Just a Game

Chapter 9

Slight mishap, no problem I can totally recover. Funny thinking about what to tell my friends didn't take as long as I thought it would. I had decided pretty quickly that I was just going to leave out the end of the story and instead just say it was awful because he was so boring. I thought it would take me longer, but that sounded like a good plan. Now I had this whole long walk to think about anything else I wanted. But it was a nice night, summer so it was pretty warm. The sky was clear and the moon and stars are a perfect remedy to cure an awful date.

When things started to get more familiar I knew at least I was going the right way, I also knew it was probably late, oh well. I'm not afraid of the dark or my neighborhood, I'm not afraid of people, but I'll admit, I get a little creeped out when a car slows down and follows me. Stop, no, run, also no, just keep walking at your same pace, yes. But when the window started rolling down, I think I sped up a little.

"Keaton," shit it knows my name creepy.

"I'm just warning you I have pepper spray in my bag," I said and that is a total lie, I don't carry that stuff around with me, though I should.

"Relax it's just me," I decided maybe I should look to see who it is. Chase.

"Well, that's still creepy," I said. The last, scratch that second to last, person I would want to run into right now, I mean really. "Why are you driving around in the middle of the night anyways?"

"Are you really one to be asking," he said, "I mean your walking around at nearly midnight."

"This is a usual thing for me," I said, "it's my weekly midnight walk, it's really calming, and you're kind of ruining it for me." Great and right on the spot, maybe not great, but I still think it was pretty good. He began to drive off as if he believed me and then stopped and came back. "Really what is it now."

"Wasn't today your date with Nasse," he said.

I rolled my eyes, "what are you doing like memorizing my schedule."

"Did he make you walk home," he said with an almost victorious expression. I think he really did enjoy it when I was miserable.

"It was my choice to walk back," I said.

"Oh prince charming wasn't everything he's cracked up to be, huh," he said.

"What do you care," I said, this was justy making me more angry, "it's late, can you just leave, I don't feel like it right now."

His expression changed to almost sympathetic, jerk, "come on let me give you a ride."

"No, I'd rather walk," I said crossing my arms in anger.

"Come on would you swallow your pride for one minute," he said and a rose my eyebrow, "just take the offer."

"Fine," I said and got into the car. We were there in no time at all which is funny because if I had walked it would have taken forever. I ran to the house, but tried sneaking in very quietly, lucky for me my family actually likes to sleep pretty early and of course they trust me. So I was able to sneak in and up to my room, no questions, no nothing and I slept well. Surprisingly though I woke up at ten.

Thas early for me, especially on saturdays, I decided I was avoiding Michelle until later, I would call her eventually though, but she beat me too it. "Hey," I answered.

"Why didn't you call me," she said, "I left you a message."

"Sorry I just woke up," I said.

"Keaton it's 2," she said.

"And you're point is," I said.

"I will honestly never understand how you are able to sleep half the day away, what a waste," she said. We didn't see eye to eye on this, she liked waking up at 9 and having the whole day ahead of her. I feel like those days are just sooooo long. "Anyways how was it," she said.

"Awful," I said laying back on the couch.

"I don't mean to say I told you so, but I did," she said triumphantly, "what did he do."

"Do you always expect the worst in people," I asked.

"It's better than always expecting the best," she said. I do not, but I'm going to let tha go for now.

"Nothing, he didn't do anyhting, it's just I've never met such a boring uninteresting person in my entire life," I said, "I mean you don't understand, it was pure agony sitting there." It was, I'm hardly even lying.

"Oh so nothing else," she asked shocked.

"No," I said shrugging.

"Alright cool," she aid, "I'd love to talk more, but my mom is dragging me of to God knows what, so talk to you later." She hung up before I could say bye, but it's okay, she knows I would say it. We didn't really talk that weekend at all.