Just a Game

Chapter 6

The bus stopped very abruptly, easily waking me up from the nap I guess I had taken. I must have been exhausted because as soon as people stopped talking to me I knocked out. I opened my eyes slowely adjusting to the dim light of the bus and then looked around. Shit I still had to drive home and do my homework. I put my hand on what I thought was the seat, but it wasnt the seat. This was not a cusion, whatever I still used it to push myself up. "Oh good your awake," Chase said looking down on me.

"Next time just wake me up if you want to move," I said pushing myself away from him a bit. I don't know what game this boy was playing, he has been too nice to me. He's setting me up for something and if he thinks I'm letting my guard down, oh he has another thing coming.

I know the English paper was due tomorrow, but I was to tired to bs something about Chase right now. I'd do it tomorrow. I was pretty beast at getting homework done on the day it was due, it's because I never really stress out about not having it done. When I woke up I started on the easier part, the physical description. That was concrete, it was plain to see that he had brown hair, green eyes and was about 6-2. I'd just use strong adjectives to support the sentances. It was commenting on his personality that made me nervous. How do you say someone is arrogant and self-centered without making it seem negative.

I wrote my rough draft in every class I went to and planned on typing at lunch, you could tell when I came up with a good idea because I would smile and admire it. I had a lot of good ideas in Government, I'm pretty sure the girl next to me thought I was either crazy or on some type of drugs. I finished though, only two lines over a complete typed page ready to turn in as I walked into English class. I sat down feeling good and ready. "And where were you at lunch missy," Michelle came up to my desk.

"Library," I whispered and pointed to the paper on my desk.

"Of course and I'm sure it's flawless little miss perfect," Michelle said mockingly.

"Not even," I said waving it off, though truth be told I was really proud, my writing was pretty good. Getting thoughts out in exactly the right words sometimes doesn't come too easy. She rose her eyebrow in disbelief, but sauntered off to her seat before saying anything else. The bell rang and technically we were suppossed to be seted.

"Finish," Chase leaned over.

I nodded my head and held it up, "yup at least a good 250 words about you."

"Not sure if thats a good thing," he said raising his eyebrow.

"I'm sure there's something in here that can feed your ego, not that anyone really wants to see that," I said, "it's probably similar to whatever you wrote about me."

"I'd bet that mines better, but when it comes to school I'm pretty sure you'll win hands down," he said smiling.

"Turn in your assignments to Racheal," Mrs. Goldstein walked in snapping at Racheal to pick up everyones assignment. I proudly gave mine in. Mrs. Goldstein continued, "did you all enjoy this assignment." Everyone responded with a yeah, or mhmm so as not to get into any sort of trouble. "Good, now as an extra part to this project," she said, "after I grade them I won't be giving them back to you, rather I'm going to give it to the person you wrote about.

"What," both Chase and I said at the same time.

"Let them read about themself. Maybe a few of you people will learn something about yourselves, find places of improvement," she said glancing over all of us as to not specify who she was talking about.

I don't want him to see that, it's embarrassing, I hated people reading my writing. He'd probably make fun of it and I didn't even want to read all the absolutely horrible things he wrote about me. This is fantastic.

"Why didn't you tell us this before we turned it in," Racheal wined.

"Good question," Mrs. Goldstein said, "if I had done that, then no one would really know how the other felt. Everything would have been general and written so that feelings wouldn't get hurt and so as not to embarrass yourself."

I walked to my locker after class fumed, there is absolutely nothing that could ever make me happy again. I slammed my locker open and looked for my calculus book, I was just extremely angry. "Keaton," someone said beside me.

"What," I said completely fumed as I turned to face them. "Oh hey Nick," I quickly calmed down. Leave it to me to be fuming with anger, while one of the cutest guy decides to actually talk to me.

"Are you okay," he asked giving me a concrned look.

I bit my lip, "yeah, I'm fine."

"Alright cool," he said perking up, "we didn't really get to hang at the party, so I was wondering if you'd be interested in say dinner."

"Yeah, of course," I nodded smiling.

"Cool Friday, I'll pick you up at 8," he said. I nodded and he smiled and walked away. I bit my lip trying to stifle my excitement and watched in disbelief as he walked away. Did that really just happen. Yes it did, I just pinched myself and I'm pretty sure that was not a dream. I turned around and shut my locker.

"Did I just hear correct," Chase said walking over with a curious eye.

"If you are refferring to my date," I smiled, "then yes you heard correct." I began walking to the gym and like the parasite he is he followed me.

"And you're actually going to go out with him," he said.

"No, I said yes just to humor him and when he comes to pick me up I'm going to point, laugh and throw tomatoes at him," I said completely sarcastic. It should have been picked up, but I don't think it was.

"Really," he asked.

"No," I said shaking my head at him, "I'm not going to turn down maybe my only oportunity to go on a date with Nick."

"I don't think you should go," he said putting his hands in his pocket.

"Do I sense jealousy," I said smiling.

"Please Keaton," he said, "don't flatter yourself." I rolled my eyes, I don't care nothing can ever make me sad again. "I just don't like the guy, he's bad news," he said giving me a serious expression.

"You do realize most girls say the same thing about you," I said raising my eyebrow.

"Yes, exctly," he said, "and you would never go out with me right, so why would you go out with someone who has a similar or worse reputation than me."

"Good question, here's another," I said, "why do you care?"

"I don't," he said.

I opened the door to the gym and smiled, "good then it's settled, I'm going out on Friday and you don't care." I patted his shoulder and then walked into the locker room to get ready for practice.

"Guess who has a date with Nick," I said passing by Michelle who just rolled her eyes at the idea. Am I the only person in this school who didnt think that he was a bad guy. "And I don't care what you say, nothing in this universe could ever make me unhappy."

"Oh really," Michelle said with a doubtful expression, "how do you feel about Chase reading your essay."

"Sometimes I just hate you Michelle," I said back to the anger of that stupid project.

"Oh it couldn't be that bad, he already knows you hate him," she said.

"I don't care about that, but I'm going to be reading about what a total bitch I am," I said, "that's enough to keep me depressed for weeks." I hate the feeling of being a bad person, I like having friends and being liked. I like having that reassuring feeling that when the day is over I am a good person.