say that? I looked up and let out a sigh and then turned my head to Jake, "i think I need another drink."

"I so knew you liked her," Jake smiled and continued, "first you kissed and then you made some bs reason to take her to prom, dude, you could have told me."

"Shut up," I said lightly pushing him into the pool. Didn't think he'd fall, but I just walked over to get myself a drink.

"I think you two would be really cute," someone said and I looked to my side and it was Mia. "I've thought that for a long time, but you guys are always like I hate you and no one ever thought it would happen, but who's right, I a..."

"Mia please," I said irritated, "she still hates me."

"Aww give her some time," she said, "I know it's hard to like someone wh..."

"Problem is I never thought the person I like would be her," I said, "I still don't really believe it."

"Ah, denial," she practically sand and walked away. Thank God. Finally some peace and quiet.

Keaton's POV:

"I am done talking," I said, "it was a slip of the tongue, he didn't mean it, he doesn't like me and I don't like him. So stop trying to convince me of something that just isn't."

"Bu..." they both started.

"No," I said, "I'm going to take a walk."

"It's almost three in the morning," Michelle said.

"Let me take my walk," I said and started picking up speed and volume as I went on, "I think when I walk I need to walk, please just let me take a walk and do not follow me." I ran out and down the stairs and out the door. Fresh air helps clear the mind, it probably doesn't help that I've had a few drinks, but even fully rational I would walk. I was like chanting in my head the I hate song, just things I hate and every time I drew a blank I put his name there. "He doesn't like me," I said out loud to myself as I came to a park and went to sit on the swings. I smiled to myself, "it kind of sounded like he did." I shook my head vigorously, "why are you smiling idiot, he doesn't like you and you don't like him and now I am crazy because I am talking to myself." Great.

I let my feet dangle and just closed my eyes as a swung back and forth, I used to swing for hours when I was a kid. I also used to obnoxiously sing while I was on the swing. I decided for the sake of anything that might be able to here me that I wouldn't. After I don't even know how long on the swings, I decided to hop off. "She sticks it perfect landing and perfect tens across the board," I bowed and started my walk back to the party.

"Don't you feel better," I said to myself as I decided I would walk in the middle of the street. A little danger feels good and the roads are like completely empty. "I really need to stop talking to myself," I said and started humming the rest of the way. I didn't even hear the car that was coming towards me. Just my luck someone pulled me out of the street and I looked at the face and said, "usually only cute guys save you in the movies."Wow I just said that out loud.

"Are you crazy," the random dude walking around in the middle of the night said.

I nodded, "yeah, I seriously think I am, I've been talking to myself all night. That tears it." I walked out of his grip which I didn't know I was in and then started walking back, "I think I'm crazy and now he thinks I'm crazy, I must be insane."

"Are you okay," he said catching up to me.

"No," I said, "other than being insane, I really haven't been having the best night."

"Really, what happened," he asked.

"You probably don't want to hear," I said shaking my head, "besides weren't you going that way." I pointed the opposite direction.

"Yeah, but I should start heading home too," he smiled, "besides it's not every night I run into a pretty girl in the middle of the street." I smiled at him and then he continued, "so what happened

I pushed my hair back and laughed, "well you see I really really hate this guy, since I was like six and all these years I've thought our hate was mutual. But he said a few things that totally confused everyone and now my best friends are trying to convince me that not only does my enemy like me, but that I like him too."

"Oh okay," he said, "that's interesting."

"Yeah and now I'm all confused," I said, "I've never thought of him like that, but now that I am my brain is like fried."

"So you like him," he said.

"No," I said, "no, no, no, I did not say that, I do not like him, well I really really don't want to like him." I could hear the noise of the party still in full swing, we were getting close.

"It sounds to me like you like him," he smiled at me.

"Well, thanks a lot," I said sarcastically, "you have been tones of help," I paused not knowing his name.

"Brandon," he said, "I live a few houses down."

"Oh yeah, I'm Keaton and this is me," I pointed to the house, "well it's not my house, but it's where I'm spending the night." he nodded and I continued, "thanks for listening and you know saving me from that car."

"No problem," he smiled, "I hope I see you again and if it's any help I really really hope you don't like this guy either." He walked away and I smiled, that was a nice little surprise and with that I walked back up the stairs to the huge house.