Just a Game

Chapter 2

The baseball team was good, just as good as we were and therefore I was in no place to go along with that bet. But I couldn't resist. Anyways it was freezing at their game, it was late and I had homework. I just wanted it to end. We were obligated to watch some of their games, just as they were obligated to watch some of ours. It was the last inning, if the other team didn't score the game would end, but there was one out, a runner on third and Jake just walked someone to first.

"I'm tired," Michelle whined, "can't this game just end." Michelle and I completely understood each other. It was funny because she should have been more supportive since her boyfriend is our pitcher. I just laughed at her as she let her head fall forewards in exhaustion causing her tight bun to stick straight up in the air. "I have an idea," her head went up fast, "how about you go tell Chase to pick off the guy at first."

"What, why don't you tell your boyfriend to," I said shocked.

"Because he won't listen to me," she said.

"Okay Michelle," I started, "there are two flaws in your plan, one, it involves me talking to the devil and two what makes you think he's going to listen to me."

The batter hit a deep foul ball to left feild and Michelle pushed me foreward, "now's your chance do it."

"Fine," I stuck my tongue out and walked over to where Chase was grabbing his helmet. He's catcher, he threw it off when the foul was hit.

"What do you want ," he said as he picked up his helmet.

"I've got a proposition," I said and he looked up with interest in the topic, "I bet you can't pick off the guy at first."

"Are you crazy," he said leaning on the fence to where I was, "Keaton, I'm not stupid, if I throw it that guy scores and we lose."

"Scared," I said raising my eyebrow.

"No," he said, "just give me the terms."

"We'll decide later," I said walking back over to my seat. He put his mask on and called for a time out, no doubt to explain the plan, but the other team probably assumed it was to cool Jake down.

"The deed is done," I said, "lets see if he follows through."

"I hope so," she said. I don't blame her we had school tomorrow. The pitch, I'm pretty sure it was an outside curve ball and the batter swung. Chase quickly threw it to first with out even getting up. That nearly stopped the runner on first in his tracks making him an easy target and the runner at third hesitated big time before he ran. So another easy target and everyone cheered at the awesome double play.

He pointed at me triumphantly and I shook my head, "I soo did that and now he gets all the credit."

"Oh relax," Michelle said, "at least we get to go home now."

"Yeah, but now I owe him something, he just won my bet," I said.

"He'll forget about," she said. No she was wrong, he never forgets, especially when he wins and I lose. We were getting all the girls together to drive back to school and Michelle tappped me on the shoulder, "someone's glaring at you."

I looked over and laughed at Chelsea and then yelled over at her, "hey chels, stop glaring at me it's cutting into your stare at Chase time." Michelle elbowed me and Chelsea just turned towards her friends no doubt to gossip about me. "What, you know it's true," I said as we hopped into the van.

"Why make her hate us more than she already does," Michelle said.

"I don't care," I said. Who wants to be friends with the fakest person in the school, not even her actual friends like her. You wanna know why? Because she's fake. You can tell she's not really blonde and if that wasn't obvious her orange skin gives you the hint.

"Of course you don't," Michelle said shaking her head.

School the next day, it's always the same. I come late, physics, ceramics, calc, period 4 and then lunch.

Lunch the best part about school, I sit with Michelle no doubt. Kyla, Jacky, Sean, Alec, Cal and on occassion Brian sits with us. The occassions he doesn't, like now, are because he pissed me off so I banished him to another table. Kyla is very artsy and so is Sean actually he gave up baseball soon after he started, my brother was not meant for it. Cal and Alec, well they just like to be annoying and their funny. Jacky, I love Jacky because she's like Michelle and I, she's on that same wavelength.

"Where's Brian," Kyla said looking up from her pastel drawing.

I took a bite of my pizza and said, "I told him to sit somewhere else."

"Why," Michelle said.

"Don't you remember," I said, "he called me heartless yesterday and for no good reason, it was uncalled for. Me heartless." I let out a laugh.

"It's true," someone said behind me.

"Chase you are not welcome here," I said.

"Keaton," he said pretending to be hurt and then quickly recovering, "in case you forgot, I won our little bet yesterday and I was wondering what I get." His face was dangerously close to mine.

I turned around and grabbed an oreo, "here take an oreo." I shoved it into his face and looked at everyone else, "I'm going to get water."

"I'm serious," he said following me out to the vending machine.

"Yeah, I was being completely serious as well," I said as I stopped to put my quarters into the machine. I looked for what number water was.

"Keaton," he said as I pressed the button, "it's so obvious that you're totally into me." I turned around with the most disgusted/ shocked face and once again he was dangerously close to where I was.

"Chase," I said the same whay he had said my name, "you couldn't be more completley wrong."

"Don't be ashamed, I'm of high demand here," he said smirking.

I rolled my eyes grabbed my water and looked at him with more disgust. "God you are so full of yourself," I shook my head, "why don't you leave me alone and go make out with Chelsea or Lauren." I brushe past him making my way back into the cafeteria.

"You know what, I think I will," he said, "try not to get too jealous."

"Wouldn't dream of it," I said walking in the separate direction as I uncapped my water to take a sip. I went back to sit with my friends and talk and for the rest of lunch I was at peace, but that peace won't last when I go to English class and I'm forced to sit in alphabetical order. Cole and Durou are too close, and in this class there is no one inbetween. There are exactly eleven people in our class whos names are between ours and none of them could be in period 6 English with Mrs. Goldstein. So just my luck I sit next to him.

"Pair up," Mrs. Goldstein said in the middle of class suddenly. I usually hated english because it meant reading, but writing and group projects I honestly didn't mind.

I was going to get up and go pair up with Michelle or anyone else, but Chase pulled me back down and I glared at him. "I know what the terms are," he smirked, "you work with me on whatever this project is so I don't get stuck with Erick."

"No," I said, "you already ate my oreo."

"I need an A and an oreo is not worth the risk of that play," he said.

"You won the game, you were praised for my idea and I don't think that's worth me failing this assignment," I said.

"You owe me," he said.

"I do not owe you, if anything you owe me," I said trying to stand up.

"You know you are really hard headed," he said pulling me back down.

"You know sometimes I really hate you," I said glaring at him.

"Are you two pairing up," Mrs. Goldstein asked surprised. It wasn't a secret most teachers, students and other staff knew that the two of us did not get along. We'd been sent to te office countless times for fighting. Once by Mrs. Goldstein this year. I can see how this might be a shock.

"Actually I was..." I got cut off.

"Yeah we're working together," he answered.

"Nice to see you two finally getting along," she moved on to recording the next group.

"I would hit you so hard right now if we weren't one more call to the office away from having our parents involved in this," I said. We had problems and our parents were actually friends, bizzar right.
♠ ♠ ♠
First story I hope it's okay