Status: Complete

Wash Away Our Mistakes

Always you

“Ryan? I can barely hear you,” Brendon frowns into his cell phone. He almost had a heart attack when he saw Ryan’s number on the caller ID. He was confused. It had been months since they talked last.

“I’m sorry Brendon,” Ryan says, voice muffled by static and the sound of heavy rain drops.

“Where are you?”

“I’m outside…your favorite book store…it’s raining,” only parts of what Ryan is saying is audible.

“Ryan, I’m coming to get you. Don’t go anywhere,” Brendon grabs his car keys off the counter and rushes out the door in only a tee shirt and jeans. Something in Ryan’s voice didn’t sound right. Why was he standing outside in the rain? Why was he calling after all these months of silence? “Ryan, can you hear me? Are you there?”

“I’m here,” is the quiet response.

“What are you doing outside? Why are you calling me? What’s going on? I’m…worried about you.”

“I’m okay. It’s just….”

“I can’t hear you. What did you say?”

“I didn’t say anything,” Ryan sighs. “Are you almost here? It’s getting cold.”

“Go inside. I’ll find you.”

“I can’t. I need to talk to you now. It’s important. I can’t say it over the phone. I thought I could but it’s too much.”

Brendon looks up at the red stoplight through the water on the windshield and reaches under his seat blindly. His fingers stretch and bump against the object he was searching for. He pulls up to the corner of the street and jumps out of his car. Ryan is soaked through and standing there like a ghost. It’s been so long. “Here, take this,” Brendon hands the other boy his umbrella.

“Thanks,” Ryan takes it and holds it up. The rain makes a quiet noise as it falls on it and for a while that is the only noise.

“What did you want to tell me?” Brendon asks, still the one who always gets right to the subject.

“I’m sorry. I made a mistake by leaving the band. I need you guys. It was stupid and I just wish I had realized it earlier before I ruined everything because now it’s too late.”

Brendon took a long moment to stare at the broken boy in front of him. He was still the boy Brendon had always loved since the moment they first met. “It was a mistake but it’s not too late. You didn’t ruin everything.”

“Can I come back please?” Ryan asks.

“Of course,” Brendon replies then pulls Ryan into his warm embrace. “Welcome home again Ry.”
♠ ♠ ♠
429 words