Just a Game

Chapter 7

After practice we decided to go get some ice cream, I'm pretty simple usually I'll just get vanilla with chocolate fudge and lots of it. And that's what I got. We weren't really making conversation, it was mostly making fun of each other and every so often chiming in with a proclamation of how insanely good the ice cream tasted. But Michelle knew how to start a conversation, "guess who Keaton has a date with."

"Michelle," I elbowed her, I didn't need the entire team knowing about my romantic life or lack there of.

"What," she said, "we're a team, we're like family, wouldn't you tell your brothers about this, so why not your sisters." She smiled devilishly as the other girls cheered 'who' in interest on the topic.

I glared at her, "actually I wasn't going to tell my brothers, but since you insist on everyone knowing why don't you just tell them." She made a pouty face as if my giving in was a little dissatisfying or that she wanted me to say it.

"Nick," she said turning to everyone else.

"Oh my God he's so cute," Kelsey said with big eyes and I nodded feeling good.

"I don't think it's the best idea," Anna said, "only speaking from experience." She shrugged, I was well aware of his reputation, but I wasn't an easy tramp like most other girls he's been with.

"See told you," Michelle made an a-ha face and pointed at me.

"Who's Nick," Lizzy asked, only freshman on the team of course she's clueless.

"Captain of the football team," Michelle said, "aka total asshole, but there's no convincing her she's had a crush since freshman year."

"I think we all know if there's anyone who can handle him it's me," I said confidently, "if he tries anything funny, I'd just snap his wrist."

"I love your confidence, but he's god a good six inches at least on you," Kelly said laughing, "I'm sure everything will be fine though."

"Thank you," I said, "it's nice to have some positive reinforcement." Kelly was always positive though, so I could never tell. In fact I'm pretty sure she's high most of the time, or she just has this natural high, look and feel.

"It's Kelly," Michelle said, "no offense, but really Keaton." I don't know what it is she is trying to tell me, and I am tough, I could easily take down a guy twice my size.

"I have brothers, don't worry, I'll be ..." I was interrupted, "oh that's my phone." I took it out of my pocket and looked at the number, I don't know it. "Does anyone recognize this number." I held out my phone and they all shook their heads, why was I asking, with caller id no one knew anyone's number these days. "Should I answer it?"

"No," half said.

"Yes," the other half said. I was going to listen to this half, but it was too late so i called back the number. I thoroughly enjoyed calling strange numbers and asking complete strangers to stop bothering me.

"Hello," I said into the phone when it was picked up.

"Keaton it's Chase," he said.

"What do you want and why do you have my number," I said immediately in an angry voice.

"Who is it," Michelle said.

I rolled my eyes and said, "chase." She started laughing and everyone joined in, even Lizzy who didn't know the half of it. I guess my hate was pretty blunt and very easy to see.

"I had an accident, my cars being towed, could you give me a ride," he said.

"Honestly you are an idiot," I said shaking my head, "I mean don't you have friends."

"They didn't answer," he said.

I rolled my eyes, "well you better try again, because I'm actually busy."

"Keaton you owe me, said so yourself," he said in a sinister voice.

"I hate you," I said shaking my head. He proceeded to tell me where he was and I couldn't even believe it. Why was I agreeing to this. "I gotta go," I said giving everyone a sad face.

"Why," Michelle said.

"Because I'm an ultra nice person," I said and then skipped out the door. I drove out into what I would describe as the middle of nowhere or at least for California it was the middle of nowhere. I drove down a steep hill and shook my head as I parked my car and got out.

"I don't even want to know how you managed this," I said looking at his car in the middle of a little river stream thing, it wasn't deep and it wasn't sanitary by the looks. But his car was there and how in the world does that happen.

"It rolled down the hill," he said shrugging.

I looked at it and then back at him, "and the tow truck hasn't come yet?"

"It'll be here soon," he said, "sorry for the inconvenience, but we can stop somewhere I'll get you some food."

"ha no way," I said, "I want to get rid of you as soon as possible."

"Come on," he said giving me a stern look. What was he crazy, I wasn't going no where with him. (I know terrible English) I crossed my arms and gave him the same stern look, yeah right buddy. And we both stood there staring at each other. I narrowed my eyes, this was getting old. "If you blink first, we eat, if I do you can leave me here," he said. It's on. Yes I lost, because the tow truck just about scared me to death. I know it seems like I'm bad with this, since I've already lost two bets, but I'm good. I have a higher winning percentage than him believe it or not. "Ha I win," he said.

"That's not fair, I was caught off guard," I crossed my arms.

"Doesn't matter you agreed," he said and then went over to the man who was towing his car to tell him where he wanted it towed to. I didn't even care to listen. "Okay, let's go," he said as he finished talking to that guy.

I rolled my eyes and said, "fine get in the car." He gave me directions to a small diner, I don't go too far out of my area when it comes to food, I really didn't even know why anyone would be over there.

We walked in and I mean I wasn't even really that hungry, but the place was cute. It was just like a burger place or I would guess that was the specialty. We sat down and I looked over the menu even though I knew that if anywhere it said burger that is exactly what I was getting. Then a lady, not old but not like young, came over to us.

"Chase," she said, "it's been so long how's your mom."

"She's good Maggie," he said.

"So what can I get you kids," she asked sweetly and then looked at Chase and said, "the usual." He nodded and she scribbled something.

"I'll have a lemonade, burger and fries," I said.

"With cheese?"

"Yes please." I smiled and handed the menu to her. And soon enough she came back with everything. "Thank you," I said as it was placed in front of me.

"Cute and polite," she said and then looked over to Chase, "this girls a keeper." My eyes darted up at the sound of that.

"Oh, we're not," I motioned with my hands not even wanting to say it. Boy was she far off.

"We're just friends," he said.

"Just friends, whatever you say, the last guy I said that about is my husband," she said smiling. I smiled politely until she walked away and then turned to Chase with my eyes narrowed and he was just laughing.

"It's not funny," I said looking at him, "insinuating that I am even friends with you is an insult."

"It's a little funny," he said.

"No," I said grabbing a french fry and biting it angrily. The rest went on in somewhat silence, we casually talked about school and our hate for our awful English teacher and her assignment until it was time to leave.