Echoes of the Past

Chapter One

My eyes were glued to the car window. Watching various shades of green grasses and trees rush by with the occasional splash of colored wildflowers. “Are we there yet?” I crooned from the back of the vehicle. Usually I’m not this impatient, but this was going to be an eventful day, I could feel it in my gut.

“Oh my God, Cami. You’re just like a little kid!” my best friend Melissa chuckled from the driver’s seat.

I laughed with her, “I know, but I’m so excited!”

“I’m pretty sure we’re all excited. If we do well today, who knows what will come our way next. We could go… ”

I spaced off while Melissa was naming off other locations we could go next. I didn’t mean to, but the view outside caught my attention. We had just rounded a group of hills that seemed to be guarding our destination.

I stared in awe, as we gradually inched closer and closer. The long drive ended right in front of a average two story, colorless house. I couldn’t tell if the numerous trees surrounding it caused the sight of scratched paint or if the building was that aged. Either way, it was still a beautiful sight to me.

A few yards from the house, was an old fashioned barn. It was built with about ten rows of rocks from the ground up. The rest was boards of wood with faded red paint. Parked next to the barn was a dark blue pick up truck, which next to the tattered buildings, looked out of place with the sun glinting off of the chrome fenders.

Our vehicle had barely come to a halt next to the truck; I had my seatbelt off and the door open. I didn’t wait for the rest of the group to exit the car before I started off to explore. I could hear Melissa make another remark about me behaving like a thrilled child as I ran up towards the door.

Grinning from ear to ear, I knocked on the door. This was it, I thought to myself. This whole investigation was going to change my life. I mean, I’ve investigated other haunting buildings, but they seemed to be childish compared to this bad boy.

It didn’t take long for the door to open up to a lean man with graying hair by the temples. He wore a shocked expression on his face, probably because we arrived about an hour earlier than scheduled. Of coarse that was my doing.

“Can I help you?” the man mustered.

“I think so. We’re here to investigate the property,” I said with a weary smile. His shocked face made me feel like there was something wrong with me. I was average height, a few pounds over weight. Maybe it was my red hair put up into a messy bun. I think I look smoking.

“Oh! You must be the paranormal crew. My dad said you would be coming today,“ his shocked look turned soft, “I didn’t think you would be here so soon.”

“That’s my fault. I wanted to come early and get the feel of the place before we started,” I apologized with an embarrassed laugh.

“That’s quite alright. You ladies come on in and I’ll show you around.” The man stepped aside.

I walked into the house, “Thanks! I’m Cami by the way.”

I introduced the rest of the group who had finally exited the car and that were now behind her. “This is Melissa,” I said laying my hand on my friend’s shoulder. She had long black hair that reached the middle of her back. I always teased that her hair was almost the same length as she was. It was a bad short person joke but she was friendly enough to laugh at her personal shortcomings. She wasn’t the only vertically challenged person in the group. Elissa was just on the verge of five feet. Her brown pixie cut didn’t do her personality justice. She could make a sailor cry with her vocabulary. Towering next to Elissa stood Carla. Her long curly brown hair ended at the top of Elissa’s head.

We were missing a few members of the group though. They were doing different investigations throughout the area. In my opinion, I think a few of them chose not to go on this particular investigation because of the property’s dark history and some of the paranormal occurrences visitors have reported.

The man appeared at the front of the group “My name’s Doug Tenny,” he added with a smile, “And I’ll be your guide. Follow me.”

As we followed Doug, I was studying the house. The interior of the residence looked far from what the shabby exterior did. The original gold and maroon striped wallpaper still clung to the walls; closer inspection showed that there weren’t even any tears in it. The drapes surrounded the windows bore no holes; just a little sun bleached. The wooden tables didn’t even appear tarnished or dusty.

Even though the house seemed orderly and elegant, the rooms held gruesome tales of the past. But the most horrific account, we were told, would be found on the rest of the property.

Doug led us out the front door. We followed closely behind; very intrigued to here the last anecdote, the one that outdid the rest.

We strode toward listening to Doug. We heard him talking but with the sound of gravel churning on the road droning in the background. Coming up the extended drive was a giant white van. Nobody said a word as it was being parked next to our Sedan.

A few seconds passed before the strangers exited. My heart began to beat faster while my legs felt like they were going to give out on me. I could feel my face getting hot all because of the man I saw standing in front of us.

It was none other than Zak Bagans and the rest of his Ghost Adventures Crew, Nick Groff and Aaron Goodwin. They were another paranormal investigation team, but were more recognized because of their television series.

If they were here, it could only be for one thing. I turned to Doug, “What are they doing here?”

Doug was taken aback from my tone, “I don’t know. Who are they?”

“They’re another paranormal crew.” I basically shouted at the poor man.

Doug’s furrowed his eyebrows, “I thought you were the crew?”

“We are the crew. We were booked to come here for the last two months.”

“So were we,” Zak stated as the three men approached our group.

“Oh, this is bad. I’ll be right back.” Doug scurried past us and back into the house.

It was bad all right. Another team was here to investigate the same place at the same time as we were scheduled. Worst of it was this masculine, bronzed man positioned just a few feet from me was making my nerves go crazy.

“This is just great,” I griped. “We’re screwed and it’s their fault.”

Elissa giggle, “I wish.”

“You know what I mean. They’ll get to stay while we’re kicked to the curb.” My happy mood went somber.

The three musketeers just stood and smiled smugly while I was throwing a fit.

“Alright!” Doug said as I returned to the group, “My dad forgot that he had already booked the guys before he booked the ladies. He’s elderly so of coarse everything slipped from his mind.” Doug added with a little chuckle.

“I knew it!” I cried as I threw my hands up. “Now we have to leave.”

“Not necessarily. Our groups can both investigate,” Nick chimed.

“Yea! You can be our guest investigators.” grinned Aaron.

That didn’t seem like such a bad idea. Who knows, once other people see what we can accomplish, maybe we’ll get to investigate more locations. Spending the night with seemed like a whole different adventure though.

“So, what do you say?” Zak gave me a smile that almost knocked me off my feet.

How could I say no to this man, “Sounds good to me.” I turned to my fellow friends.

“Hell yes!” Carla said for the group.

“Aw man, this is going to be awesome!” Aaron stuck his fist out for each of us to bump with ours.

I knew this day was going to be interesting. We not only get to investigate one of the most haunted houses in the state but I get to spend time with a guy who sends my heart racing. And so the adventure begins.